Fit of pants (Stcking to legs when sitting)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by blc456, Feb 6, 2013.

1. blc456

blc456 Senior member

Hello all,

I am having a little bit of a dilemma with pants. I am sure this is partly related to my build, but I am not sure what the best solution is. I have a slim frame (6ft 1, 175lbs) and usually wear a 32" in pants. The problem comes with the fact that i have big calves compared to my waist/thigh size.. I usually try to stick around an 8.25 leg opening on all my pants in order to maintain a slimmer looking silhouette. The problem is on dress pants/chino's alike when i sit down and stand up the pants "stick" to my calves and I need to pull them down with my hands. I am assuming this is not normal?

If I go bigger than 8.25", the rest of the pant looks too baggy on me. I am not sure what the best solution is. Any suggestions?

2. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

you might have to get your pants tailored. most likely buy a bit larger then tailor them.

3. GBR

GBR Senior member

Larger size needed possibly with some alterations. Does this affect all makes - have you even tried shopping around? If none of this works then MTM.

4. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Your pants should be tailored so that they taper slightly as they run towards the ankle.

5. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

Sounds like you should look into pleats.

6. blc456

blc456 Senior member

I have tried multiple pants (Howard Yount, Epaulet, J crew classic fit, Lands end tailored fit) and they all have the same issue. They are sticking to my calf even though the pants fit great everywhere else.

7. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

Shouldn't be too hard for a tailor to diagnose/fix.

8. allysan1027

allysan1027 Well-Known Member

9. realkingo

realkingo Member

I have a similiar problems with my calves (I used to play soccer).
    Compared to the rest of the body, they're really large. After sitting down, I often had to pull down the legs of the trousers to rearrange them...
    I have never been able to buy slim-fit pants, although now I realized its not such a bad thing.

For me Uniqlo/Banana Republic worked for chino pants, Hugo Boss for wool pants/suits.
    But lately, I buy most of my stuff at Suit Supply.
    I would strongly recommend getting MTM trousers/suits if you really have that much trouble finding fitting trousers off the rack.

10. blc456

blc456 Senior member

Any particular models at these places that you went with?

11. realkingo

realkingo Member

For Uniqlo it would be:
    Men Vintage Chino Flat Front / Men Washed Flat Front Pants / Men Stretch Cotton Flat Front Pants.
    (Basically any trousers, which don't have "slim" in the name)

Banana Republic:
    Tailored grey wool suit pants/ vintage chinos (relaxed-fit will make you look like wearing diapers underneath ).

For Hugo Boss:
    Don't recall the names, but I would stick to Boss (Black) and Boss Selection.

For me Uniqlo offers the best value for money in case of chino pants.
    For wool pants, I believe Hugo Boss is a bit too expensive, as you can get MTM in their price range. Therefore, I'd go with Suit Supply.
    With my last 2 personal tailoring suits I just ordered an extra pair of pants.

Buying a size bigger and getting the pants tailored did not work out for me.
    As everything but the calves seemed to be ill-fitting afterwards and I started to feel uncomftorble in the pants.

Also stretching my legs every morning and before going to bed worked, reducing some of the mass.
    In my case a physiotherapist noticed, that the muscles of my thighs are a bit to short.
    Consequently, I used my calves much more when walking and running, ending up in building up extra calve muscle.

12. Veremund

Veremund Senior member