• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit of pants (rlpl, kiton, brioni, ..)

Fanthom

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm looking for pants/slacks on eBay, from e.g. Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Kiton, Brioni. Since there isn't any stores carrying these labels where I live, I'd be interested in information regarding the fit of their respective pants.

I'm quite slim, and find Polo RL to be too wide in the thighs. Does RLPL have the same fit?

What about italian high-end labels like Kiton and Brioni?

Marcus

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I think we're all waiting for Andrew to post here...

Hard to beat his post on the suits/sport coats, though...

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have much more experience with suit trousers than separates but I'm guessing the fit is similar. In my experience RLPL pleated dress trousers are rather full-cut while the flat front models are slimmer.

In my experience Brioni cuts their trousers quite slim and Kiton trousers are basically a standard cut. The problem is that all these brands do a variety of cuts so it's hard to generalize.

I have the opposite problem - I need full-cut trousers. When I'm looking at a pair on ebay I ask the seller to measure the leg width for me. Ask for the width at your inseam measurement, and at the knee. If you specify points to measure (x inches from the crotch) you can compare the measurements to trousers that fit you well.

Hope that helped.

davei

Reaction score
I've found that two views of the pants to be very helpful/indicative of the cut: 1) full length view, folded like you're going to put them in a clip hanger (I don't know how to describe it accurately, but it would follow the crease of the trousers, if any.) Since you know the waist size, it's easy to see if the line of the trousers is tapered (usually slim fitting) or straight (full). 2) full length again, but this time folded like a pair of jeans. Lay trousers out flat so pockets are on the left right, fly is facing you, seat behind (no pun intended). Fold along the fly, folding the waistband in half so the two pockets are face/face. Smooth everything out and lay flat. In this view, the fit of the seat (butt, thigh area) can be determined. A large curve (like a "J") in the crotch along is usually full fitting, less curve = less area/less material, slim fitting. Both are somewhat difficult to visualize in words so I suggest trying it out with some of your own pants to get the idea if you haven't already
smile.gif
. I've found the above two views extremely useful with jeans - by folding them as above I can usually tell if the fit will appeal to me without even trying them on. Another thing I've found helpful is to visualize in terms of pattern pieces, if you can see the seams in a photo it's the perfect way to know whether something will fit or not. This is also helpful for any alterations that may need to be done.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tell me about it.

I'm 6'4" and most of my height is in the torso (my inseam is only 32.") So I need REALLY high rise pants. Nothing (short of 1 or 2 pairs of Purple Labels) has enough rise for me. So I tend to ignore rise because all pants look more or less bad on me if I'm not wearing a jacket.

You have all heard me say that I don't like to wear a shirt tucked in without a jacket. I have to admit that there is quite a bit of bias in that opinion as none of my pants fit well enough to carry it off.

For those that aren't sure - rise is the distance from the crotch to the top of the waistband.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads