• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit of overcoats? Less tailoring better?

Mr. Mystery

Reaction score
I have a few overcoats, somewhat slimmer in design, wouldn't fit over a suit, but heavy sweater.

I've had them both taken in/slimmed pre SF, but lately I've felt like having them let out more in waist suppression downwards slimming. Is it the better look to have a straighter lined back or one that curves with the back inwards than out over the but. Although this silhouette looks ideal for suits, I'm finding the overcoats I have can tend to look a bit womanly in curvature. They are not super tight, and have enuff room to squeeze a scarf under, but I'm beginning to feel they should be looser around the body for a better silhouette, with a solid straight drape from shoulders/back downwards.

Thoughts on this would be very appreciated.

Edit: Oh yeah, my overcoats are mid thigh in length.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like my overcoat with a slight waist suppression. Nothing dramatic, just a very slight one. But I live in Southern CA, so overcoats are light affairs and can be a bit slimmer without any problems.

Mr. Mystery

Reaction score
jambo, mine fit the same as his bassically, but I'm a thinner guy, and not cut to wear a suit under.

That picture isn't the best example because his arm is in the way of most of the back.

I've also noted that they can often skirt out at the bottom kinda dress like, which I'm not too fond of.

Also waist suppression is different with a topcoat as in it's one slimmed line down, for me anyway, the coat naturally curves inwards and out down the back though. I guess because of it's general tightness.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like my overcoats to be as well fitting as my suits.

Mr. Mystery

Reaction score
"I like my overcoats to be as well fitting as my suits." - jayjay

That's the thing! I'm beginning to feel that it shouldn't be tailored like a suit because a suit stops shorter. Where an overcoat goes longer, I feel you'd want less suppression because of the longer length skirting out at the bottom would appear more dress (woman's) like and less cape like, with a clean line down.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear a suit, and then have it tailored to fit over the suit.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Mystery
"I like my overcoats to be as well fitting as my suits." - jayjay

That's the thing! I'm beginning to feel that it shouldn't be tailored like a suit because a suit stops shorter. Where an overcoat goes longer, I feel you'd want less suppression because of the longer length skirting out at the bottom would appear more dress (woman's) like and less cape like, with a clean line down.

My overcoats don't skirt out at the bottom like that.

Mr. Mystery

Reaction score
"My overcoats don't skirt out at the bottom like that." -jayjay

Perhaps it's the fabric.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^No, that would be the cut. The maker controls what the skirt of a garment looks like too.

mic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jambo
I'm not sure that there is a single answer to this. It depends on personal preference and overall style. For example, I would not feel comfortable rocking an overcoat with this much waist suppression, but I have to admit it looks OK on this guy.

http://www.thesartorialist.com/photo...me_6905Web.jpg

respectfully, it doesn't look good at all on this guy.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best to wear something a few times before having it tailored for fine tuning.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As with both suits and sportcoats, there's good waist suppression and bad waist suppression. I don't think a coat should be tight, but that doesn't mean it can't be shaped. Tightness is a separate issue, and often the result of trying to cinch in RTW.

In the modernized take on Sherlock Holmes that recently aired on BBC/PBS, Sherlock wears a very nifty coat that is nicely shaped, when viewed from the back, but doesn't look at all feminine.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, no, no! You have it all wrong! Anything with more shaping than a 4 size too large t-shirt means you bat for the other team!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads