• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit of Loafers

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couldn't find a helpful thread on this. I purchased first pair of loafers and am having difficult assessing proper fit. Is it common for people to size down 1/2 size to get a better fit in the heel?

Problem I'm encountering is at my normal size, in a brand new pair, my heal can easily and completely slip out if I simply lift my heel. While I know that heel slippage is reduced after breaking in the soles, I'm not sure if the break-in will be enough to curtail the amount of slippage going on.

If I size down 1/2, my heel is nicely snug, but it is quite tight across the vamp. Again, this pair is also brand new, and I know the leather *should* stretch a bit. The fit of the leather is noticeably snug/tight, but the length seems fine (standing on carpet, anyway) and it doesn't hurt. If these were lace-ups or monks, I would certainly opt for my normal size where laces or straps keep my feet in place, even in an elongated last. Just not used to the tightness and not sure if it will really stretch enough.

Any advice in helping decide which pair to keep?

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally size down an entire to a half a size on loafers.

DandySF

Reaction score
Loafers can be the hardest shoe to fit properly. Soft soled loafers are a bit less of a fit problem than hard soles. If the heel is slipping today you should return the shoe. The key is to get a width that is snug enough to hold the shoe to your foot, since this is what will reduce heel slipping.

Mexicorn

Reaction score
Have you checked if they offer the shoe in wider widths?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mexicorn
Have you checked if they offer the shoe in wider widths?

Not available. But the leather is quite stiff and the soles are standard leather soles. Since they are brand new, it's hard to assess what will happen with either size.

But it appears that I should opt for the snugger version and break them in gradually. I guess if my heel is essentially slipping out with my normal size, it won't get much better even with some break in.

EricE.

Reaction score
i had exactly the same problem!!!
i got some tassel loafers as a present and they look great. but i slipped out of them all the time. what i did, was putting these heel grip thingys in there and now they are fine.

i still havent broken them in so they kind of feel weird with the heel grips in there but im very sure that will be gone in a few more days of wear.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
for loafers I always have to break in the shoe to really assess if it's comfortable or not. I usually end up sizing down half a size.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EricE.
i had exactly the same problem!!!
i got some tassel loafers as a present and they look great. but i slipped out of them all the time. what i did, was putting these heel grip thingys in there and now they are fine.

i still havent broken them in so they kind of feel weird with the heel grips in there but im very sure that will be gone in a few more days of wear.

Yah, I don't like heel grips because they end up getting shredded or loosing elasticity like a wet band-aid. And I don't like using tongue pads. If I have to use an insole to adjust fit, then I know I just have the wrong size.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have found that in loafers I take a 13 whereas I normally wear a 12.5. Go figure.

I can tell you to go with the snugger fit as they will stretch out considerably.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Yah, I don't like heel grips because they end up getting shredded or loosing elasticity like a wet band-aid. And I don't like using tongue pads. If I have to use an insole to adjust fit, then I know I just have the wrong size.

size down half a size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads