• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit of hugo boss dress shirts

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have one black label dress shirt. i'd say it's on the slimmer side, but not very. the "philip" cut by polo is actually smaller. the shoulders on a boss are not tapered, only the body. my boss doesn't fit me too well, (a touch baggy) but i couldn't resist because i loved the fabric and the collar.

aybojs

Reaction score
I don't have a Borrelli, but I've tried a few on and found them all to be way too baggy for me to wear OTR, so I'm surprised you'd call them trim. At any rate, I find that $65-75 is way too much to be paying for Hugo Boss (they can often be had for $30-40 at outlets or Neiman's/Sak's sales); maybe you should look around locally or try dabbling in custom?

At any rate, I have one Hugo Boss shirt and I find it to be broad shouldered and fairly baggy in the waist, though I imagine we don't have similar figures, so that may not be too helpful.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have a Borrelli, but I've tried a few on and found them all to be way too baggy for me to wear OTR, so I'm surprised you'd call them trim.  
That's because you've probably tried the Borrelli's made for Neiman Marcus and thus cut fuller for the American market.

bryce330

Reaction score
I have noticed that the Boss shirts in America are significantly fuller than those sold in Europe. I picked up a few in Amsterdam last year that were pretty trim and undoubtedly cut slimmer than those sold at Saks.

The fact that the seller advertises the shirt as "sold primarily in Europe" makes me think it might be one of the slimmer Boss shirts.

I have noticed the same thing with Borrelli - the ones that are made for Neiman Marcus and other American stores tend to have a very full cut, but I have picked up a few on Yoox that were surprisingly trim, although I wouldn't really call them "slim-fitting" shirts.

bryce330

Reaction score
Mr. Thracozaag - how do the shirts sold at the Borrelli boutique in NYC compare in terms of fit?

Also, does anyone know a place to buy Borrelli shirts in the vicinity of Rome or Naples? I will be in Southern Italy in November and would like to pick up some of the slimmer-cut shirts while I'm there. The Borrelli web site says they have a store in Milan, but I'm assuming they must at least be available in Southern Italy as well.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr. Thracozaag - how do the shirts sold at the Borrelli boutique in NYC compare in terms of fit?

Also, does anyone know a place to buy Borrelli shirts in the vicinity of Rome or Naples?  I will be in Southern Italy in November and would like to pick up some of the slimmer-cut shirts while I'm there.  The Borrelli web site says they have a store in Milan, but I'm assuming they must at least be available in Southern Italy as well.
They're the slimmest cut that you'll find that Borrelli produces (aside from custom, of course). Not as slim as say, Ascot Chang, but certainly slimmer than the ones made for department stores especially along the shoulders and sides.

Naples is the home of Borrelli, so go to town, so to speak. While in Naples, I would highly recommend trying Barba (slimmer than Borrelli), and above all, Anna Matuozzo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads