1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Fit of hugo boss dress shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bigbadbuff, Sep 26, 2003.

1. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Distinguished Member

2. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Distinguished Member

i have one black label dress shirt. i'd say it's on the slimmer side, but not very. the "philip" cut by polo is actually smaller. the shoulders on a boss are not tapered, only the body. my boss doesn't fit me too well, (a touch baggy) but i couldn't resist because i loved the fabric and the collar.

3. aybojs

aybojs Senior Member

I don't have a Borrelli, but I've tried a few on and found them all to be way too baggy for me to wear OTR, so I'm surprised you'd call them trim. At any rate, I find that $65-75 is way too much to be paying for Hugo Boss (they can often be had for $30-40 at outlets or Neiman's/Sak's sales); maybe you should look around locally or try dabbling in custom?

At any rate, I have one Hugo Boss shirt and I find it to be broad shouldered and fairly baggy in the waist, though I imagine we don't have similar figures, so that may not be too helpful.

4. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Distinguished Member

thanks for the help.

5. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Distinguished Member

That's because you've probably tried the Borrelli's made for Neiman Marcus and thus cut fuller for the American market.

6. bryce330

bryce330 Senior Member

I have noticed that the Boss shirts in America are significantly fuller than those sold in Europe. I picked up a few in Amsterdam last year that were pretty trim and undoubtedly cut slimmer than those sold at Saks.

The fact that the seller advertises the shirt as "sold primarily in Europe" makes me think it might be one of the slimmer Boss shirts.

I have noticed the same thing with Borrelli - the ones that are made for Neiman Marcus and other American stores tend to have a very full cut, but I have picked up a few on Yoox that were surprisingly trim, although I wouldn't really call them "slim-fitting" shirts.

7. bryce330

bryce330 Senior Member

Mr. Thracozaag - how do the shirts sold at the Borrelli boutique in NYC compare in terms of fit?

Also, does anyone know a place to buy Borrelli shirts in the vicinity of Rome or Naples? I will be in Southern Italy in November and would like to pick up some of the slimmer-cut shirts while I'm there. The Borrelli web site says they have a store in Milan, but I'm assuming they must at least be available in Southern Italy as well.

8. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Distinguished Member

They're the slimmest cut that you'll find that Borrelli produces (aside from custom, of course). Not as slim as say, Ascot Chang, but certainly slimmer than the ones made for department stores especially along the shoulders and sides.

Naples is the home of Borrelli, so go to town, so to speak. While in Naples, I would highly recommend trying Barba (slimmer than Borrelli), and above all, Anna Matuozzo.