• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit of Costco shoe trees

mg428

Reaction score
I own Woodlore Epic shoe trees and have recently bought Costco shoe trees.

First off, I need to stat that they are not the same. Before buying the latter I thought that they might be Epic without the Woodlore brandname.

Here is my question: The Epic fits to my shoes well. The Costco shoe trees fit snugger, especially in terms of width. Although I am aware, as indicated on the box of Costco shoe, that "the split-toe design is made to uniquely fit the width of shoes by exerting equal pressure in all directions", I was wondering whether the snugger Costco shoe trees would increase the width of my shoes or even perhaps damage my shoes. Or, would you say, as long as they fit, both trees will have the same effect and will fit exactly the same.

Thanks.

mg428

Reaction score
Help pls! Because I may buy a bunch of more Costco shoe trees...

instep

Reaction score
Whether they deform your shoes depends not only on the outward pressure they are exerting, but also the construction and leather quality of your shoes: I've sent shoes from stretching that have come back too loose, and then others that did not change a bit despite being put through the same stretching process.

That said, I'm doubtful that a pair of shoe trees would exert sufficient force to deform shoes permanently, unless of course most/all of the pressure happened to be focussed on a particular spot.

mg428

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
I suppose they could slightly stretch the leather if they're really bulging.

How much effort do you have to put into putting the trees in? If it's not unreasonable, they're probably fine. If you have to really strain to get them in, they're probably too big.

Well, when inserting the shoe trees, I don't have any problem, but it is a bit hard to take them out.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what size shoes do you wear? This will help in the Costco tree discussion. In my experience, the Costco tree is best for a 9.5D or 10D US size.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use the Costco trees in my 10.5's and they are just barely long enough to do the job, although the high vamp helps a lot. I'd say their sweet spot is a 9.5-10.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They fit quite snugly in my US 9.5Ds.

mg428

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
They fit quite snugly in my US 9.5Ds.

They fit quite snug to my US 10D.

I concur that US 10.5D is perhaps the last geater size it can be used. US 11D might be OK if used with a narrow shoe.

The thing is that I don't have any problem with the length. The problem is the width. It is quite snug. Due to the snug width, perhaps US 10.5D might be the ideal size to use these trees with. I have a pair of C&J shoes in US 10.5D sizing that I bought mistakenly in my early SF days. Although they are on 341 last which has a narrower fit and thus I don't know whether it will be determinative in this regard, I will try to try them on these shoes and report back.

a-rock

Reaction score
9.5 is probably the smallest size they'll fit IMO even though the box says size 8-11. how anyone would fit the trees in a size 8 without tearing your shoe apart is beyond me.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They fit some of my 9's alright, others not so much.

Jacksdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I use the Costco trees in my 10.5's and they are just barely long enough to do the job, although the high vamp helps a lot. I'd say their sweet spot is a 9.5-10.

Exactly. I am a 10.5 and they are not long enough IMO. If I put in a pair of traditional nordstrom shoe trees you don't see the crease in the toe box area. With the Costco's I have to shove them forward and still can place my index finger in the back.

osc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a-rock
9.5 is probably the smallest size they'll fit IMO even though the box says size 8-11. how anyone would fit the trees in a size 8 without tearing your shoe apart is beyond me.

They fit my 8.5 AEs just fine - fully compressed and slips right in like a perfect fit.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
what size shoes do you wear? This will help in the Costco tree discussion. In my experience, the Costco tree is best for a 9.5D or 10D US size.

+1

Many of my 11's are too big for them. I havent noticed any problems with the width.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads