• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fit in slim jackets, but not pants

a-rock

Reaction score
here's my problem... slim suits fit me the best but i can never fit in the pants that come with those suits. a lot has to do with the low rises and small thighs. i guess i'm bottom heavy but i'm a fairly trim 38/32. maybe its all the cycling i do on the wkends.

went to SCP to check out some of the sales. BB - tried on the regent and fitzgerald suits. not bad. then it came to the pants and i could barely fit in them. (for some reason the regent comes with 7 in drop and the fitzgerald the std 6?) the madison pants fit but with the pleats and baggy jacket, the mrs called me old-man
plain.gif

at RL i saw a navy peak lapel Black Label suit with very faint shadow striping in the sale rack. i couldn't believe they had a pretty staple BL in 38 for $699??? the jacket was super sharp. but alas, no luck with the pants. i was pretty bummer.

i did find a navy suit in the polo line for $499 on the same rack. with the waist pinned in it looked fine and the pants fit perfectly. i went ahead with the purchase. a good staple suit at that price i couldn't go wrong right?

i buy a lot of h&m for casual going out tops but i can't fit in any of their pants either.

anyone else share the same dilemma? any trimmer brands/lines out there that don't have ridiculously low-riser pants or make suit separates?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
your best bet is probably shell out a bit more and go made to measure, instead of constantly looking for the RTW items that will not fit you base on your smaller drop.

Reaction score
I have the same problem (do all cyclists deal with this?) and am still looking for something.

I know Theory gets a lot of hate here, but they have suit separates (and a store at SCP) that seemed to fit me pretty well, I'm a 40 and have a 32 waist. The pants come in three fits, a relaxed, a straight and a narrow for each jacket, so I don't think you'll have a problem. It was out of my budget though, being an editorial assistant, so I had to pass.

Club Monaco fit me pretty well too.

I hope you find something, and when you do, tell me about it!

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have the same problem, and beer is only making it worse! Anyway, I recently purchased a Paul Smith suit, and the tailor added 1-1/2 inches to the waist on the trousers. Bottom line is, try asking first how much can the matching trouser's waist be let out.

fox81

Reaction score
another cyclist here, and the same problems. some places sell suit separates, so you can get a 34 pant with a 38 jacket, or whatever you need.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by factorial
Wear more odd jackets and trousers?
smile.gif

I actually consider this to be a good option. Now, I have gone the bespoke route so at present I manage to avoid the problem, but as my wife wants us to buy a new flat I may have to go back to RTW...
frown.gif

If so, I will then probably go for odd jackets and trousers. I am aware of the fact that many people have to use a suit for work, but if not, well, I feel as "elegant" with a nice sport coat and trousers as with a suit. Actually, I often find sport coat & trouser combos more "interesting" than suits. Also, they have the advantage that if you ruin one of the items, you do not automatically have to throw away the other one.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to be a cyclists and had the same problem with the thighs being too narrow for most suit pants. During that period I didn't wear or own a lot of suits but the ones I did wear were separates.

a-rock

Reaction score
christopherluu, fellow OC biker here! don't buy theory at the scp store. saks and bloomingdales both carry theory and you can wait for a major sale or private sale. loehmans at the marketplace is also full of theory, including the suits. you might get lucky with your size.

yes it seems like people here will give you flack for the brand but that japanese-based label really does fit the asian body well. at least do yourself the favor of buying it way on the cheap. the outlet at cabazon and camarillo also carry mens.

i would wear odd jackets and trousers although my suit needs tend to be for more formal occassions like weddings, banquets, or job interviews. so i don't have a daily need for a variety of coats and trousers in my line of work. i hear everyone on the suit separates; it just seems most brands that offer separates are the ones that make ppl hear groan. i figure if i'm only going to have a few basic suits, might as well make them nice, yeah? TaT or mytailor might be my next routes.

the polo suit i picked out should be ready in about a wk. very excited about how the jacket turns out after their tailor gets done with it.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to find Theory very inconsistent in their sizing. I wear a 44 jacket but have a 32 in waist which is impossible to find because most 44R suits come with 38 pants. I was a swimmer and did Taekwondo so my thighs have a hard time fitting into 32in slim pants. But there never seems to be anything in between. Either I look like I'm wearing tights or genie/MC Hammer pants.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have a 6 inch drop, how is that slim? Do you mean just narrow lapels?

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BB Regent and Fitzgerald are trimmer lines and have a 7" drop,their jackets fit me well,but pants are tight,if you go with Madison,you will get a baggy suit.

a-rock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
If you have a 6 inch drop, how is that slim? Do you mean just narrow lapels?

yeah i didnt mean my drop is huge. but my shoulders and waist are trim. on the BB fitz for example, i fit the coat fine but it would still need some trimming on the back and sides. so i'm technically could even go slimmer on a slim suit. i need a golden fleece jacket but madison pants.

i've just relegated myself to just have a huge ass and thighs i guess. or i just tell the mrs i require pants with a lot of rise for obvious reasons.
eh.gif

the ideal suit for me would be a RL black label jacket paired with the blue label pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads