1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Fit Details for Important Client Meeting

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ImTheGroom, Mar 6, 2014.

Thoughts, and opinions

1. White Shirt

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Grey Shirt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Blue Shirt

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Wear the vest

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Don't wear the vest

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. Red or Burgundy Tie (I have a selection)

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  7. Navy/yellow striped tie

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  8. You'll look weird/dumb wearing a suit; go less formal.

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

- White shirt is almost the right choice if meeting with someone who dressed CBD. You could go with a light blue shirt if you don't mind being a bit less CBD, but the shirt in question is too dark and should not be worn with a tie IMO.

- No vest. No hat. You are trying to look well put together, not be overly conspicuous.

- Burgundy tie of those choices. I'd prefer a grey or powder blue tie to burgundy, but I don't love most navy and yellow stripes, so burgundy wins.

Good luck with the meeting.

2. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

But what is he wears a Homburg instead of a Fedora?!?!?!! That will look okay since Homburgs are more deliberate, and less trend-following!!!!

3. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

He's not being argumentative, he is just sounding out his thoughts.

4. Mr. Claymore

Mr. Claymore Senior member

Why did you lose out on him last year?

How formal is the restaurant?

What else are you doing that day?

Sure, you are most comfortable in a suit and that is what you naturally wear to an important meeting. Yes, this is a very important meeting but you have to be aware of what your outfit conveys. That is what the forum is trying to tell you. If the guy is used to seeing you in athletic clothing it will be a bit strange to see you in a three piece suit. If it is a white table cloth restaurant don’t show up in sweats. If you are working in the office before or after the lunch wear something appropriate for both.

He is not trying to meet you as a peer. He is not going to bank with you. He just wants to be confident that you are the right guy to train his kids. NO HAT. NO VEST. NO TIE. If I was in your place I would probably wear a sport coat, no tie.

Mind you this is coming from someone who wears a three piece suit 95% of the time, wears a hat every day (yes, even a bowler), doesn’t own a pair of jeans or sweat pants, and even on occasion waxes his moustache. I definitely understand your conflict.

On the other hand, the more important question is why didn’t he hire you last year. It probably wasn’t on account of your clothes. Solve that issue and your clothes won’t matter. However, it’s probably best that they don’t get in the way either.

1 person likes this.
  5. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

That!

1 person likes this.