1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Fit Details for Important Client Meeting

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ImTheGroom, Mar 6, 2014.

Thoughts, and opinions

1. White Shirt

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Grey Shirt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Blue Shirt

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Wear the vest

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Don't wear the vest

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. Red or Burgundy Tie (I have a selection)

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  7. Navy/yellow striped tie

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  8. You'll look weird/dumb wearing a suit; go less formal.

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I have a meeting with a client that I lost out on last year, and in the previous two years represented something in the ballpark of 25% or more of my income. For context, I train his kids who are high level hockey players, so he usually sees me in sweats/underamour. I'm working in an office setting in the financial district, part time, this month, so I'm wearing real clothes to work there. He's a lawyer, and not originally from Vancouver, so not a hippie. So he wears suits, and we're meeting for lunch on Friday. Doesn't seem like he's a real style enthusiast when I've seen him in his work attire, but dresses well, classic/ordinary CBD.

I'm going to wear this suit:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My questions are:
    Wear the vest, or not? (Might it seem pompous?)

Light blue, white, or grey shirt? (Light blue is barrel sleeves, grey I have either, white is french cuffs)

Burgundy/red tie, or yellow/navy striped?

I'll be wearing a knee length black raincoat. Black Homburg, mid grey Fedora, or no hat? He may nt even see my outerwear, if I get to the restaurant first, of course.

2. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

-W/O vest
    -No hat
    -White shirt
    -Better knot on tie

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  3. zbhanji3

zbhanji3 Member

I would go with no tie to this lunch. You are seeing him in an informal setting, but are respecting what he does and the requirements for his attire. Personally, i like the grey shirt with no vest and would suggest a colourful pocket square as well.

4. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

I think the guy would be very impressed with seeing a guy who works with athletes for a living cleaning up so well. I say, all systems go.

I can't imagine wearing a business suit to a business meeting without a tie. It might work with a sportcoat and dress pants.

5. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

+1
    You are trying to win business back..not just meeting for lunch.

6. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

The hat's off the table. The blue shirt is too dark for my taste. Wear a lighter shirt, and whatever tie appeals to you.

7. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

This is as much a sociological and psychological issue as a sartorial issue: surely you should dress in whatever way makes *him* feel most comfortable.

You're the one who knows him and the restaurant. Granted, neither of those will tell you what color shirt to wear, but they should tell you whether to wear a tie and whether to wear a suit, no?

Cheers,

Ac

8. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Very good point. The context calls for a suit, and tie, definitely. The question of the vest, is really whether it will make me look like a dandy? I would have to admit to being a dandy, but I'd rather have the work, than compliments on my clothing.

9. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

The fact that the question has occurred to you doesn't argue well for the vest. Even if there's a sartorial case to be made in its favor, the psychological effect on you (you're worried about) would trump that.

Not everything that *can* be cast as a sartorial question should be.

Cheers,

Ac

10. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I love the vest, love wearing it, and feel completely comfortable in it. My reservation is how it might be interpreted; perhaps I am overthinking this?

11. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Yep.

Scrap the vest.

12. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

So you worked for this guy and then you didn't work for him and now he wants to hire you again?

How casual, high end or formal is the restaurant? How do men usually dress in your field, not his?

If you are an IT guy and show top in a navy suit, white shirt, burgundy tie, it looks like you are trying too hard and showing how important the meeting is. If you do financial work a mid grey suit is fine. You are not a corporation, right?

Dress well but comfortable for who you are and what you do. If you over dress and are uncomfortable it works against you in the same way if you dress too casual. I think the point is to reconnect with a former client and forge a new relationship. Dress well enough but showing up to lunch at a middle of road restaurant in a blue suit and white shirt may not be needed. Understatement is sometimes better. Assess the situation and then relax.

2 people like this.
  13. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Listen to the man.

I personally think the fedora and vest make the outfit look costumey. The fedora especially.

[​IMG]

14. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Except the guy on the right is wearing a fleece quarter zip, t-shirt, and a pinstriped Trilby.

15. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

That's not my point. My point is that brimmed hats look ridiculous and out of place in this day and age. It doesn't matter if you have the finest three piece suit and the finest fedora from Optimo. You still look anachronistic.

If your main job is a hockey coach and you wear sweatshirts to work, you're going to look like you're wearing a costume in that getup in the nutcracker picture.

You're trying to hard to please this customer. Just wear a two piece and be done with it. No hat.

16. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Good point. Plus it is a low-quality hat.

17. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I do get your point; that's actually why I tend toward the Homburg with a suit. It looks more deliberate, and less trend-following, since most people don't know the difference between a good fedora, and a cheap trilby.

I vastly prefer hats to umbrellas, to the point that I don't even own an umbrella. I will probably go hatless, if it isn't raining. Chances are, however, it will be raining.

18. 89826

89826 Senior member

Directly as possible: no upside to wearing vest or hat. Both are close to strange nowadays. Blue suit, white shirt, and red tie are a drippy combination. Like a hack politician. Grey suit, blue shirt, and a tie with a little pop.

1 person likes this.
  19. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

:brick:

Look, you asked for advice about your meeting, and we've been giving you sound advice but you're being argumentative all the way.

If you want to wear a brimmed hat and vest, fine, be my guest. Your customer might think you're trying to hard. If that's a risk you want to take, go ahead.

20. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

THIS.