• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit critique MTM shirts - which of the three tailors to stay with - what changes to be made

bhakjdlmn1

Reaction score
I think he meant to comment on your posture. Take a picture from the side.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello gentlemen,

finally I was able to take some pictures of the MTM shirts I do possess till now.
To be honest I am a bit shocked, they look a lot worse to my eye on the pictures than I thought they were from looking into the mirror.
I am not satisfied with a single one of them.
Each one of them is made by a different tailor and they cost me between 150-200€ = $220-280.

What I am asking you for is critique regarding fit as well as build - cut of the body & arms, collar and cuffs of the shirts as well as a honest suggestion if you would try to go back to any of the shown tailors to make some changes for future shirts or if you would look out for somebody else.
My biggest concerns are arm width & length, body width and thus ballooning as well as shape, hight etc. of the collar.
Please take into consideration that I am missing the right muscle major and thus am a bit thinner and shorter on the right hand side.

As a student in general I do wear shirts tucked into the pants paired with jeans and chinos, wool sweaters and a growing stock of leather shoes.
Please excuse the ill-fitting jeans as well as the look of the shirts, I tried my best but am not yet a skillful ironer.

I took 6 to 7 pictures of every shirt

1. Front view, cuff button(s) unbuttoned, collar button(s) unbuttoned, first placket button unbuttoned, shirt worn over pants
  2. Rear view, cuff button(s) unbuttoned, collar button(s) unbuttoned, first placket button unbuttoned, shirt worn over pants
  3. Front view, cuff button(s) buttoned, collar button(s) buttoned, all placket buttons buttoned, shirt worn over pants
  4. Rear view, cuff button(s) buttoned, collar button(s) buttoned, all placket buttons buttoned, shirt worn over pants
  5. Front view, cuff button(s) buttoned, collar button(s) unbuttoned, first placket button unbuttoned, shirt worn tucked into pants, "every day wear"
  6. Rear view, cuff button(s) buttoned, collar button(s) unbuttoned, first placket button unbuttoned, shirt worn tucked into pants, "every day wear"
  7. Front look, cuff button(s) buttoned, collar button(s) unbuttoned, first placket button unbuttoned, shirt worn tucked into pants, arms lifted

The oldest one, 4 or 5 years old, is of OC fabric and made by a tailor which has several stores in Germany even my father went to back in the days. I believe they are made in Germany.
In contrast to the other shirts shown, this one was adjusted to my wishes by the tailor twice after it arrived in first place.

The middle one is 2 years old by a small Italian store in Frankfurt am Main, the shirt is therefore made in Italy.
The build is kind of unique, hidden BD, combined cuff - can be worn both buttoned as well as with cuff links, very broad placket, no button on the collar and I have to admit not knowing exactly what I wanted back then, it is not exactly what I am looking for today.

The last one is only a few weeks old by a small German workshop which has it's shirts made in Austria.
It is a bit short to be tucked into the pants but thats my own failure as I told the friendly gentleman that took the measurements I was thinking about wearing it over the jeans and I therefore overruled him to make it a few cm shorter than he usually wanted to. Lesson learned.
Also the collar button is a bit too tight I can only button it with a lot of force and it does not feel very nice to wear it like that.

Thanks a lot in advance :bigstar:
!

:crackup:

Dude, I'd think you're better off buying some of the rack clothes and having a tailor fix them. I don't think any of these shirts fit you.

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the third one fits the best.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
The shirts fit poorly to be honest.

In general:

- Shorten the sleeves and DON'T wear french cuffs
- Raise the arm hole (all that bunching just makes you look like a coat hanger)
- Never leave more than one button un done
- Don't tuck in your shirt so tight at the front
- Wear slim pants. You are very skinny with narrow shoulders. wearing loose stuff will make you look like clothes hanger.

Sorry for the hard feedback. I'm have no knowledge in cutting and such, just my opinions on what you could do to improve your appearance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads