• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit check (suit)

eMaus

Reaction score
Hello,

About a year or so ago, I got an unused Tom Ford O’Connor (size 50R EU, drop 8) at about 1/3 of the retail price. I took it to an alterations tailor, and I feel rather pleased with the result. He took in the jacket along the back seam, raised the arms from the shoulder, trimmed the pant legs in the thighs and calves, and cut around two cm off the pant legs. He also said that he was able to adjust the padding in the shoulder, as well as the position of them, but I’ve heard horror stories of tailors destroying suits this way. Naturally, I am a bit hesitant on the latter.

I usually wear a size 48, but I’ve understood that TFs are often very slim in the waist, so I went with the EU50 the guy had.

My questions here are if I would need to adjust the suit jacket further based on these photos, or if the fit is nice as is. I spent around $1,000 on the suit itself, and probably around ~$100-250 on alterations. I’m perfectly happy spending more, as I was prepared to buy one OTR at full retail price.

Please note that these photos are simply taken as outfit ideas for different events, and I do not at the moment have any shots from the back.

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing what you think.

Apologies for the ****** image quality.

AD705F7C-EE97-46E9-88B6-A6EE42824443.jpeg
B531F6FB-B231-4833-8D63-774B82F4F7CB.jpeg
C05EE6B6-43CC-455C-9D99-DE8FCF040B3A.jpeg
9DD5BB7B-CD06-43E7-B5F5-316558AF65D4.jpeg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Without really seeing the back, the only troubling aspect of the fit, at least to my eye, is the inverted “V” as the bottom quarters open too far. The jacket is cinched a bit too much for waist suppression. My guess is a pic from the back would reveal as much.

Otherwise, it’s a nice suit and the overall cut is flattering.

The sleeves appear a bit short too.

schraiber

Reaction score
Definitely too small in the waist, but shoulders look basically okay so I bet that getting it let out will work pretty well. Sleeves look a bit short but it may really be that your shirtsleeves are a bit long, actuay

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jacket looks a bit off, flaring out too aggressively from the top button. As everyone else has said it may just have been taken in too much.

I'm not sure if nipping the jacket in down the rear seam is the right approach as I'm not a tailor, it might throw the whole jacket off just to get rid of the slack in one spot. I think an adjustment just at the jacket waist might work better

Is the lower button on the jacket approximately in line with the waistband of the trousers it's a bit hard to tell with the tie in the way???

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't want to be able to see your tie/shirt/belt below your jacket button in a relaxed neutral position. As others said, this suggests that it's been taken in too aggressively at the waist. Otherwise, the suit seems to fit pretty well in other places.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Waist looks pretty good to me, no major stress creases. Maybe a cultural thing? (Tailored clothes here in Italy are cut pretty close to the body.) If you can get your flat hand between the button and your body (after lunch), it’s not too tight. But possibly a bit of letting out would allow the quarters to come together better.

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone posted an altered Tom Ford suit in another thread and I made the same observation. The thinking was that this is the Tom Ford style.

Perhaps so. I’m not so familiar with Tom Ford to agree or disagree. But, besides Tim Ford himself, Daniel Craig as James Bond is probably the best know celeb/character to wear Tom Ford.

49de302210b4118669593046f8eb5715.jpg

If you look at Daniel Craig’s suit the quarters do seem to go apart a bit, though the left hand in pocket and the motion may distort things. Even with all that, it’s not such an acute angle.

eMaus

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who replied! I’m definetly seeing it now that everyone has pointed things out, so will likely try to adjust.

I have attatched a few product photos of the same suit. Seems the angle is pretty sharp here as well, however I personally like the Bond image posted by Phileas better. In any case, it may seem like it is a style choice made by the designer.

Also worth noting is that the champagne tie in my first photos is an inch or so too long. Simply a quick tie to get a feel for the color combo.

FA9A2D11-41DC-4D36-A191-85FB6832C28B.jpeg

1128E810-4B45-47A2-A60D-2640637C92F4.jpeg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who replied! I’m definetly seeing it now that everyone has pointed things out, so will likely try to adjust.

I have attatched a few product photos of the same suit. Seems the angle is pretty sharp here as well, however I personally like the Bond image posted by Phileas better. In any case, it may seem like it is a style choice made by the designer.

Also worth noting is that the champagne tie in my first photos is an inch or so too long. Simply a quick tie to get a feel for the color combo.

View attachment 1670048
View attachment 1670051

I appears to be just that; the TF signature cut or style. To my eye, the break is just a bit too acute on yours.

eMaus

Reaction score
Again, thank you all very much for chiming in. Here are a few more images of the suit jacket, also from the back.

Note that the suit has gotten a bit of wear in the last few months, so the back is wrinkly as all hell. Going to dry clean it soonish. Also disregard the black jeans being tucked up to my nipples here. Trying to reproduce approximately where the suit pants start.
E9B0EFC8-7860-48BA-A2B7-25A40ACF65DC.jpeg

6964D7B5-CBC7-4CF8-BEAC-BD54A406A46D.jpeg

18EAD493-1BC2-4923-BC48-8E7D9F143AE7.jpeg

0815BB05-6AFA-42A5-AD30-6CBC22C8401A.jpeg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the pics from the back. It’s evident from the back and in far greater relief as it relates to the tightness of the jacket.

eMaus

Reaction score
Thank you for the pics from the back. It’s evident from the back and in far greater relief as it relates to the tightness of the jacket.
Thanks. Taking it out an inch or two right along the waist would probably solve most of the issues, no?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Taking it out an inch or two right along the waist would probably solve most of the issues, no?

I think a tailor would probably be a better judge of that as these are technical considerations. I just know the jacket is tight. I think taking the waist out is probably a good first step. Hopefully the only step. Good luck. It’s a nice looking suit otherwise.

Aloysius16

Reaction score
Yes, the back shows it is definitely too tight through the midsection. Are the photos from showing the back taken with the jacket buttoned or unbuttoned? If unbuttoned then more major surgery in this area is required. If buttoned, I suspect letting out half an inch on each seam would be about right.

suitedcboy

Reaction score
You are so close. That is a great looking suit on you. The waist suppression is too much or maybe too low. The waves on both sides above the belt tend to make me think the coat as taken in too low and is loose above the taken in area..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads