• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit check on shirt/trousers

milktoast

Reaction score
Hi all -- looking for some guidance on some recent purchases.
1) I bought a pair of trousers that I took to the tailor to get hemmed and wanted to know if folks think they're an appropriate length. I keep all my dress shoes at the office, so my apologies for not showing any pics with them.

2) I'd like some thoughts on what I should tell my tailor for dialing in my dress shirt. Originally I bought some OTR Spier & MacKay 14.5 slim fit shirts, but they were too tight after one cold wash. When I went to their store, they recommended going up on the neck size (15) and going with the extra slim fit. That halpethe shirts are no longer tight after a wash. However, my tailor has been a bit aggressive with the last couple of shirts and made them too tight. I know that I need to get the sleeves shortened, but not sure what else I should specify. My biggest problem has always been shirts fitting too tight around my chest.

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

1898.png
1899.png
1896.png

Reloc8

Reaction score
I generally find it hard/impossible to assess trouser length without seeing them worn with shoes because it's all about the break but that does look pretty good.

I find the shirt fit good around your torso, certainly not too tight. I was about to say that unfortunately the arms are definitely too long but when I scrolled back up to make some constructive comments about that I re-read your post correctly and saw that you are alive to that.

milktoast

Reaction score
I generally find it hard/impossible to assess trouser length without seeing them worn with shoes because it's all about the break but that does look pretty good.

I find the shirt fit good around your torso, certainly not too tight. I was about to say that unfortunately the arms are definitely too long but when I scrolled back up to make some constructive comments about that I re-read your post correctly and saw that you are alive to that.
Completely fair. Below is another pic with some random shoes I had laying around.

My chief concern with the shirt is that sure it's not tight, but it seems a little baggy, no?

Reaction score
My opinion is that the pants should be shortened a bit. The current "fall" of the pants seem out of place given how well the pants fit otherwise.

Shirt is definitely not baggy around the torso, but the sleeves need to be shortened.

Hope this helps! Would love to see post tailoring pics :).

Last edited by a moderator:

Reloc8

Reaction score
@milktoast, that pic with the shoes helps massively.

I think you are almost in the zone where it's down to your personal taste. They could be shortened slightly but you need to assess how you'll feel about them when you're sitting as well. Personally, I don't like anything 'pooling' down there, and I spend more of my working life standing up than I do sitting down so I veer towards a slightly higher hem. But if you take them to the point where there's no or little break you've gone too high as I'm sure you know.

I agree with @Vox & Leo Shoes that the fit on the shirt is good around the torso.

edit: I looked at the trousers again and I think I would be taking them up just a touch more.

Reaction score
Agreed - I'd take the trousers up less than an inch. You don't want too much sock, or even worse, skin showing. Good part is that the pants fit really well otherwise.

Best of luck!

Omer

Last edited by a moderator:

milktoast

Reaction score
Thank you for the words @Vox & Leo Shoes and @Reloc8 -- I took the pants in today and they should be ready tomorrow. Though I do spend most of my work hours sitting down, I do want to keep a refined look when moving around and outside of the office. I appreciate the time.

Will be taking in the shirt to get sleeves shortened a bit next week. Hoping I feel better about the fit after that.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would make a good test for a tailor, because the shop should've pointed out that the pants are tight in the hips and rear.

papa kot

Reaction score
Would concentrate on trouser fit. The shirt is okay, I'd keep.

There is a seriously unhealthy shirt fit obsession going around here. The truth is that a shirt will probably be under a jacket, a vest, or a sweater. Shirts in real world must have some room so that you can move. Forget the ads that you see in magazines and on TV: shirts that fit perfectly there are not real. There is a lot of last minute tailoring, fixing, and pinning of the fabric on the models that you don't see. In reality, there is a slim chance that a shirt will look fitted, allow room for movement, and not have wrinkles of any kind.

What you should aim for in a shirt is a a fit that corresponds to your body type and the rest of the outfit. For example, if your trousers do not have a proper rise and waist size that allows for the shirt to drop, the shirt will come up and look like crap. On the same line of thinking, if your suit jacket is on a tighter side, any shirt that is too big may exacerbate the problem. For those reasons alone I concentrate more on the fit of the outer shell, if you will.

Suits, trousers, shoes: the fit, the colors, and the overall composure matter a lot there. Shirts? Try to be in the reasonable ball park or be prepared to spend hundreds of dollars whenever you gain or lose a bit of weight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads