• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit Check: New SuitSupply Suit

BrandOfAction

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just got my SuitSupply suit back from the tailor and had a question about the fit.

When I originally tried on the suit, the pants felt shorter than what I'm used to. I'm not sure if this is because I'm not accustomed to slimmer-cut pants or if they're actually cut too short. The tailor assured me that the length was okay, but I wanted to get the forum's thoughts. You can see my socks when I am walking or have my knees bent.

I've attached a few photos to show different angles of the length of the pants, some with knees bent, some standing straight. Do these pants seem to be too short? Should I have them let out a bit and, if so, how much? The pink socks are simply to have a stark difference between colors.

Thanks in advance for the help!

emidyl

Reaction score
looks like a med or more like 1/4 break to me. Personally I think it looks fine, but depends on your usage per se. How tall are you?

was planning on getting my next suit there as well. Which one is that?

Last edited:

BrandOfAction

Reaction score

looks like a med or more like 1/4  break to me. Personally I think it looks fine, but depends on your usage per se. How tall are you?

was planning on getting my next suit there as well. Which one is that?

I'm between 5'7 and 5'8. This is the Lazio blue. I really like it! Bigger lapels than what I am used to but the button stance was much better than the Napoli on me.

Last edited:

BrandOfAction

Reaction score
A few more up-close photos to see if this helps. I attempted to get one that shows the amount of sock while walking, but they're more difficult to capture than you'd think.

Does anyone think I should have the pants lengthened a bit? If so, is this even something that a tailor can do or will the previous stitch holes be pretty obvious?

Thanks for the help!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where's the nearest bonfire?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When is Suit Supply's reputation going to deflate? Another jacket that is too short. Also, the fit in the upper back is lousy, likely due to rounded posture, and the pants are not hanging properly, perhaps due to clinging to the back of the legs and therefore riding up when walking - but ideally the suit could be returned due to the jacket length problem.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Fit isn't great, but the length of the jacket seems fine. I'm not a fan of short jackets, but I'd hardly call that a problem...just an (unfortunate) trend.

BrandOfAction

Reaction score
When is Suit Supply's reputation going to deflate? Another jacket that is too short. Also, the fit in the upper back is lousy, likely due to rounded posture, and the pants are not hanging properly, perhaps due to clinging to the back of the legs and therefore riding up when walking - but ideally the suit could be returned due to the jacket length problem.

Well, returning isn't really an option at this point considering that I've already gotten both the sleeves and pants tailored. I don't feel like the length of the jacket is particularly bad, actually...because of my torso length, jackets typically appear to be short on me.

In regards to my original question, do you feel that the pants were cut too short?

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your body's posture in the second and forth picture of the original thread looks very, very strange. Is this really how you stand in a comfortable upright position???

If NOT, commenting on the pictures is pointless because the suit should fall nicely (without unnecessary bunching) when you are standing in a relaxed upright position with the arms hanging down comfortably - and not when making strange moves.

BrandOfAction

Reaction score
Your body's posture in the second and forth picture of the original thread looks very, very strange. Is this really how you stand in a comfortable upright position???

If NOT, commenting on the pictures is pointless because the suit should fall nicely (without unnecessary bunching) when you are standing in a relaxed upright position with the arms hanging down comfortably - and not when making strange moves.

Hi there,

No, that is not how I typically stand. I was trying to bend my knee forward to show the length of the pants, which apparently caused the rest of my body to contort in very odd ways. I, admittedly, don't have the best posture (something I'm trying to fix), but those pictures aren't a typical upright stance for me.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, returning isn't really an option at this point considering that I've already gotten both the sleeves and pants tailored. I don't feel like the length of the jacket is particularly bad, actually...because of my torso length, jackets typically appear to be short on me.

In regards to my original question, do you feel that the pants were cut too short?

No. It's not a length issue. The pants are riding up. A similar thing happens to sleeve sometimes.

Re jacket length - normal doesn't mean acceptable. Next time buy a longer jacket (maybe go from a S to a R) and get the longer sleeves shortened.

BrandOfAction

Reaction score
No. It's not a length issue. The pants are riding up. A similar thing happens to sleeve sometimes.

Re jacket length - normal doesn't mean acceptable. Next time buy a longer jacket (maybe go from a S to a R) and get the longer sleeves shortened.

Thanks for the response -- I appreciate it. So it sounds like I shouldn't worry about the length of the pants and should maybe pay more attention to when they ride up.

This actually is a R jacket. It's a 34R from SuitSupply, so as you can imagine, I have limited options that will "work" in my size (apart from MTM, which isn't in my budget in most cases).

BD22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The problem isn't that the trousers are too short – well, it isn't just that in any case. Because the trousers are cut so tightly, they must necessarily be that short or look terribly cluttered around the ankles. But your first problem is that they're cut so tightly in the first place. Not only are they disproportionate to the jacket, they are all kinds of wrinkled – both in the front and back. You also wear your trousers very low, which is exposing your waistline. The jacket is pretty long as it is, which means you need to pull yo' pants up.

Here's what my recommendations amount to (it ain't perfect -- I'm no
foo.gif
). I also lengthened the trousers a touch, now that I've widened them, and raised your drop a touch.

Note that because of the angle at which you're taking this photo and the cut of the jacket, things still don't look quite right. But we can talk about that jacket later.

Last edited:

BrandOfAction

Reaction score
The problem isn't that the trousers are too short – well, it isn't just that in any case. Because the trousers are cut so tightly, they must necessarily be that short or look terribly cluttered around the ankles. But your first problem is that they're cut so tightly in the first place. Not only are they disproportionate to the jacket, they are all kinds of wrinkled – both in the front and back. You also wear your trousers very low, which is exposing your waistline. The jacket is pretty long as it is, which means you need to pull yo' pants up.

Here's what my recommendations amount to (it ain't perfect -- I'm no
foo.gif
). I also lengthened the trousers a touch, now that I've widened them, and raised your drop a touch.

Note that because of the angle at which you're taking this photo and the cut of the jacket, things still don't look quite right. But we can talk about that jacket later.

Incredibly helpful information. Thank you!

I definitely do wear my pants a bit on the low side and sometimes forget to adjust them when I am wearing a suit. I will make sure to pull them up a bit. So it sounds like I should take my pants to a tailor and have them widened as well as lengthened a touch? Would you think that about 1/4"-1/2" in length would be sufficient?

Thank you again for your help, your post was very valuable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads