• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit check (jacket)

Keep Grey Checkered, Navy Micro-Nailhead, both or none?

• Grey Checkered

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Navy Micro-Nailhead

• Both

• None

• Total voters

TimpD

Reaction score
Hello,
I picked up a couple SamuelSohn for a great deal (68% and 76% off) and was looking for some feedback as I am currently under lockdown and can't meet with my tailor. The cut is Madison so it's their slimmest, normally I go for a contemporary fit. I also have an extra 5-8 COVID pounds.
Do note that the following alterations are complimentary:
Jacket:
  • Shortening or lengthening of sleeves
  • Adding surgeon’s cuffs to select designer brands*
  • Taking in or letting out of the side or centre seams
Trousers:
  • Taking in or letting out the waist only
  • Plain, cuffed or jean hem

The first is a Grey Checkered:

And here is a Navy Micro-Nailhead:

Both fits are the same.

My thoughts were:
I was a little worried about the shoulder bite, should I be? Or does it look fine or should I return it?
The neck roll may also need to be adjusted, but the grey looks worse than the navy.
I am hoping letting out the center seam will give me a little more room on waist (free).
And I feel like the Navy has a better fit.

Thanks for your time, if there are any other angles that would help please let me know. I can post more tomorrow after work. Sorry for the lighting, I did the best with what I had available.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More noticeable than the shoulder bite is the area between the shoulder blades. Looks much too tight.

I also think the quarters are too open.

I would return them.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, too tight across the shoulder blades. Just letting out the back center seam may lead to sagging of the fabric between the blades. Also looks a little tight and short in the chest.

TimpD

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. As a follow up I have poor posture, I tend to stoop with my shoulders. I normally wear a brace for my posture but it was not in the photos, when my shoulders are slightly relaxed to a "normal" position the rolls between my shoulder blades disappear. Does that change anything?

Also can you check these other 3 fits on me. I am 5'8.5, 155lbs with a slightly longer torso than normal and a thick neck (16). Finding the right length for my body is challenging. I find with a 38S it tends to be on the shorter side, with a 38R it fits "properly" in terms of my bum and hands, but it shortens my legs (sorry the photos can't be further away). The Lazio and Havana lengths are 29.5 BOC and the Spier and Mackay is 28.1. I feel like ideally my length would fall between the two.

Lazio 38R:

Havana 38R:

Spier and Mackay 38S:

The shoulders on the Havana are the biggest question mark for me.

Sorry for all the questions, where I live is still all locked down and I'm rather new to this.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what to recommend regarding stooping and the back brace. I think I will leave that to someone with more tailoring experience.

In terms of the SS Havana - its really tight in the arms in general. I find that if you have any amount of muscle in your upper arm it can be difficult to be comfortable in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics