• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit and Cut (Slacks) of a few Labels

DShareef

Reaction score
I have dropped a bit of weight lately so I am in need of 3 or 4 pairs of slacks. Actually, it was time for an update anyway. My schedule and geography do not afford me the opportunity to try on many quality brands so I will reach out to the members of this forum for some guidance. Ebay seems to be my best bet. I have been monitoring a few brands- RLBL/RLPL, Zanella, Tallia Uomo and Canali. Really looking for bargains here.

Can you provide some insight as to the cut and fit of the aforementioned labels? Feel free to impart your knowledge by recommending other brands. Please keep them in the same ballpark with respect to price.

I'm a 36x32 right now heading toward, I hope, a 34" waist for the first time since childhood. Unfortunately, I still have what my wife refers to as "football player legs" so the slimmer cuts will not work for me.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Best,

D

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that Polo Blue Label and Purple Label may be too slim for you. The blue label pants I have are very slim, and I can't imagine purple label being much more generous.

Zanella makes a number of different cuts, but they generally run a little looser. That might be your best bet.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
chorse,

how are RLBL slim compared to euro cotton incotex?

And I agree about zanella.

Thanks.
!luc

DShareef

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Any thoughts on Canali or Tallia?

Thanks,

D

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
chorse,

how are RLBL slim compared to euro cotton incotex?

And I agree about zanella.

Thanks.
!luc

The pair I have (one pair, so a small sample size) is about the same as the 100% cotton incotex.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DShareef
Thanks for the responses. Any thoughts on Canali or Tallia?

Thanks,

D

I am a similair build, having large legs. That being said, I wear Zanella "Austin" model almost exclusively...the "Bennet" will have narrower legs and seat so give that a try as well.

The most narrow slacks I can wear are Canali interestingly enough. I have a pair on now. I have a great selection of Zanella, but if I had to do it all over again I would change to the Canali. The fabric and construction is not quit as good, but the cut is definately more updated and narrower.

By the way to give you an idea of my situation, I actually have to buy 36" waist and then have them taken in to about a 34.5 inch waist so my slacks can fit my thighs/seat. Years of deadlift/squats has ruined my chances of being able to wear a slim, flat front slack.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zanella works for me as I have big thighs (and butt). RLPL and blue label(made in italy) both are narrow,and I can't really wear either. Talia uomo works for me. I have a couple pairs. One is labeled as barry bricken but has the same interior tags as talia uomo.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have a similar shape and I love zanellas. I just brought a pair to Boguslaw for alterations and he took the legs IN. He told me that wearing things too loose when you have a thick shape actually looks worse than something a little slimmer. I must admit that they looked 100% better after he pinned them. Of course, you still don't want skin tight unless you're riding a horse....but my point is that zanella is VERY baggy.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Have a similar shape and I love zanellas. I just brought a pair to Boguslaw for alterations and he took the legs IN. He told me that wearing things too loose when you have a thick shape actually looks worse than something a little slimmer. I must admit that they looked 100% better after he pinned them. Of course, you still don't want skin tight unless you're riding a horse....but my point is that zanella is VERY baggy.

If you find Zanellas very baggy then I don't think you have a similar shape. I regularly buy pants 1 or 2 sizes too big in the waist then have them taken in to fit my legs.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow.....definitely not. If you're in that situation, you should probably just cut the middle man and buy made to measure or bespoke. The brands you're talking about are not cheap to begin with, so hopefully it won't be too big a jump in price. But try the Zanellas....I assumed your quads are bigger than mine, but very baggy for me could be just right for you
smile.gif

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
The pair I have (one pair, so a small sample size) is about the same as the 100% cotton incotex.

I'd say that flat-front casual RLPL and RLBL are both similar to cotton incotex in my experience. Tallia is much fuller, but not as much as some American made pants.

DShareef

Reaction score
This post is getting buried and I'd love to hear from a few more of the forum experts so I will have to bump it. I know it's a bit cheesy so I apologize in advance.

D

Moss

Reaction score
I find Incotex to run in fit generally between RLPL and Zanella. Some pleated Incotex are as loose fitting as Zanella. For construction, Incotex is superior IMHO.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
remember always fit comes first. pick the garment that fits well in the seat because the waist can be taken in or let out.
pleated trousers are cut fuller than plain fronts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads