• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit and Cut (Slacks) of a few Labels

millionaire75

Reaction score
I have the same problem, no matter how much weight I lose, my legs always remain big (probably a mix of genetics and a lifetime of playing soccer). I just picked up some hugo boss flat fronts which fit great. The pockets don't flare out like many other flat fronts. I usually wear a 36 waist but went up to a 38 on these to accomodate my legs.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DShareef
I have been monitoring a few brands- RLBL/RLPL, Zanella, Tallia Uomo and Canali. Really looking for bargains here. Can you provide some insight as to the cut and fit of the aforementioned labels? Feel free to impart your knowledge by recommending other brands. Please keep them in the same ballpark with respect to price.
I'm similarly-sized (a shade under a true 36" x 34") and here's my experience. RLBL: None RLPL: I've found great fits in both the cheaper (Cantarelli? Corneliani?) ones and the pricier (Saint Andrews) line. Zanella: Some of them are giant wool bags. Some of them are well-cut. It really depends, and I'd never buy Zanellas online without trying them on. But most of my pants come from there. Talia Uomo: Never heard of them, to be honest. Canali: Only one pair, a heathered forest green flannel, and I'm not willing to speculate on them because they were made for Harrod's and their stock lines might be different. Others that I've found to fit well: Zegna, Barbera, Valentini, some Oxxford No way: Borrelli, some Incotex Also, just as an aside, pants are frequently altered and may have, ahem, issues inside so I don't know that I'd buy any used pants without trying them on and inspecting them personally. Then again, I have no problem with used tailored clothing in general, but I'm squeamish when it comes buying to anything I've not have the opportunity to try on and assess fit or potential fit. So I'm not really a player on the eBay market.

Dapper Dandy

Reaction score
I've done way too many squats and deadlifts, so I have more trouble with pants than any other clothing item. I have a few pair of RLBL that I have sized up and had the waist taken in. The fit isn't perfect but it's doable and RLBL pants are available at discounts sometimes. Ralph Lauren Purple Label was a complete no-go for me. I'm talking, not even being able to get them up over my thighs.

As for what has worked for me, I have found the following pants work reasonably well by sizing up and having the waist taken in: RLBL, Hugo Boss, some Incotex and Zanella. I actually found a few pair of Armani Collezioni slacks that fit reasonably well OTR.

As for what works for me, as a result of my glutes I can't wear any pleats because they inevitably get pulled. BTW, as Fields (my tailor) pointed out, the material the pants are made out of can really help out. Pants with a small portion of spandex or lycra or the like will stretch a bit more and thus are better for me. YMMV.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brands you should consider:
1) Hickey-Freeman, eponymous label, made in Italy
2) Garrick Anderson
3) Brioni - Fuller fitting than most Italians

Steer Clear:
1) St. Andrews
2) Incotex (European market)
3) Borrelli
4) Belvest (the majority)
5) Mabitex (the majority)

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
Brands you should consider:
1) Hickey-Freeman, eponymous label, made in Italy
2) Garrick Anderson
3) Brioni - Fuller fitting than most Italians

Steer Clear:
1) St. Andrews
2) Incotex (European market)
3) Borrelli
4) Belvest (the majority)
5) Mabitex (the majority)

My wool mabitex are slimmer than my cotton incotex.

!luc

DShareef

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input. I will certainly heed your suggestions.

D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads