• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit advice - Saman Amel roll neck

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it sways you:

If you can count on anything, it's that most men grow bigger in size as they age. Food is tasty and metabolism quickly slows. Add 10 pounds and then suddenly size 48 is no longer on the cusp of being "a little trim" but just too tight.

Fashion is also veering away from slimmer fits. Lots of stuff is pushing towards more comfortable silhouettes -- Raf, Lemaire, renewed appreciation for '80s Armani, etc. Classic menswear will soon follow, as it did with the slim-fit trend in the late '90s/ early aughts.

Personally, I think the 50 looks both more classic and more fashionable, as we're in this very weird intersection where classic and fashionable silhouettes are starting to overlap more. With some outfits, I like even fuller-looking sweaters, as I think it lends a cool vibe.
It all makes sense but I have to say you're not making it easy for me. :D

I was leaning towards the 48 as I somehow felt less self-conscious in it - it is similar in size to other knits I own and in my mind didn't highlight my very average height (1.79m / 5'10) as it was shorter than the 50 and didn't bunch up on the waist as much. My point of worry was the mid-section where I have some bulk - but I thought it still did a good job, with the knowledge that it is likely to expand a bit in size with regular wear.

However, I have to admit that what you're saying also makes a lot of sense which is why I am in a bit of a muddle at the moment. I am usually very averse towards fashion trends and most of the time I like clothes to fit just right. In this case however, I think both sizes can work - the smaller for a more "put together" look (as long as I stay the same weight of course) and the larger for a more relaxed, weekend vibe. I guess I need to figure out which one is more 'me' and go from there.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It all makes sense but I have to say you're not making it easy for me. :D

I was leaning towards the 48 as I somehow felt less self-conscious in it - it is similar in size to other knits I own and in my mind didn't highlight my very average height (1.79m / 5'10) as it was shorter than the 50 and didn't bunch up on the waist as much. My point of worry was the mid-section where I have some bulk - but I thought it still did a good job, with the knowledge that it is likely to expand a bit in size with regular wear.

However, I have to admit that what you're saying also makes a lot of sense which is why I am in a bit of a muddle at the moment. I am usually very averse towards fashion trends and most of the time I like clothes to fit just right. In this case however, I think both sizes can work - the smaller for a more "put together" look (as long as I stay the same weight of course) and the larger for a more relaxed, weekend vibe. I guess I need to figure out which one is more 'me' and go from there.

By bunching, do you mean this?

IMG_4508.jpeg

If so, that's very normal for a sweater.

The nice thing about a sweater like that is that it can help hide a bit of your belly when you sit down, assuming you don't have a washboard stomach. When you sit down, your belly can poke out a bit. On a slim sweater, this will show. On a sweater where you have a bit of a "pouch" created by the larger waist and "pulled up" hem, you can hide that weight.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By bunching, do you mean this?

If so, that's very normal for a sweater.

The nice thing about a sweater like that is that it can help hide a bit of your belly when you sit down, assuming you don't have a washboard stomach. When you sit down, your belly can poke out a bit. On a slim sweater, this will show. On a sweater where you have a bit of a "pouch" created by the larger waist and "pulled up" hem, you can hide that weight.
Precisely, but more so how that looks from the back.

Viewed on it's own it looks absolutely fine but in comparison I thought the 48 provided the same benefit of having that small "pouch" which however looked a bit smaller and neater.

IMG_4607.JPEG

I'll double-check how it is when sitting down, that's a good point.

My thinking was that the additional length on the 50 (even when "pouched" up at the hem) elongated the torso at the expense of the legs. Might be wrong of course, I'm not at all experienced wearing pieces of this sort.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The differences between the two sizes are pretty minor IMO, and I think they boil down to personal preferences. Both look good on you. To me the 50 looks a little too long in the body. Just a bit sloppy looking to me. This negative, to me, outweighs the positive of having a little more girth around the body. The sleeves also seem to fit better in the upper arm on the 48 vs the 50.

Not sure I buy the argument to "buy the larger size so you have room to grow into since most men gain weight". I have always purchased clothes that fit me now, not clothes that fit less well now but might fit me better in the future (or not). If anything it has provided me with slight added incentive to stay at my current weight/build (which I have, thankfully, though probably with a big help from genetics).

Last edited:

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, @breakaway01 and @Stylewords - appreciate your input.

I also agree it's a good idea to buy clothes for your current size rather than by thinking how much weight you'd gain over the years. That said, I think the neatness of either size is hard to judge by photos. Here's a couple that I think show the 50 looking a bit better in terms of the chest and sleeves (less tight) - the added width gives it a bit more drape.

comp.jpg

Keeping the ribbing higher on the 50 allows for the drape but also negates the length I think - do you think it looks okay or still too much 'pouch' at the hem?

Personally, I agree both look okay and it's a matter of preference given how marginal the difference is. The problem is I can't seem to make up my mind either way.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yea, I don't get the argument about length, as knitwear can be adjusted up or down if it has a ribbed hem.

Pouches are cool. Comfy, cozy, and hides a bit of excess belly fat.

Size 50 to me has this energy

tumblr_p3533l8J9k1rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_ol466o60xw1rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_o8o9asmzPX1rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_na3pq6e6pV1rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_nxrafdAm021rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_naj8g8NZoP1rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_mn6g0kdxHh1rf1jvro1_1280.png

Size 48 has this energy

goods_36_429076.jpeg
74fb880f12544d3d36bacaf1e70854a2.jpeg
s_5c365f05a5d7c6f76662c3fe.jpeg
detail-of-label-with-logo-on-clothes-by-japanese-retailer-uniqlo-PXXTTT.jpeg
aaa247b9-f5cc-494f-87bd-66daeed52548.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

Stylewords

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, @breakaway01 and @Stylewords - appreciate your input.

I also agree it's a good idea to buy clothes for your current size rather than by thinking how much weight you'd gain over the years. That said, I think the neatness of either size is hard to judge by photos. Here's a couple that I think show the 50 looking a bit better in terms of the chest and sleeves (less tight) - the added width gives it a bit more drape.

View attachment 1590262

Keeping the ribbing higher on the 50 allows for the drape but also negates the length I think - do you think it looks okay or still too much 'pouch' at the hem?

Personally, I agree both look okay and it's a matter of preference given how marginal the difference is. The problem is I can't seem to make up my mind either way.
Either of them would be fine. A little bit of pouch is ok, but I still think the length of the 48 is better.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as I enjoy your posts in general @dieworkwear , sometimes you come across as wanting to ‘win’ every discussion. At some point in these discussions you pull out a dozen or more cherry-picked photos. I don’t really care about a Uniqlo ad; I am commenting on the OP’s photos. Just my opinion. We’re not deciding a Supreme Court case here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As much as I enjoy your posts in general @dieworkwear , sometimes you come across as wanting to ‘win’ every discussion. At some point in these discussions you pull out a dozen or more cherry-picked photos. I don’t really care about a Uniqlo ad; I am commenting on the OP’s photos. Just my opinion. We’re not deciding a Supreme Court case here.

??

Who's trying to win a discussion? I'm giving some viewpoints. If the OP wants a more classic fitting sweater to go with a more traditional kind of look, I think the 50 is better. If he wants a more modern fit with a more contemporary styling, then I think the 48 is better.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
??

Who's trying to win a discussion? I'm giving some viewpoints. If the OP wants a more classic fitting sweater to go with a more traditional kind of look, I think the 50 is better. If he wants a more modern fit with a more contemporary styling, then I think the 48 is better.
I was careful to try not to say anything about your intent since I can’t know that. I just think that sometimes you might come across as pushy when you have a particular opinion (Oxford shoes and suits is another example). I acknowledge that this might all just be in my own head. But I deal with opinionated and argumentative people all day (as an academic) so I see the whole range of how people express their opinions.

Stylewords

Reaction score
I'd just like to warn the OP that keeping the 50 will not turn him into an extremely handsome Hollywood star and keeping the 48 will not turn him into an unheard of fashion instagramer.

Last edited:

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I kept the 50.

The drape grew on me but what really swayed me was the fuller shape of the chest and the arms which looked more proportional to the rest of my body. If that comes at the expense of 1-2cm of extra length, so be it.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming you plan to wear it standalone, the larger size looks better—and keep in mind that even careful hand washing can cause wool to block up a little bit.

On the other hand, I have rollnecks that I wear under a sport coat in winter; in that case I like them to fit much closer. But I’m guessing that’s not what you’re doing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads