• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fishy smell

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a leather belt, and when I took it out of the suitcase upon arrival last night, I noticed it had a strong "fishy smell" which I hadn't noticed before. Any explanation to this, and more importantly, will it dissipate? Should I do anything? It was a cheap belt, but it fits (a miracle) and I like it.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
I too have noticed this in the past -- I chalked it up to the belt being made from a cheap leather. The smell never went away, and I never wore it. I ended up donating it.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I associate that smell with cheaply tanned leather. I walked by a store selling cheap leather jackets from China and that smell wafted out and hit me on the sidewalk.

trogdor

Reaction score
If there is any, could it be the glue? I seem to remember that some cheaper glues are made with organic matter similar in composition to fish oils.

I could just be making this up...

stach

Reaction score
I was given an Avirex jacket many years ago that had a horrible fish odor. I didn't wear it much and the smell went away after about six months. Try coating your belt with mink oil and see if that smothers and seals in the smell.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
"Fish oil tanned" is a production method for hardwearing, waterproof utility leathers.
I have a pair of Redwing working boots in this leather (although I cannot detect a fish smell).

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's the answer from a friend of mine
frown.gif
:

Fabienne, my guess is that the smell comes from the quality of the tanning process. The tannery uses chemicals, including salt, to remove hair, etc. and then extracts of tree bark (tannin) are used to strengthen and color the leather. If this process isn't done well, the leather still maintains some of its flesh-like characteristics and can slowly rot, just like flesh (yuk!) It may also be that the chemicals were not well removed at the end of the process. I suppose that you could try baking it in a low temperature oven (say 200F) a few hours to kill any microbes, (or drive off any remaining volatile chemicals) and then give it a good coat of mink or neatsfoot oil.

tsmith

Reaction score
I have a leather wallet from polo that smells a bit like salmon. However, it's not offensive enough to stop using it.

Aus_MD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fabienne
Here's the answer from a friend of mine
frown.gif
:

Fabienne, my guess is that the smell comes from the quality of the tanning process. The tannery uses chemicals, including salt, to remove hair, etc. and then extracts of tree bark (tannin) are used to strengthen and color the leather. If this process isn't done well, the leather still maintains some of its flesh-like characteristics and can slowly rot, just like flesh (yuk!) It may also be that the chemicals were not well removed at the end of the process. I suppose that you could try baking it in a low temperature oven (say 200F) a few hours to kill any microbes, (or drive off any remaining volatile chemicals) and then give it a good coat of mink or neatsfoot oil.

I think that your friend's explanation is most unlikely, and a fishy smell is not characteristic of rotting leather/flesh. Rawhide is untanned leather, and it does not produce these smells.

Oil tanning was the traditional technique to produce chamois and other soft leathers, but I suspect that the odour has been produced by one of the oils used in finishing the leather after it was dyed. I think that putting the belt in an oven would be rather drastic. I would wash it with a good quality leather soap, and use a beeswax leather finish to disguise the smell. Many people find the smell of neatsfoot oil unpleasant.

It may be worthwhile speaking to a saddlery for advice.

Aus

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I baked the belt for 20 minutes last night (don't worry, we feasted on veal scallopini, milanese style). Oh, the wonderful aroma... I didn't have time to retrieve it from the oven this morning. If this didn't do the trick, I'll try Aus_MD's advice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads