• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fishtail trousers

Houta

Reaction score
Yo! Hope you all are having a lovely week!

Quick question please, I want buy couple of trousers for work and I won’t be wearing a jacket on them. Just the coat to work which I will obviously take off in the office and stay with just the shirt and trousers.

My question is, can you wear fishtail trousers without a jacket? Won’t they look weird or strange?

I like those ones from SuSu! They come in many different colours. Thoughts ?

F518625D-BFD4-49B1-A9D0-FAD2E1D4E1CE.png

88B9C5DC-F4CE-4F4C-A81F-7F38EF44C636.png

4C51792B-6835-423A-A697-61E3D1403F95.png

4BFA97C6-6F79-4CD9-9FF0-AF1E67EB183E.png

paxonus

Reaction score
Fishtail trousers are meant to be worn with suspenders. Having the side adjusters is pointless and is akin to wearing both suspenders and a belt. Worn without suspenders a fishtail will indeed look odd. So if you are comfortable wearing suspenders without a jacket, then you would be fine wearing those trousers.

Houta

Reaction score
Fishtail trousers are meant to be worn with suspenders. Having the side adjusters is pointless and is akin to wearing both suspenders and a belt. Worn without suspenders a fishtail will indeed look odd. So if you are comfortable wearing suspenders without a jacket, then you would be fine wearing those trousers.
Thanks for your reply mate.
Well, I never wore suspenders before to be honest but I am willing to try. My question is basically whether it’s right/acceptable wearing suspenders without a jacket or it breaks the code/rules? I am novice in classic menswear hence my question.

PS: I am not young, am 38!

Cheers.

paxonus

Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't wear those as they have side adjusters. The fishtail doesn't look that big, but it really isn't designed to be shown. I wear suspenders frequently, but I also wear a jacket, and only take it off for comfort. Another issue is the rise. Anything below about 11 inches will not look right with suspenders.

Houta

Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't wear those as they have side adjusters. The fishtail doesn't look that big, but it really isn't designed to be shown. I wear suspenders frequently, but I also wear a jacket, and only take it off for comfort. Another issue is the rise. Anything below about 11 inches will not look right with suspenders.
Makes perfect sense - I actually thought the same but was looking for a confirmation :)

Cheers for the advise paxonus, much appreciated!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fishtail trousers are a "look" and need to be worn with suspenders under a jacket. Unless you really, really want them, stick with a standard waistband.

Houta

Reaction score
Fishtail trousers are a "look" and need to be worn with suspenders under a jacket. Unless you really, really want them, stick with a standard waistband.

I am new in the field but I had a feeling they should be worn with suspenders under a jacket, hence my question! The office is too warm to keep the jacket on so I will steer away from fishtails, at least for now. I've just started building a wardrobe and its too early to buy/go for such a look now.

Thanks for your input Gus - Cheers!

Edward Hyde

Reaction score
reading American replies can be so funny, over here "suspenders" are the items that hold a girls stockings up. The elastic over the shoulder items for keeping your trousers up are braces. With that thought in mind reread this thread and you might say suspenders go with a fishtail but not this kind of fishtail :D

Anachronist

Reaction score
ROTFL :crackup:

I fully agree with paxonus although I would add, unless you go for a tailored suit, you're going to struggle finding correctly made fishtail trousers (i.e. with correct rise and without side adjusters) and therefore if you really want to try out the style, I'd give those slacks a try if they don't cost the world.

Buy yourself a decent pair of braces (the real ones for buttons, e.g. from Albert Thurston... can often be found on Fleabay. Not the clip-on stuff!) and just enjoy wearing something different for a try... 999 out of 1000 people won't know about the details like side adjusters. Just need to have the guts to wear the braces visibly in the office and you definitely need these with a fishtail trouser. In the old days braces were never meant to be seen, effectively being part of your underwear and often worn under a buttoned vest, so you could take off your coat in the office without shame. For my part, I see things a little more relaxed these days and, unless you're a stickler for traditions, wouldn't worry too much pulling this off if your in the mood ;)

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not that anyone asked me, but I wear fishtail pants with or without suspenders, and with or without a jacket. I don't think it looks strange at all; in fact, it's pretty cool-looking, and you'll get compliments for the nice flourish. I also see no problem with wearing suspenders with pants that have side-buckles; I do it all the time and one compliments the other. (And it's hardly like wearing suspenders with your belt, as your belt is a much tighter fit, rendering the suspenders superfluous. Contra side buckles/tabs, where they can add a little more snugness and better fit, but where the suspenders are doing the main work of holding up your pants.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads