• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Fishmouth lapels on a three-quarter coat?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got some heavy donegal overcoating, brown on sand large-scale herringbone. I want to make a three-quarter coat (please don't tell me to get a polo or raglan instead: I've got those and other coats already). Now, why aren't fishmouth lapels often seen on outerwear? Of course they aren't often seen anywhere, but still; is there a specific reason why one should avoid them for outerwear?

This is a fishmouth lapel, just in case:

And this is the sort of coat I had in mind, though I'd make it shorter (mid-thigh or just below):

So the idea would be to do the country cloth in city cut thing, but in a slightly more modern way because of the shorter cut. Any thoughts? Cheers.

Millerp

Reaction score
The beauty of bespoke is that you can specify anything you want.
There's absolutely no reason not to get the coat you describe.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
fish mouth does not work on overcoats. it will not work if you want to flip up your collar and cross the fronts to protect your self from inclement weather

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

fish mouth does not work on overcoats. it will not work if you want to flip up your collar and cross the fronts to protect your self from inclement weather

Wouldn't that be true of peak lapels as well? But they certainly worked for Eden, above.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This 1970 Huntsman number could also be an option (fishmouth lapels of a sort, but DB):

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the peak has a deeper cut and can separate as long as it is not tacked together

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And why can't that be done with fishmouth? (genuine question!)

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Granted, it's a DB, but I quite like this...

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 59 17.2%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 115 33.4%
  • 8”

Votes: 104 30.2%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.5%
  • 9”

Votes: 14 4.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.0%