Fishing from a pier

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Alter, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Alter

Alter Senior member

Anyone here do pier fishing? I happen to live near a great fishing spot but haven't really been that interested to take up the hobby...but I went with a friend on the weekend and found it to be quite fun...and a nice activity to do with my son.

So...I am thinking to invest in some gear and would appreciate any advice before I start buying. I am located in Japan so Japanese brands would be best.

Main questions are:

Good rod weight and length?
    Type of reel: spinning, baitcaster, etc?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012

2. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I like fishing on the pier but what you use will depend on the type of fish in that area. There should be a tackle shop nearby the pier. Go there and ask around.

3. Alter

Alter Senior member

Yep, that's the plan. I was looking for some insights before visiting the shop though. Good to be informed.

Fish will include small herring, seabream, seabass, blowfish, etc.

4. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

It's been a while, but I used to fish off a pier all the time when I was a kid. I have absolutely no idea what's swimming around over there in the waters off of the Japanese coast. But from my experience, what kind of tackle you need depends on a lot on the depths you're going to fish (how far out on the pier). I used to fish right at the breakers for perch, and you don't need anything heavy for this (just a medium spinning combo works fine). But you can also try for bigger stuff if you throw out some bigger/live bait and wait around.

I was fooling around once with some really crappy gear and ended up catching the shark that was only about eighteen inches long but was strong as shit. It broke my reel.

5. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

fugu?

[​IMG]

:butbut:

6. Alter

Alter Senior member

[​IMG]