1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Fish for people who don't eat fish

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Renault78law, Jun 2, 2010.

1. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    Yeah I think I got the jist of it though. On certain fish, I will bleed them right after catching them by lifting up on the gill plate and making a quick and deep slice. Toss them in the bait tank/live well and they'll bleed out rather quickly. Haven't heard of your method before.
    this should be required behavior.

2. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

Also often overlooked are the cheeks. Best part of the fish, especially for Yellowtail and Halibut.
    yellowtail collars are good, too (oddly, never had halibut). but halibut cheeks ... from alaskan fish ... one cheek is enough for a meal. and it's got a texture like the "oyster" on a chicken ... really moist and tender yet firm.

3. BDC2823

BDC2823 Senior member

this should be required behavior.

Yup. If you fish off a cattle boat it's alot more difficult because they just have those potato sacks. Often times they'll have a bait tank at the bow (most people stay towards the stern even in open water) so I'll use that for the bleeding.

yellowtail collars are good, too (oddly, never had halibut). but halibut cheeks ... from alaskan fish ... one cheek is enough for a meal. and it's got a texture like the "oyster" on a chicken ... really moist and tender yet firm.

Forgot about the collars. Now you're making me hungry. [​IMG]

4. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

Any chance we can stop discussing destruction of live spine cords, severance of arteries and bleeding things to death - and return to talking about how delicious fish is ?

So the other Saturday, after crushing the spinal cord and severing the arteries of an ODing hooker at my place, I sat down and enjoyed some excellent fish.

5. Valproate

Valproate Senior member

I vote for halibut. I personally dislike it because it is close to flavorless, and needs to be marinated for it to taste like something.

Mahi mahi is more palatable to me. I like salmon, but dislike tilapia. Go figure.

6. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I had fresh grouper last night, its head was slightly dusted with flour and fried to a crisp... the cheeks were as sweet as a virgin's bosom, and the crispy edible parts were as good too.

7. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

[​IMG]

More seriously, I would suggest perhaps tilapia, even though I don't personally like it.

8. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

I've got no problem with most fish, but I can't stand tilapia for some reason. I'm not a big catfish guy, either, and the two are somewhat similar in flavor and texture IMO.

Something about the firmness of some freshwater fishes' textures just skeeves me out.

9. OldSchoolCharm

OldSchoolCharm Senior member

crab legs is what started my love of seafood. then salmon. now i love all seafood.

10. OldSchoolCharm

OldSchoolCharm Senior member

and don't forget the butter!

11. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

I've got no problem with most fish, but I can't stand tilapia for some reason. I'm not a big catfish guy, either, and the two are somewhat similar in flavor and texture IMO.
    something we don't think about too much, but much of the flavor of fish derives from what it feeds on. that's one reason the different runs of salmon have slightly different flavors (that plus fat content). that's really important with farmed fish in particular, where the fish are fed a constant feed, rather than ranging widely. tilapia, catfish and striped bass all show a real muddy character if they have been raised improperly.

well, that's just weird.

12. BDC2823

BDC2823 Senior member

something we don't think about too much, but much of the flavor of fish derives from what it feeds on. that's one reason the different runs of salmon have slightly different flavors (that plus fat content). that's really important with farmed fish in particular, where the fish are fed a constant feed, rather than ranging widely. tilapia, catfish and striped bass all show a real muddy character if they have been raised improperly.

This is very true. I absolutely love seafood, but the one thing I won't touch is Tilapia. Well, at least among commonly eaten fish.

13. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

This is very true. I absolutely love seafood, but the one thing I won't touch is Tilapia. Well, at least among commonly eaten fish.

Mirrors my reaction. Which is why, I guess, I suggested it. If the person doesn't like fish, and fish people don't like tilapia, perhaps that person will like tilapia? I mean, someone has to be eating all that farmed tilapia, right?

14. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

I can't stand crab meat. Much too sweet for me.

I like lobster though.

love oysters. The smaller, salty-sweet ones from the colder areas.

pretty much any other shellfish or fish. just not crab meat.