1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Fish for people who don't eat fish

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Renault78law, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Sunnydale

Sunnydale Senior member

I'm with you, I do not enjoy fish meals. Don't know why, just don't. If I can avoid eating fish, I will. Since fish oil is healthy for ones mental and physical well being, I take fish oil capsules along with some krill oil. So long as I keep the fish oil refrigerated, I don't get the common fish burp. I listened to this pod cast about fish oil and mental health yesterday. http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/...tter%2BProduct & fish oil good at preventing fatal heart attacks. http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...r-greater.html

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

3. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

4. CMJTperry

CMJTperry Senior member

Haddock is awesome its very white, flakey and mild.

5. Cavalier

Cavalier Senior member

However, I've never enjoyed making sushi at home, which is a shame because I have access to plenty of high quality sushi/sashimi at local Japanese markets.

Sashimi [​IMG]

6. baileypayne

baileypayne Member

Tilapia is the light beer of the fish world. It really doesn't taste like anything. Try that out first.

Well said! Tilapia is one of the least fishy fish. Try it with parm, lemon, tomatoes and simple seasonings. Yum!

7. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Awfully hard to beat a cold-water walleye.

8. Mr. White

Mr. White Senior member

Can't understand why people are recommending fishes like salmon and tuna, which are relatively fatty and oily, and have fairly strong flavors.

I'd be eating really bland white, flaky fish... like flounder or cod.

+1

9. Oyaji

Oyaji Senior member

As you are used to sushi/sashimi, I believe you have access to Unagi/Anago, give them a try.

10. kaxixi

kaxixi Senior member

Second (and thirding) recommendations for cod, tilapia, and halibut.

11. PoloPlayr

PoloPlayr Well-Known Member

Grow up and acquire an adult's taste in food? [​IMG]

12. Usul

Usul Senior member

I had been under the impression that cod was less a fish than an acronym for Catch Of the Day, but have had no luck convincing the supermarket fish counter of this. However, to answer the question I recommend the Freshwater Drum; the fish is difficult to find but has a flavor like diluted salmon and a texture closer to that of other white fish.

13. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

My vote is for Pangasius. Very unfishy fish and easy to prepare.

14. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

15. otc

otc Senior member

I know the post is not entirely serious...but whale is a mammal...and as such a lot closer to beef than fish

I could see it being a way to draw yourself into fish though...it isn't really "fishy" but smoked whale reminded me an awful lot of smoked salmon with a beef texture

16. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I'm caught in the same situation. I enjoyed eating fish as a kid growing up on the seashore in Australia, but once I moved to the Midwest of the US and had to eat fried fish burgers for school lunch, I stopped enjoying it. The trouble is that I can't remember what good fish tasted like since it's been awhile (and I probably like the chips more)... The smell of cooked seafood now though, could make me puke. If I inadvertently eat some, I really do.

I'll eat sushi. I don't want no ikura, no uni, nothing alien looking, but I'll maguro, chutoro and otoro until i'm full.

I just can't eat any cooked or fermented fish, and that is a problem where I live. Everything has fermented shrimp or squid in it, or is a seafood broth made from pretty strong smelling seafood.

I probably have access to decently fresh seafood and am willing to give it a try, even if I throw up the first 20 times. I would like to know what it is that could make me come to love seafood, though....

17. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Did I mention adding milk to the pan as a very effective solution? Yes? I thought so

18. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    Grow up and acquire an adult's taste in food? [​IMG]

+1

19. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

+1

[​IMG]

20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Awfully hard to beat a cold-water walleye.

+1 A "shore lunch" on some remote island in the middle of a Canadian Shield lake is nirvana. Anyone that has not experienced this is missing out on one of life's simple yet transcendant pleasures.