• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Whirlpool Fabric freshener experience and fused jacket

bpanicola

Reaction score
I am new here am am learning a lot from the fine forum members on this forum and others. Unfortunately it will take time to get rid of clothes from my old buying habits. One thing I learned so far is to minmize dry cleaning. So I bought the whirlpool fabric freshener and a smaller travel steamer.

I just tried my whirlpool fabric freshener / steamer for the first time. As I did not want to sacrifice any clothes in case something went wrong. (Bought off of e-bay after laying around somebody's garage for months)

I chose an old pair of wool pants with wrinkles and a 100% wool Jones New York sports jacket which I don't care for much. WHen it was done the pants looked great. Barely a wrinkle. I pulled out the jacket and saw bubbling near the button holes. The two pieces of fabric were now apart. I laid it down and was able to pull the fusing apart. This jacket is about 2 years old and possibly dry cleaned 4 times. I added enough water for a normal cycle which is recommneded for wool. I did not spray the clothes with distilled water. That is recommended but not mandatory.

I have other fused jackets and suits. Unfortunately I can't swap out my wardroble over night. I will try the next one on a more delicate setting.

I have read posts on AAAC that mentioned problems with fused jackets and steamers. One AAAC member said thay put all levels of fused garments in their whirlpool with no problem. Any thoughts on what happened with this jacket? WHat it bad luck? Just a terrible jacket?

Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does 'freshening' do?

Change the smell?

bpanicola

Reaction score
Here is the manufacturer's link;

http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/pro...?productId=513

Here is their line on freshening and odor removal: Cooking odors, tobacco smoke or just being left in a drawer too long can cause clothes to lose their freshness. Using only steam to break down and remove these everyday odors, the WhirlpoolÂ
00ae.png
Fabric Freshener is a time-saving, economical clothes care option in between trips to the dry cleaners and/or rewashing.

Here is the line on wrinkle removal:Even a nicely pressed outfit can become wrinkled in a packed closet, suitcase or after a one-time wear. The Fabric Freshener offers hands-free, immersive steam to bring clothes back to their ready-to-wear state in just over half an hour.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bpanicola
The Fabric Freshener offers hands-free, immersive steam to bring clothes back to their ready-to-wear state in just over half an hour.

Steam also offers steam, and at less cost.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's nice that you can just put stuff in it, start it and leave, though. I'd use it for sweaters and jackets all the time. Easy solution to the fusing problem - don't buy fused stuff.
tongue.gif

I've never seen steam do any damage to fused jackets though, so I'm not sure what this thing is doing if anything.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one, have used it for everything from suits to sweaters with no problems.
Originally Posted by mack11211
What does 'freshening' do? Change the smell?
Pretty much. Removes most odours.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
I have one, have used it for everything from suits to sweaters with no problems.

Can you put just regular tap water in it? Or do you have to buy bottles of distilled water?

bpanicola

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Can you put just regular tap water in it? Or do you have to buy bottles of distilled water?

Whirlpool advises against anything but distilled water.

bpanicola

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
It's nice that you can just put stuff in it, start it and leave, though. I'd use it for sweaters and jackets all the time. Easy solution to the fusing problem - don't buy fused stuff.
tongue.gif

I expected to hear that....a hundred times
smile.gif

With the help of this forum I am learning how to upgrade my wardorbe without breaking the bank.
worship.gif

I've never seen steam do any damage to fused jackets though, so I'm not sure what this thing is doing if anything

Originally Posted by skalogre

The concensus has been that steam should not have harmed the jacket like that. I might have set myself up for disappointment putting that cheap excuse for a sports jacket in there.

Originally Posted by mack11211
Steam also offers steam, and at less cost.

Good Point.... but, with a young family and long hours at work, time is precious. I love the idea that I can put things in and walk away.

As I posted late last night all additional comments and thought from members are appreciated. Even if it is to lecture me about fused jackets......It can only help me...
bounce2.gif

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fusing can be done well, or it can be done poorly. Sounds like your coat falls into the latter camp. Live and learn.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Distilled would be preferred. I mean for most appliances that would be the case anyway; the mineral deposits from normal tap water can lead to serious problems for any piece fo equipment frankly. Oh and I got mine for under US$100.00 refurbished from some outlet vendor on eBay. Have had it for a few years, its fire and forget approach is marvellous.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use mine for all kinds of stuff, also without issue. Definitely use distilled water though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads