• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

first watch?

LussoMagazine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
My hobbies? I do a lot of running. Should I go for something like this, then? http://www.timex.ca/en/jcatalogca/De...m=753048024209
I also own one of these, which I think very elegant:
http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/produc...ltisport/RS100

Hmmm, OK - I wouldn't suggest something quite so targeted to runners, something that pays homage to that fact you like to run, maybe something with a nice chrono. If you have that timex, then I think you should definitely get a steel watch, steel bracelet. Perhaps something thin, with a hint of technicality to it. I think you need something that you can wear in a formal situation.

Largely dependant on budget I guess, I think this would suit the situation: quaidelile.com/ - it's got a slightly sporty look, partially skeletal, great movement. Not too 'old man's watch' but a smart choice of brand. I have a nice Breitling Cosmonaut that I use in certain sporty but smart situations, it's a nice thin Breitling (one of the few that has a big face but not too much depth so a shirt will still fit over it!).

Perhaps an idea of budget might help?

falsestart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
I'm considering buying this watch. Thoughts? I have small wrists, so I want something small, and I like the minimalist look. Unfortunately, I live in Canada so I don't get to see the watch before ordering.
http://www.momastore.org/museum/moma...1_11474_null__

I was recently at the Moma store and saw this watch and was a bit dissapointed with it. It looks a bit feminine (sp) and the interchangeable strap does not attach to the watch rather it slides under it so if you like to wear your watch band a little loose the watch might slide around a bit on the band. The face is great but overall the watch was not as nice as I hoped.

habitue

Reaction score
Cannot believe, that Seiko is discussed here. Cheap ETA movements put together in Japan. So either buy a really really cheap watch - whatever brand. Or you get a decent watch from the usual suspects.

Another alternative would be Poljot. Great ETA-based movement, great value for money.

redmodel

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to get a first watch as well. I absolutely love the style of the Tag Heuer Monaco watch. I just don't have that much money to spend for a first watch. I tried looking for alternatives that had the same style, and they were pricey as well.

The closest and cheapest I've found was a Welder 4701. They're priced at about $1000 new, and i can't seem to find any used.

Can anyone recommend a vintage watch of that style for fairly low price?

thanks, and any help would be appreciated.

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
Concerning Seiko: their automatic movements are produced in-house, even the lubricants. Not even Rolex does that. So depending on how much he wants to spend on a first watch, he should have a look at Seiko. The Spring Drives are pretty cool.

EDIT: redmodel, have a look at the Junkers 6702-5 Horizon Automatic-Chronograph! It's around the 500$ area.

alflauren

Reaction score
Just wanted to throw these two into the mix. I have both in my collection, and consider them to be the best "starter" watches out there for any number of scenarios, quality/price ratio being one of them.

1) Seiko "Pepsi" diver - automatic, cool bezel, indestructible, and the "jubilee" bracelet pictured is one of the most comfortable metal bracelets that I have ever worn. (The only one that I can think of as better is the bracelet on the Omega Seamaster Bond, and that watch is 10x the price of the Seiko.)

SKX009J1.jpg

2) Hamilton Khaki Navy - automatic, sleek design and substantial feel, sapphire crystal, and has a Swiss ETA whereas the Seiko is produced in-house. (No real difference in accuracy, but the Hamilton does have more beats in its movement, so it produces a smoother second hand sweep.) Also, it has a clear caseback, so you can see the movement.

h77515153_MED.jpg

Freek1234

Reaction score
im not much of an expert on movements but I love my hamilton watch
pink gold plated jazzmaster auto chrono . pic: Hamilton horloge jazzmaster

For me it was rather expensive as i dont have a 10.000 euro/15.000 dollar budget but it was well worth the money
smile.gif

fight[1].gif

enarchay

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a new watch myself. I've searched through a ton of posts on the forums and seems like there are two options that are viable for me. First, buy a cheap automatic watch like the Seiko 5. Or, second, buy a slightly more expensive watch with better features. I'm having trouble deciding which option makes more sense, since, on the one hand, if I'm going to buy a watch which will probably last me for a pretty long time, I might as well get my money's worth; and, on the other hand, a watch is a watch, and I don't want to spend a ton of money when I can get a fully functional quartz watch for under $50. Of course, I appreciate the authenticity and craftsmanship of a more expensive watch, and I understand the mentality behind why people spend more money for them.

However, I cannot spend more than $350 right now. From looking around, it seems like the most recommended watch in that range is the Seiko Spirit. My question is whether there are other watches in that price range I should consider (and why?), or if the Seiko Spirit is the best for the money (and why?)? Also, in viewing one thread about what makes a "good" watch, some people mentioned the sentimental value of buying a good watch. I wonder if the Seiko Spirit would qualify? I mean, is the Spirit something you could imagine hanging unto for a while, even passing unto your son or something? (Perhaps a watch that meets that criteria would reach into the $1000s, I have no idea.) What do you guys think?

Thanks.

vbuskirk

Reaction score
I have a Blue Spark, and I agree that it is a solid entry into automatic timepieces.

Seiko_BlueSpark_even.jpg

Seiko_BlueSpark_odd2.jpg

On the other hand it is far from my favorite watch. It doesn't really speak to me. For me, it somehow falls short in the spirit (pun intended) and personality department. One day, I will track down a strap that makes this watch look much better than what comes on it ...

Here is my favorite Seiko:

Seiko_OwlEyes_even.jpg

Seiko_OwlEyes_even2.jpg

As you can see, it is quite sporty and probably not what you're looking for.

Here is my favorite inexpensive dress watch. It is made by Orient, which is on par with Seiko (though I prefer Orients in general). The watch was <$120 + ~$30 for the [genuine] croc band + ~$35 for the deployant.

Orient_MultiEyes_even.jpg

I've never handled one, but I hear good things about http://www.bernhardtwatch.com/binnacle.html. Debaufre.com makes some quartz that is in your price range (but derivative designs). If you're willing to save for a few more months, the $500 mark opens up a new realm of possibilities. Say for example, the Stowa Antea? Or Hamilton. Or ...

Here, try this link out. I've dealt with Mark before and can vouch for them. Plus, they have an interesting collection of 'affordable' stuff.

http://www.longislandwatch.com/

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alflauren
2) Hamilton Khaki Navy - automatic, sleek design and substantial feel, sapphire crystal, and has a Swiss ETA whereas the Seiko is produced in-house. (No real difference in accuracy, but the Hamilton does have more beats in its movement, so it produces a smoother second hand sweep.) Also, it has a clear caseback, so you can see the movement.
I'm not a watch person but I recently bought this watch and I totally love it! (Black band/white stitching/black face/white numbers/second hand with red tip) I wanted a good, respectable watch but I wasn't interested in spending thousands of dollars especially since I'm not that interested in watches. I was recommended Hamilton because apparently they're highly respected Swiss watches yet the Khaki line is pretty inexpensive for what one gets. It's a great, very good looking watch and I love it! My Khaki retailed for about $475 but there was a coupon at the Mall I found the watch (Torneau was the store) and I ended up getting it for about $375. Any similar watch from another manufacturer is going to run about $1000.

enarchay

Reaction score
I like the simplicity of the Spirit, but that Orient you posted also looks very nice. Is it an automatic? Of course, the Spirit's other features might outweigh its modest looks when compared with better looking watches with less features. However, one thing that bothers me about the Spirit is that I've read the wrist-band is low quality, and I don't like the idea of spending $350 bucks with the prospect of having to buy another wrist band.

vbuskirk

Reaction score
Ohhh, I meant to comment how much I love that rose gold, black dial, chrono Hamilton above.

Here is my Hammy:

Hamilton_Jazzmaster-OpenHeart_even.jpg

Hamilton_Jazzmaster-OpenHeart_odd.jpg

* As the Seiko Spirit, it too has a display back.

vbuskirk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
one thing that bothers me about the Spirit is that I've read the wrist-band is low quality

I wouldn't choose that term to describe it. I prefer "rugged". The strap is well made, but not dressy. It reminds me of the boyscouts for some inexplicable reason (camping theme, I guess). Also, the thickness of the Spirit is a little more than you might expect from a sleek, classy watch.

Yes, the orient is an automatic.

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vbuskirk
Ohhh, I meant to comment how much I love that rose gold, black dial, chrono Hamilton above.
How much did this cost you?

* As the Seiko Spirit, it too has a display back.
What do you mean?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads