1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

first watch?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by shoesies, Aug 18, 2008.

1. xdrift

xdrift New Member

casio.

value man, value

2. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

Hmm... do you think the blue hands will affect the watch's match-ability with wristbands and/or clothing? If I were to replace the wristband in the future, I'd like brown, but I'm not sure if that'd go with the blue.

3. tor

tor Senior member

^The blueness of the hands is very subtle, from what I've gathered from people who have seen it in person. Most of the time it's too dark to tell. And brown goes fine with blue.
    I like the look of this watch - Seiko Spirit SCVS013 [​IMG] I don't want to go too high - since it's my first watch I want it to be cheap, and then I will start to build my own character and for my next watch I wll be more certain as to what features/styles I definitely want to have. I like the idea of buying one's core competency - makes me steer clear of the Burberry watch in favor of a more specialized watch brand. I am open to learning the culture of watches, I have not yet started my watch-fetish craze - but that is only because I tied up in shoes right now [​IMG]
    That's the exact watch I was going to suggest. It's definitely on my to-buy list. And I'm pretty sure they are actually blued steel. Most pictures you see, however, they end up looking more black.

4. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

5. B|aze

B|aze Senior member

6. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

I'm pretty set on getting a Seiko Spirit at this point. However, I'm having a really tough time choosing between the SCVS001 and 013. What do you guys think of the 001 (especially in terms of its versatility or matchability with clothing) versus the 013? What would you choose in my position?

Thanks for the help so far. Just trying to ensure that I'm completely satisfied with my purchase if I'm going to spend the money.

7. B|aze

B|aze Senior member

I'm pretty set on getting a Seiko Spirit at this point. However, I'm having a really tough time choosing between the SCVS001 and 013. What do you guys think of the 001 (especially in terms of its versatility or matchability with clothing) versus the 013? What would you choose in my position? Thanks for the help so far. Just trying to ensure that I'm completely satisfied with my purchase if I'm going to spend the money.
    I would deffently get the 013, I think it's more stylish, and I don't care much for the steel bracelet on the 001, the watch is too "small" for it. Futhermore the silver is more versatile than the gold on the 001. So go for the 013 and get a brown strap, that way you can change between black and brown for maximum versatility. (you should change the black strap aswell as the quality isn't that great) Here's mine with a brown strap. [​IMG]

8. insp86

insp86 Senior member

Fantastic. Do you know where that strap is for sale? Or who made it, etc.?

I would deffently get the 013, I think it's more stylish, and I don't care much for the steel bracelet on the 001, the watch is too "small" for it. Futhermore the silver is more versatile than the gold on the 001.
    So go for the 013 and get a brown strap, that way you can change between black and brown for maximum versatility. (you should change the black strap aswell as the quality isn't that great)
    Here's mine with a brown strap.

9. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

I like the look of this watch - Seiko Spirit SCVS013
    [​IMG]

I don't want to go too high - since it's my first watch I want it to be cheap, and then I will start to build my own character and for my next watch I wll be more certain as to what features/styles I definitely want to have.

I like the idea of buying one's core competency - makes me steer clear of the Burberry watch in favor of a more specialized watch brand. I am open to learning the culture of watches, I have not yet started my watch-fetish craze - but that is only because I tied up in shoes right now [​IMG]

I like this particular Seiko. It's a steal for what you get.

10. B|aze

B|aze Senior member

Fantastic. Do you know where that strap is for sale? Or who made it, etc.?

I bought the strap at Thestrapshop
    And the strap is this one, but there's a lot of different nice straps.
    You can also try the thewatchprince.com I hear a lot good about them.

the strap is 20mm by the way

11. bure

bure Senior member

I'm looking at the Seiko Spirit SCVS003 and I was wondering about it's Accuracy.

Is "+25/-15 sec/day" manageable?
    Will it become annoying and how often will I have to adjust the time?

Thanks

12. oman

oman Senior member

this is a pretty old tag, right? looks better than half the new ones: [​IMG]

13. thebaron

thebaron New Member

Rolex or Patek. They are the only watches I buy because they maintain their value. All other makes depreciate at an alarming rate; my Rolexes have increased in value. For example, I bought a brand new GMT two-tone in 1987 for $2500 usd. The watch was used and abused for 20 years. I sold it to an authorized rolex dealer for $3500 usd. On ebay the same watch sells for $4000-$7000 usd.

You can buy a Rolex wear it for a few years and get your money back when you sell it or trade it, especially on the sport models. From my experience, Omega, TAG, and Cartier do not retain their value. My advice is to spend the money on a quality time piece that is an investment.

Don't take my word for it, see it for yourself. Used TAG's for $299, Cartier's for $800, Omega's, etc.

Check out: http://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

14. weilian

weilian Senior member

Rolex or Patek. They are the only watches I buy because they maintain their value. All other makes depreciate at an alarming rate; my Rolexes have increased in value. For example, I bought a brand new GMT two-tone in 1987 for $2500 usd. The watch was used and abused for 20 years. I sold it to an authorized rolex dealer for $3500 usd. On ebay the same watch sells for $4000-$7000 usd. You can buy a Rolex wear it for a few years and get your money back when you sell it or trade it, especially on the sport models. From my experience, Omega, TAG, and Cartier do not retain their value. My advice is to spend the money on a quality time piece that is an investment. Don't take my word for it, see it for yourself. Used TAG's for $299, Cartier's for $800, Omega's, etc. Check out: http://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9
    What a load of garbage. Go Chinese, its the future... and I don't mean any knock offs. Chinese brand, Chinese manufactured, Chinese movement, 'China Made'.

15. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

I might stay away form Burberry and get a watch from a watch maker. YOu can find many watches new and used that would be good to get. Seiko, Hamilton, are just a couple that come to mind.

16. Esa

Esa Active Member

A few months ago I got a Montblanc Timewalker Chrono and I love it (http://www.montblanc.com/products/ch...tic.09668.php). I thought it was a good starting point for me but now I want one with a leather band.

That Hamilton that B | aze has looks perfect for me... Thanks for the picture ! I was thinking about getting another MB like the star 4810 because I love my Timewalker so much but I think getting another brand is probably better to start my mini-collection. I know people express concern about MB's lack of historical presence as a watch maker but I get lots and lots of complements on it.

17. mateoban

mateoban Active Member

super advice. this is a timeless post, KhalidAZ. thanks

18. Oleg

Oleg Senior member

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, look at Stowa.