first vitals, now cargo ...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hermes, Mar 27, 2006.

1. hermes

hermes Senior member

cargo magazine has announced that it can't meet it's circulation expectations and will cease publishing with the may 2006 issue

i guess the men's shopping magazine genre is a dead one

2. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

I sort of liked Vitals, only really tolerated Cargo.

Can't say I'm too surprised. I thought it started out well enough, but seemed to lose its focus pretty quickly.

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I'll miss Vitals.....my bathroom will be less cluttered without Cargo.

4. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

SYNC started out as a "Cargo" and really quickly went from clothes to strictly electronics gadgets. Cargo had bad clothing spreads and worse clothing advice.

5. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

Dammit, I just sent in my renewal card!

6. trogdor

trogdor Senior member

It's SF's fault.

There I am, in the corner shop and I see Cargo on the shelf. I think "hmmm... shall I?" and maybe I wander over and take a peek. Then I come to my senses and think "Fuck it, why would I spend $5 on this when I can get interactive advice for free on SF?"

I can't be the only one...

7. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

The demise of Cargo means I'll spend 10 minutes less per month in Barnes & Noble reading magazines I don't intend to buy.

8. Flame

Flame Senior member

The demise of Cargo means I'll spend 10 minutes less per month in Barnes & Noble reading magazines I don't intend to buy.
    QFT!

I still buy Arena Homme whenever I can get my hands on though. Please Gods of Trad don't strike me down!

9. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

QFT!

I still buy Arena Homme whenever I can get my hands on though. Please Gods of Trad don't strike me down!

Do you like Arena Homme since it changed?

10. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

Do you like Arena Homme since it changed?
    Is this a Felicity Huffman reference? What happened?

11. briancl

briancl Senior member

my subscriptions expire in early spring, so i just went through magmall.com and did my annual renewals... i very reluctantly re-upped my sub to cargo. oh well.. i've always found the magazine to be borderline. as in, i only barely agreed with what it said. my roommate lives and dies by it, however.

also, i needed 1 more magazine to put me over 50 dollars for my $25 off $50 coupon. so i guess it was free anyway. and as long as i get my 12 dollars refunded.. ill be content.

12. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Is this a Felicity Huffman reference? What happened?

When I first saw Arena Homme a couple of years ago, the magazine was 99% clothing. A year or two ago they changed the format around and added more articles, photo spreads of chicks (not that I minded that), and all kinds of other stuff. I haven't gotten it since. (not that I wouldn't, I just haven't gotten it since)

It reminds me of Details and Interview. They have both changed quite a bit since their inception.

13. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I had a subscription to Cargo. It wasn't great, it wasn't terrible. The content was getting a bit repetitive -- how many features can you have on flat-screen TVs, anyways? -- and the clothing articles were "fastballs thrown down the middle of the plate." Now, if Menswear became a bi-monthly and sold subscriptions, that's a magazine that would work.

14. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

The limitation of any of these magazines is that most of the articles are paid adverts. It would be nice to see suggestions on style without the ulterior motive of getting you to conveniently buy what they promote or stock. There needs to be a true mens clothing and style magazine, by dandies for dandies.

15. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

There needs to be a true mens clothing and style magazine, by dandies for dandies.

That is the function of these sites - yours included. What business model could you think of that would support the development of this content?

These sites are about the closest to an operational model you can get: unfiltered content, a few high-value posters who volunteer and the ability to get interactive feedback.

If you filtered this content and had regular expectations of people WRT articles vs. relying on volunteerism and the issues of the day, contributors would start asking for $$. I have yet to hear of a magazine that sustains itself largely on the subscriber base - to do so would require a very high cost (think Visionaire), further shrinking the likely market.