• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Visit to Rome

RubberSoul

Reaction score
Family of 4 (2 teens)needs restaurant recommendations for Rome. We are looking for mid price ranged restaurants near Vatican, Piazza Navarro, Spanish Steps, and Ancient Rome/ Forum areas.

Any recommendations/ travel trips for Rome in August are welcome , thank you very much.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RubberSoul
Family of 4 (2 teens)needs restaurant recommendations for Rome. We are looking for mid price ranged restaurants near Vatican, Piazza Navarro, Spanish Steps, and Ancient Rome/ Forum areas.

Any recommendations/ travel trips for Rome in August are welcome , thank you very much.

The one tip I'd give you is to be prepared for the weather. I've been to Rome a few times in late July or August - pretty dumb since I get overheated and dehydrated fairly easily. Both times, I ended up feeling sick and miserable until I escaped to the north. Especially with kids, who may get excited and overextended on such a trip, not get as much sleep as usual, etc., be careful about hydration, sun exposure, etc. Which is not to say that you won't have a great time, but just that in planning your days it's something to keep in mind. Not the most exciting tip, I'm afraid, but hopefully a useful one.
Have a great trip.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I found a nice restaurant around the Spanish Steps. I can't remember the name of it, but if you're facing the steps, its on the right side of the square, under a canopy, near some other stairs that go up.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alflauren
Isn't that a McDonalds?

This place is pretty good and fairly cheap: http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguid...tecarlo_rome-i

cid_2282258.jpg

Ok, if you're looking down the steps, you walk down them, go to the left, and its in the corner, I can't describe it any better than that. It's a really nice restaurant under a canopy, and had great veal, pasta, and tiramisu!

alflauren

Reaction score
I'm kidding, sort of.
laugh.gif
I know that there are other restaurants there, but that's where the McDonalds is too. A really nice one, might I add. All granite and marble on the inside.

So, so far we have two restaurant tips. Any more?

RubberSoul

Reaction score
So far we got 2 tips , any others??

C'mon i know there are others who have been to Rome.

Bump

Thanks Guys

Jill

Reaction score
Hmmm. Well, I'd be inclined to advise you to get AWAY from the touristy areas, especially those that are tour-group magnets, like the Spanish Steps. One of the best meals we've had in Rome was off the beaten path a couple blocks from the Trevi Fountain. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you the name of it. If you want a nice sit-down meal, then there are a number of nice places on Via Veneto (top of the Spanish Steps + a couple blocks) just outside the major hotels. While we always stay there, at the Excelsior, we tend to eat elsewhere. We always eat at least once at a little place on the Piazza Popolo (contradicting my advice to avoid tourist areas)!!! But it's mainly for the ambiance.

Honestly, if you like Italian food, it's hard to miss. My only advice would be to ask the locals where they go with their families. You may not get the best scenery, but it will almost always be the best food. We intentionally try to get "lost" on back streets for this very reason. Only once have we been remotely disappointed - and that's after eating at least 5 or 6 dozen meals there.

One word of advice, though. When they bring a menu, it will say Primi and Secondi, as in "1st and 2nd Course". Their Primi (pasta) course is plenty, especially if you start out with caprese salad or antipasto. Unless you're a major wine snob, then take a chance and just ask for a pitcher of their house wine. It is better than 90 of the mainstream "daily" reds we drink here in the US because there are no sulphites.. and because, well, because it just tastes better in Roma!! A pitcher (4 glasses) will cost you about 6 euro at most places!! (I'm assuming that with two teenagers you're not doing haute cuisine every meal.)

FWIW, we've only had the hotel breakfast ONCE in all our trips to Italy. We much prefer to hit the streets on an empty stomach, then stop at the first cafe for a panini (sandwich) and espresso. The whole thing will cost ~ $3/person, max, and is a GREAT way to start the day.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me or Carlo.

Ciao!!

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jill
FWIW, we've only had the hotel breakfast ONCE in all our trips to Italy. We much prefer to hit the streets on an empty stomach, then stop at the first cafe for a panini (sandwich) and espresso. The whole thing will cost ~ $3/person, max, and is a GREAT way to start the day.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me or Carlo.

Ciao!!

I would definetly follow Jill's advice and hit the streets on an empty stomach, head to whatever attraction you're seeing that day, and stopping by the first cafe you see for a panini/latte, you'll have to work hard to go wrong. However, I was just traveling in Italy for a month up until a week ago and never encountered a panini/latte combo cheaper than 3-5 Euro.

Rubber Soul are you going anywhere else in Italy? I would head to the coast if you can, it's going to be very hot. Florence was hitting almost 40 degrees when I left 2 1/2 weeks ago. Have fun though, Italy is an amazing country to visit.

A.

Jill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron
...However, I ...never encountered a panini/latte combo cheaper than 3-5 Euro...
That's possible. As was discussed previously on a thread here, I think (could've been AAAC), I laughed with a couple of other posters that our favorite paninis in all of Italy are those served up at the AutoGrille!! To the uninitiated, that's Italy version of a truck stop or convenient store!

WN2

Reaction score
I can't remember the names of specific restaurants, but for authentic restaurants favoured by the locals try Trastevere district and the area couple of blocks north from Porta Pia at the end of Via XX Settembre. Both are of course some way away from the city centre.

However, in my experience the Roman restaurants tend to be quite good in general. While in many tourist destinations you can have pretty bad (mostly as in "totally average"), overpriced food and bad service, in Rome even the run-of-the-mill tourist restaurants are satisfactory. It must be in their genes not to screw up pasta and pizza or something .

alflauren

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jill
I laughed with a couple of other posters that our favorite paninis in all of Italy are those served up at the AutoGrille!!

Yeah, those are damn good. I had my fill of cotolettas while doing some touring there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads