• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Vest - want to wear pocket watch and knife

New user

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm out of sorts here. I know nothing about fashion and am colourblind too boot.

I purchased my first vests today (sick of overheating in my suit jacket) and I have a family heirloom pocket watch and gold chain that I want to wear on it, instead of on my belt loop and pants pocket as in the past.

I also have a nice pocket knife I purchased for my own wedding a few years back.

What I'd like to do is, when I wear the new vests, wear both the pocket watch and knife as well in then pockets with the chains linked to a vest button.

The chain for the watch is single, not a double, so I was planning on buying a near identical chain for my knife and attaching them to the same button so they look like a double Albert (I think it's called). Really, unless you are looking closely, I doubt you could tell they aren't one chain. I also like the image of a fob hanging down, which is where my real question comes in.

Since my chain doesn't have a fob, can I add one to the same button where thereof chains are meeting up? All the connections will be hidden behind the button anyway. Would the fob itself also have to be gold? I was thinking that, since the watch and chain are heirlooms (and the knife probably will be too in another generation), I would purchase a small family crest badge or kilt pin and us them as the fob, but they seem to only come in pewter, not gold. Or maybe I should intentionally mismatch the two chains and the fob?

I recognize these are pretty dumb quest I but I'm out of my league. I'm a fifteen dollar jeans and bogo sweatshirt guy living in the country, but with multiple formal events coming up. I appreciate your help.

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm out of sorts here. I know nothing about fashion and am colourblind too boot.

I purchased my first vests today (sick of overheating in my suit jacket) and I have a family heirloom pocket watch and gold chain that I want to wear on it, instead of on my belt loop and pants pocket as in the past.

I also have a nice pocket knife I purchased for my own wedding a few years back.

What I'd like to do is, when I wear the new vests, wear both the pocket watch and knife as well in then pockets with the chains linked to a vest button.

The chain for the watch is single, not a double, so I was planning on buying a near identical chain for my knife and attaching them to the same button so they look like a double Albert (I think it's called). Really, unless you are looking closely, I doubt you could tell they aren't one chain. I also like the image of a fob hanging down, which is where my real question comes in.

Since my chain doesn't have a fob, can I add one to the same button where thereof chains are meeting up? All the connections will be hidden behind the button anyway. Would the fob itself also have to be gold? I was thinking that, since the watch and chain are heirlooms (and the knife probably will be too in another generation), I would purchase a small family crest badge or kilt pin and us them as the fob, but they seem to only come in pewter, not gold. Or maybe I should intentionally mismatch the two chains and the fob?

I recognize these are pretty dumb quest I but I'm out of my league. I'm a fifteen dollar jeans and bogo sweatshirt guy living in the country, but with multiple formal events coming up. I appreciate your help.

I think that you will find, if you do all these things, that you will overload the buttonhole that you use. Better to find a decent double chain. The thing that you call the fob is, in fact, called an Albert (presumably after Queen Victoria's husband). So a double chain and Albert is what you're looking for a talking about. I don't know where you might find what you're seeking, but I'd give eBay a look.

New user

Reaction score
I understand the simple and correct answer is to just buy an Albert chain, however the existing chain on the watch has great sentimental value to me, having passed through three generations of my family, and having been with (along with the watch) my grandfather when he passed.

So far I've located a cheap knock off chain for my knife that looks similar to the gold chain on the watch and have made a couple purchases of things that could work as fobs, also tied to my family. I'm trying to follow the same format as the below examples:

https://smhttp-ssl-39255.nexcesscdn...Watch-with-an-Albert-Double-Chain-898x900.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODc1WDEwMDA=/z/GyIAAMXQVT9St5fr/$_1.JPG?set_id=2

Bit with different chains. Which was why I was wondering if I should return the similar chains and make all three completely different or continue to try and been them in together as the same.

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand the simple and correct answer is to just buy an Albert chain, however the existing chain on the watch has great sentimental value to me, having passed through three generations of my family, and having been with (along with the watch) my grandfather when he passed.

Fair enough. Keep the sentimental chain and wear it alone when you want to wear it. Obtain a double chain and albert for those times when you want to wear a double chain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads