1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

First trip to London - Hotel and Restaurant Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by TC (Houston), Sep 20, 2011.

1. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Why on earth would anyone willingly go to Oslo on a holiday, it's expensive and the city sucks, I'm there fairly regularly for work and that place makes me want to bash my head in.

Back on Topic check out www.londontown.com, they have info what's going on London and hotel booking via their site.

www.durrantshotel.co.uk is mentioned in almost every London thread on here, so it should be worth checking out.

2. Aditi190

Aditi190 Active Member

Hotel and Restaurant choice will depend on your budget. I think Royal Garden is good enough, it has luxurious facilities for dining. River Cafe can be an optional hotel for it. We had a London Tour two times. British Museum, London eye, Tower of London are my favorite attractions in London.

3. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

Sorry I never reported back. We had a wonderful time, could really see ourselves living there. The suite at the May Fair Hotel was fantastic. Best meal we had was at Ramsay's Petrus, had tea at the Browns Hotel on Saturday afternoon. Other than that we mostly shopped and hit gastropubs. Best few days we have spent together in a long time. I was really shocked by how friendly and accommodating everyone was, from the hotel staff to strangers, even airport workers were extremely friendly and courteous.

4. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

Bumping this thread. Debating staying at either Grosvenor House (JW Marriott) or the May Fair. Can anyone compare? Read some so-so reviews of May Fair on Tripadvisor.

Also, has anyone been to Wild Honey? Surely there must be more restaurant recommendations for London.

Also, where should I do Sunday lunch / brunch?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  5. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Hotels - The Grosvenor House is an iconic London hotel, the Mayfair is not. As a local I cannot tell you about the quality of the rooms in either of them though.

Restaurants - Sunday Lunch -
    It may be a bit obvious but had you thought of the Grand Divan at Simpsons in the Strand http://www.simpsonsinthestrand.co.uk/restaurant.php which will be busy on a Sunday.
    I like Hix on Brewer Street but have never been there for Sunday Lunch so cannot tell you what the atmosphere will be.
    Le Caprice is always worth considering,
    I have never had Sunday Lunch at the Grosvenor House but Michael Winner (a grumpy old food critic and erstwhile film director) used to rate it highly.

6. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

Thank you culver. I was considering Simpson's. And I will keep my reservation at Grosvenor House, then.

Anyone have suggestions for the best place to get meat pies?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012