• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First time visiting NYC. Food planned but any edits?

chas

Reaction score
I also agree that you should not pass up on le bernardin if you have a reservation. It is stuffy and a bit dated but the fish is sublime.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Interesting, I have a date to take my girlfriend out for a nice dinner in a few weeks, do you recommend the waxbuto?
Most definitely, if you can find a table. My biggest issue w Barbuto is that I can never get a reservation on a weekend night. This is not a fancy restaurant though - simple, good food with a strong emphasis on seasonal produce. Nothing impressive in the setting or service, if that's the kind of occasion where you'd need/want that.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
You really like him, don't you.

I should also remind you that at least twice you have followed my preference/recommendation and said that I was right.

VALIDATE ME

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I should also remind you that at least twice you have followed my preference/recommendation and said that I was right.
VALIDATE ME

Non offensive question but what are you looking for in a restaurant? I find that good service is often misunderstood and replaced by snobish service and it pissed me off.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Non offensive question but what are you looking for in a restaurant? I find that good service is often misunderstood and replaced by snobish service and it pissed me off.

It depends on the atmosphere to me. To me great service is serving what the customer wants. If someone is coming in with company or a date, don't interfere with the conversation. Pick your moments to wait on them. Be talkative if the customer would like it. Shut the **** up and be invisible, especially if they're paying through the nose for your food. I'm not a nazi about it but I really don't go to a restaurant to talk to a waiter or really anyone but the people I'm with. If I'm alone, that definitely changes, but then I usually eat at the bar.

The very best service to me is like mercury. It's amorphous and can exist in several forms. The best service brigades in the world can be gregarious with one table and a stunningly invisible presence at the table right next to it.

If I'm not paying much I don't expect much and honestly, I'm pretty easy to please. I do laugh at the giant pepper mills and waiters telling me what their name is, as if I give a ****, but mostly I'm there to eat and talk. The ones who let me do that without much interference on their part get a good tip.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
this thread inspired me, so teh gf and I will be having dinner at Le Bernardin the Saturday after next for her birthday.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
this thread inspired me, so teh gf and I will be having dinner at Le Bernardin the Saturday after next for her birthday.
Read my review in the "What did you eat last night" thread - I liked it, but it matters how you order... I think if you read that review it will give you an idea of the types of things to go for.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Read my review in the "What did you eat last night" thread - I liked it, but it matters how you order... I think if you read that review it will give you an idea of the types of things to go for.

I remember this and will read it again. We might do the chef's menu, not sure yet.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's probably a good way to go - unless you see something on the menu that you really, really want and isn't part of the chef's menu - but that's what got me into trouble
wink.gif
Also - I was so close to doing lunch @ 11 Madison Park today - I was in the building right before lunch, but didn't really have the time or want to spend $70 to eat alone.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good discussion going. May swap Aldea to lunch, eliminate Ssam (maybe got here late night), and possibly sub in Soba Koh or Ippudo for Deugstation. Honestly, whatever I end up doing, I can't imagine going wrong. These are all top tiered places. I am stoked, I leave for NY Wednesday morning.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
That's probably a good way to go - unless you see something on the menu that you really, really want and isn't part of the chef's menu - but that's what got me into trouble
wink.gif

we both hate making decisions to the chef's menu is usually what we end up doing anyways.

Also - I was so close to doing lunch @ 11 Madison Park today - I was in the building right before lunch, but didn't really have the time or want to spend $70 to eat alone.
to me, the idea of a lunch alone at EMP sounds fantastic - just me, a fresh paper, and some wonderful food.

Or, alternatively, there is the bar at Aldea right down the street.

CustomWorks

Reaction score
Ippudo is OK, at best.

Ippudo in Tokyo, is a different animal, now that is truly amazing.

They just can't seem to replicate the noodles, soup base or pork in NYC.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that's definitely the way to approach it. Just go eat your ass off. Some of your meals will be better than others, but I doubt any will be bad.

Originally Posted by sygyzy
Good discussion going. May swap Aldea to lunch, eliminate Ssam (maybe got here late night), and possibly sub in Soba Koh or Ippudo for Deugstation. Honestly, whatever I end up doing, I can't imagine going wrong. These are all top tiered places. I am stoked, I leave for NY Wednesday morning.

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sygyzy
If so, please suggest alternatives. For example: Instead of eating at A, which has gone downhill since they changed the FOH manager, consider B.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Modern (The)
Bouley
Eleven Madison Park
Marea
Corton
Aldea
Momofuku Ssam
Degustation
Jean Georges

Yeah, I have some suggestions for your list. NY. As opposed to chicago, nyc is a great city for ethnic food. Swap out half your list (your choice), save about $1000, eat like a NYer and try some of these places:

thai: http://www.sripraphairestaurant.com/pressandreview.php
szechuan chinese: http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/xiao-la-jiao/
http://szechuangourmetnyc.com/food-d...3VSgkJ5CYg2Q==

bbq: http://www.hillcountryny.com/
bbq and jazz: http://www.jazzstandard.net/red/index.html
street meat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/53rd_and_6th
pizza: http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/lucali/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads