• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First time trying Raw (guy with big legs)

JohnnyJeans

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post.. i'm looking for advice, and i'm sure this will be helpful for those guys with a similar problem. I'm in the market for my first pair of raw denim and after weeks of researching (on this site) , I finally went to go try some pairs on. Fortunately, a Barneys co-op at a local mall had a couple pairs i've been looking at which will hopefully give me a better judge on what will fit me. My Stats: I lift weights, my legs are very muscular, they measure 25 inches around. I'm 210 lbs and my measured waist is currently a 35, i usually diet down to a 33-34. I typically wear brands like Buffalo and Levi reds, at a 36 to allow room for my legs. This usually leaves me with an inch or two of a loose waist. I want a perfect fit with my raws. I'm looking to get away from having to do this with jeans i'm going to spend real money on. Tried: Naked and Famous Weird Guy: Size 34 I thought these were supposed to be a good pick for my body type, yet this cut was something i'm not used to at all. I squeezed them over my legs and hips but jeans were SKIN TIGHT to my thighs. They buttoned up all the way. They had a pretty serious taper down the leg. Naked and Famous Slim guy: Size 33 (only one they had left) You could tell by looking at these that they had no room in the hip area, knew this was going to be a problem by looking at them. I couldn't even get these past my mid-thigh area... NEXT. Nudie Easy Emil Dry organic: Size 34. Surprised at how well i did with these! The waist was actually a half inch loose, which was one of the only things that stopped me from buying these. I knew they'd end up stretching out more than i wanted. The thighs were tight, but not as tight as the weird guys. I knew after some wearing these would loosen up. Straight leg down. Also I wasn't sure if these would get the fade i was looking to get with raws. The denim felt very light, and the indigo was not extremely dark although they were labeled Dry. LVC 505 Size 34: RAW isn't the word for these, they were so stiff I could probably build a house with enough pairs! NO hip and thigh room, another pair i couldn't get past my mid thighs. Now for those of you who took the time to read through this, I have some questions. With the pairs like the LVC 505 and Slim guys, should I have sized up to a 36, or just accept that jeans like these aren't for my body type? Also what other Nudies and/or other brands would give me a fit like the easy emils did?! I think I'm getting close to making my first raw purchase!

tbs304

Reaction score
I am also a big guy, with large legs... I broke in a pair of Denim Design Lab white cone jeans, they broke in very nicely. Although they are not fading as quickly which might be a result of how i wear them. Worth a shot.

Also I heard that Raleigh Denim is coming out with a "work wear cut" which is a true straight leg and not this thigh hugging papered cut.

hope this helps.

Da Luis Vuitton Don

Reaction score
I am also a big guy, with large legs
so it is common for big guys to have small legs?
sarcasm.gif

JohnnyJeans

Reaction score
Haha, its possible, if you've ever seen someone who works out only the upper half of their body.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[SoCal2NYC]This isn't about unprotected sex?[/SoCal2NYC]

giraffe lookout

Reaction score
I think a possible answer is APC Rescues. Try to get into a 32 or 33 and break them in . They should also have them at Barney's. In fact, I'm surprised the sales associates didn't suggest them.

JohnnyJeans

Reaction score
Giraffe, looking at the sizing chart, and hearing about APC's stretching i have a feeling a 33 or 34 might work for me. I checked they didn't have APCs otherwise those would have been the first I tried. I live in NY though, i might go downtown this week and try them on at the APC store.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use the search function, there are already several threads about this topic. Just so you know, 25 inches is not that huge.

wangvicous

Reaction score
I really like the fit on the Warehouse 660's. I found that Levi's 1955 and 1966 inspired cuts to be the best as they're not straight down from the waist and have a decent taper from the upper thigh to the knee at least.

JohnnyJeans

Reaction score
Ive read the other topics, not everyone is cut the same..i wanted opinion on my personal experience.
And by the way, i never said they were huge nor I was boasting- in this case its a problem. Let me guess, you've got quads like Ronnie Coleman..

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JohnnyJeans

Reaction score
oh and by the way, I learned I was measuring in the wrong place. 27 was the correct measurement. Did those acnes ever fit your massive 22 inchers guy..??

pdsf

Reaction score
I don't have much experience with Nudies as I tend to stay away from "loud" back pockets. I'd recommend trying KMW 2010 which has a slightly looser fit. This pinned thread might help: I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here I have received much useful help there in the past - many SF members are very knowledgeable. Check it out and play nice...
smile.gif
Have fun with, ermm, your first raw experience...

dawei94

Reaction score
PBJ 003, 006 and 009 are all pretty loose, as are most sugar canes

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads