• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First time travelling over water

gq_jatt

Reaction score
I'm flying over water for the first time in my life and don't know what to expect... the longest i've ever been on a plane was 4hrs and this one'll be 18... any tips? any recommendations where to sit on the plane for ultimate comfort?? anything!!?? what's the protocol on wearing pjs?? and toothpaste.. can I bring it with me??

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you swim? It'll be a very helpful skill to have if your plan goes down over the water. Maybe pack your own inflatable life preserver in your carry on just incase something goes wrong and you can't get to the one beneath your seat.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
tylenol pm or stronger

imschatz

Reaction score
Get an emergency exit window seat. For a 18 hr flight, I'd pay w/e they charge for early seat bookings. Don't wear pj's .. it gets too cold on planes for that. But don't wear anything with really pronounced ass pockets. A cheap pair of chino's with no back pockets would be perfect. Shop for one of these if your neck gets soar sleeping crookedly.
travel-neck-pillow.jpg

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Enjoy your travels.

It's pretty much the same as a 4-hour flight, just longer. Expect a video system in you seat with a selection of a few dozen movies. And some food and a few free drinks if you are old enough. As for comfort, are you flying business or first class? If not, expect the same seating options as flying domestic -- i.e. cramped. There are websites that purport to show you seat maps on various planes and airlines, but YMMV.

I've never seen people change into pj's for a US-Europe flight, but for some US-Asia flights yes; maybe for US-ME too? As for toothpaste, you might get dinged by airport security if the tube is more than 3-4oz, but you can probably buy more in the airport once past security.

changy

Reaction score
I change into sweat pants. Don't bother with the tooth brush either, airplane tap water tastes funny. If you like aisle, pick the middle row because there's a chance the people next to you might be a couple, hence won't bother you when they go to the bathroom. Emergency exits are always great, but most of them costs money these days. Stay away from the back row. Be the first inline when they start boarding, for some reasons the planes these days have smaller overhead compartments and if you are slow to board, there's no room for your carryon, but this is less of an issue in 747+

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Sweatpant-wearing people on planes are
ffffuuuu.gif
It's usually corny ass white girls. I miss the days when it was respectable to fly on a plane...

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Sweatpant-wearing people on planes are
ffffuuuu.gif
It's usually corny ass white girls. I miss the days when it was respectable to fly on a plane...

+1 I wear a suit on the plane, but I am perfectly comfortable sitting for 10+ hours dressed like that. Coach seats can be cramped if you are an "average American" but even with my long ass legs I havent had any issues on say a 330 or 777. Use seat guru when planning your seating, gives good reviews on seats by flight number and can help you avoid flying in something stupidly uncomfortable if you are flying a US carrier (Delta still does 767 narrow bodies across the pacific, without AVOD. These reasons alone were enough to make me fly a much longer route to my hometown last year) Oh, and these long flights, the first one always seems to never end. Try to sleep or get good and liquored up on free booze.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by changy
I change into sweat pants. Don't bother with the tooth brush either, airplane tap water tastes funny. If you like aisle, pick the middle row because there's a chance the people next to you might be a couple, hence won't bother you when they go to the bathroom. Emergency exits are always great, but most of them costs money these days. Stay away from the back row. Be the first inline when they start boarding, for some reasons the planes these days have smaller overhead compartments and if you are slow to board, there's no room for your carryon, but this is less of an issue in 747+

Yup.

http://www.seatguru.com/

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Get some melatonin and muscle relaxers.
I don't recommend drinking alcohol on flights like that, it has always made me feel like **** after one drink.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I still get sauced when I get on the second leg of my flights (usually have to layover in Tokyo before I do the cross-Pacific leg) or drink a tallboy in the smoking lounge in Tokyo, and then prod the stewardesses for 2 more cans of beer or bring a couple in my carryover from the airport convenience store. It's the only way I can get to sleep for a few hours on that 8-10 hr flight.
Still, I don't change clothes. I don't even own a pair of sweatpants.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually buy a good meal and snacks before boarding along with a liter of water. The water will keep you hydrated and the snacks keep you happy.

Bring your own headphones if you have a good pair.

I find writing is a great way to pass the time and take your mind off the flight.

Have a good trip!

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Gonna pray that the iPad battery lasts long enough on at least that long leg of my flight to America this summer. Will use backup iPhone and iPod for styleforvmming across the seas if iPad dies.

ErnestoG.

Reaction score
make sure you fly british airways - unlimited free booze. none of that 5 peso a bud light **** like in america

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ErnestoG.
make sure you fly british airways - unlimited free booze. none of that 5 peso a bud light **** like in america

That's only on domestic flights guyski. I get all the free **** wine and Japo beer I can handle on my international flights, also the galley stays open in case I want a snack between meals (this has been true on Delta and United).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads