• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First time buying a suite need advice.

nevaeh

Reaction score
she just thinks that I look better in a black suit and feels it will go better with maroon, purple, and rose gold colors that she likes me to wear. she also doesn't want me to blend into the navy decorations in our vow renewal ceremony. I dont personally wear navy colors other than jeans as far as my wardrobe goes so it's not a normal color for me.
I've been looking at midnight/dark navy and I think it would look fine she's just a visual person. it doesn't help that she wanted me in black on black on black
At some point, you'll have to compromise with your wife (and she might win). But, as others have said, solid navy, mid-grey, and charcoal are the most versatile (you can wear them, really, anywhere) and pair best with most skin tones. Also, consider keeping your shirt light. Either a white or perhaps a light (sky) blue shirt. Most people look most classy with that combo.

Perhaps order one or two suits from Spier and SuitSupply in navy and mid-grey, try them on and let her see how it looks in real life. (If I remember correctly, SuitSupply will allow any suit to be returned for free; Spier will allow the first one to be returned for free, without a return shipping cost.)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
By black on black on black do you mean suit/shirt/tie?

Agree the OP should not wear a black suit with a black shirt and a black tie. If your significant other really wants you to wear a black suit, then go with a white shirt. It will create some contrast with the suit and, as Validus noted, won't look so much like a prom date.

Last edited:

PORCAMOSRL

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We have Luigi Borelli and Barba Napoli, also Isaia, all within your price range

znn1994

Reaction score
I've finally got it figured out. I'm going to commission two custom suits one in the darkest navy I can get and the other in a dark grey or charcoal. I'll also be buying the black Ted baker London Endurance for $300 because it won't hurt to own a black suit for funerals. That should cover me for all situations. now to find a suit maker online.

znn1994

Reaction score
Destin florida. Is online that bad? I figured I'd go get sized by a tailor here local than order suits. otherwise there's only one or two stores that do custom work that I know of. one is Menswearhouse and the other is a bridal shop/tailor.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
she just thinks that I look better in a black
Does she watch a lot of Ted Lasso?

1632762901881.png

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t know much about Florida, but I can tell you based on what I’ve seen here that online made to measure typically ends horribly. Do you absolutely need a suit or do you just want one? If the latter, then just wait. If the former, you’re probably better off with mens wearhouse.

I’ve heard others speak well of their Joseph Abboud made to measure program. It’s probably right around your target price too.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
she just thinks that I look better in a black suit and feels it will go better with maroon, purple, and rose gold colors that she likes me to wear. she also doesn't want me to blend into the navy decorations in our vow renewal ceremony. I dont personally wear navy colors other than jeans as far as my wardrobe goes so it's not a normal color for me.
I've been looking at midnight/dark navy and I think it would look fine she's just a visual person. it doesn't help that she wanted me in black on black on black
I imagine your wife is a lovely person and I mean no offense. But most women know very little about menswear, even those who think they do. (“I know what I like” doesn’t count.) Case in point: There is no way you will “blend in” to the room decorations.

Personally I never solicit a woman’s opinion about my clothes, with the possible exception of jeans fit. But that’s just me.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't do online made to measure.

Buy two suits from Spier & Mackay in your closest size. Post photos here of you in the suit and people can judge the fit. When you see the issues that are pointed out, you will get a better idea of what to look for when it comes to fit. A suit is all about the fit, not really the color. Grey and navy are almost interchangeable.

Don't buy that Ted Baker suit. It likely doesn't fit you well. Recommend don't getting lured into the idea of a "good deal."

Leiker

Reaction score
Here's a local shop that carries suits, has good online ratings. I'm guessing you'll find suits there within your $1000 budget, and they'll be able to alter it properly.

efta

Reaction score
I've finally got it figured out. I'm going to commission two custom suits one in the darkest navy I can get and the other in a dark grey or charcoal. I'll also be buying the black Ted baker London Endurance for $300 because it won't hurt to own a black suit for funerals. That should cover me for all situations. now to find a suit maker online.
Navy and charcoal. Is good, though also consider the climate where you live. If you’re outdoors in warm weather, other materials might be more optimal. If you’re hell bent on getting a black suit, why not just get a tuxedo?
You can buy rtw suits and have them altered, just make sure that they’re from reputable manufacturers and the measurements are good.

znn1994

Reaction score
well I plan to drive to a few cities this weekend and visit some more retailers. I'm also going to visit a tailor and get my measurements taken. I hope to find a suit in midnight or dark navy/blue.
I've found a suit online that I really like in a Midnight Ermenegildo Zegna fabric. With the recommendation of the masses I will not buy a black suit. As far as my choice of a dark blue suit I just look good in dark colors and that's my preference. I am entertaining the idea of a 3 pc suit in charcoal or gray as well.
hopefully I can find something that complements purple very well because it is my favorite color. Thank you all for your help thus far in steering me in the right direction for a smart and responsible purchase.

Last edited:

znn1994

Reaction score
Navy and charcoal. Is good, though also consider the climate where you live. If you’re outdoors in warm weather, other materials might be more optimal. If you’re hell bent on getting a black suit, why not just get a tuxedo?
You can buy rtw suits and have them altered, just make sure that they’re from reputable manufacturers and the measurements are good.
I move around quite often but will take the general weather of the states I travel into consideration. I unfortunately am no stranger to the heat and heavy layers. I wear full welding leathers on a daily basis. As well as having had the pleasure to stand in many ceremonies in Dress Blues and Alphas. I personally don't like rental tuxedos and having done that for my wedding I was hoping to avoid doing it again. I plan on having anything I buy taken to a tailor and fitted to me.

nevaeh

Reaction score
well I plan to drive to a few cities this weekend and visit some more retailers. I'm also going to visit a tailor and get my measurements taken. I hope to find a suit in midnight or dark navy/blue.
I've found a suit online that I really like in a Midnight Ermenegildo Zegna fabric. With the recommendation of the masses I will not buy a black suit. As far as my choice of a dark blue suit I just look good in dark colors and that's my preference. I am entertaining the idea of a 3 pc suit in charcoal or gray as well.
hopefully I can find something that complements purple very well because it is my favorite color. Thank you all for your help thus far in steering me in the right direction for a smart and responsible purchase.
I’m curious, what will be purple that needs complementing?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads