• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First time buying a suite need advice.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would encourage you not to buy suits on eBay. How the suit fits you personally is much more important than the “quality” of construction. I do agree that 100% wool fabric is a good minimum standard. Just because one suit fits me great does not mean it will fit you well. If you do buy online, be sure they have a good return/exchange policy.
Also be aware that most suits need a little tailoring for them to fit you well, so be prepared to spend another $50-75 for additional work. At the very least most suits need some sleeve and trouser length adjustment, though some places will include that for free if you buy in person.
I live in the US and I strongly feel that a dark navy suit will be most versatile suit you can buy if you just have one suit. It will be fine for funerals and more appropriate than black for almost everything else.
Do you have a Brooks Brothers store nearby? Not a factory outlet. I’d at least stop in, if nothing else you can get a ballpark idea of your size if you do decide to look online.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
I agree they are hard to find especially with everything going on in the states and globally at the moment. I've heard and read this opinion a lot that black is a taboo color. I find it confusing though isn't the norm in Asian culture black? I also was under the impression that it was fashionable in the states for a time recently as well. It seams there are to opposing thoughts in regards to the black suit and its appropriateness as far as what I'm reading online. I'd like to hear some real advice on the subject if I could?

You need to remember, "fashionable" is almost a dirty word around here. Most Styleforum regulars (especially the ones who know a lot about suits) prefer a timeless look and try to avoid anything considered "trendy".

Black is a hard color in classic menswear, and a full suit in black is pretty limited in what you can wear it with (generally black shoes and white shirts). A navy or even midnight suit is much more flexible - even though you only wear the suit for special occasions, a black suit may be too formal for some daytime weddings or other daytime special events.

But still, for your situation a black suit wouldn't be as bad of a choice, and if it's what you (and your wife) really prefer it may be better to get a black suit that you both agree you look good in, rather than a navy or charcoal suit that the guys at Styleforum thinks you look good in.

1k should be able to get you a fine suit, especially if you stay away from the fashion/luxury brands, where you'll end up paying more for the marketing. For reference, I picked up a 3 piece tuxedo from Bladen Tailoring (sadly not an easy brand to find...) for about 1k, and that included alterations. Standard advice for everyone buying a suit: spend some time reading up on the contemporary versus the classic fit: it's quite "fashionable" with very short, tight suit jackets with slim lapels, combined with low-rise, slim fit trousers (often with a slightly short leg). In my opinion, this looks like you're wearing a suit you got as a teenager, and you're now 6" taller than when you got the suit. Anyway, your preferences may vary, but I really encourage you to read up on this and decide what look you want and make sure you don't get pushed into getting something else. As some previous posters have suggested, budget for alterations (maybe 15% of the cost of the suit) and you'll end up having a much better fit - a cheaper suit tailored to fit you will look better than a high quality suit with no alterations.

Obviously make sure you get a suit made out of 100% natural materials - never accept anything that contains polyester (the lining will probably be artificial - viscose - and this is fine, but the black fabric should be 100% organic, most likely wool for the uses you are describing).

Buying stuff off of ebay can be great if you're interested in clothing, but I'd avoid it to get your only suit. It requires a bit of interest to spot the good deals, and seeing as how you're on a deadline, I would suggest investing your time and energy into getting a suit that really meets your requirements, instead of looking for a possible bargain online. Just my opinion, of course.

Best of luck!

znn1994

Reaction score
I would encourage you not to buy suits on eBay. How the suit fits you personally is much more important than the “quality” of construction. I do agree that 100% wool fabric is a good minimum standard. Just because one suit fits me great does not mean it will fit you well. If you do buy online, be sure they have a good return/exchange policy.
Also be aware that most suits need a little tailoring for them to fit you well, so be prepared to spend another $50-75 for additional work. At the very least most suits need some sleeve and trouser length adjustment, though some places will include that for free if you buy in person.
I live in the US and I strongly feel that a dark navy suit will be most versatile suit you can buy if you just have one suit. It will be fine for funerals and more appropriate than black for almost everything else.
Do you have a Brooks Brothers store nearby? Not a factory outlet. I’d at least stop in, if nothing else you can get a ballpark idea of your size if you do decide to look online.
All I have in my local area is factory outlets. Brooks Brothers and Men's Warehouse and then your Dillards and such. I went to both men's warehouse and brooks brothers outlets but the clerks were very unhelpful. I do plan on taking the suit to be tailored by the most reputable one I can find in my area.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black is not appropriate for weddings, vow renewals or anything other than a funeral, when you would wear it with a white shirt, dark tie and black Oxford shoes. It is hard to pair with any other clothes and looks out of place--especially in the daytime. As for Asia--I worked in China (Shanghai, HK and Guangzhou). Yes, they do lots of things differently than Westerners although I don't recall a lot of black suits. The current president of China dyes his hair black but he wears navy suits. Wherever you live, for your one suit, you want navy.

znn1994

Reaction score
Black is not appropriate for weddings, vow renewals or anything other than a funeral, when you would wear it with a white shirt, dark tie and black Oxford shoes. It is hard to pair with any other clothes and looks out of place--especially in the daytime. As for Asia--I worked in China (Shanghai, HK and Guangzhou). Yes, they do lots of things differently than Westerners although I don't recall a lot of black suits. The current president of China dyes his hair black but he wears navy suits. Wherever you live, for your one suit, you want navy.
I'll have to look into different navy suits with my wife again maybe I can find one that fits her taste. We both like a two button, modern fit, that's double vented. Here is what we both originally found and liked. I found it for $399 today at saks fifth Avenue. The purple is what caught my attention its my favorite color. I had originally found it a Nordstroms for 800

Attachments

• 20210925_170016.jpg
    20210925_170016.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210925_170101.jpg
    20210925_170101.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210925_165943.jpg
    20210925_165943.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 107

Lev Vyacheslavovich

Reaction score
It looks very nice! But yes I do have to agree that fit is the # 1 priority compared to quality. As long as it fits you, you should be fine in terms of functionality. If in the end, you choose to buy in eBay, I forgot to mention that yes, it takes a VERY long time to find a well-fitting jacket on eBay, and if you have a lot of time and that you don't need a suit now, then buying online could be a good option.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I agree with everything written here ^

You may also want to purchase two suits from Spier & Mackay in your nearest size. They often fit people well. From your measurements, it sounds like you're about average size and you may work in their cuts. Purchase two sizes so you have options and then return whichever size doesn't work. If you post photos here of you in the suit, people can give feedback.

znn1994

Reaction score
I'm looking into midnight navy suits now trying to explain to the wife that it's practically black she said ill have to get some samples of cloth to compare. I may end up buying two suits out of this color ordeal guess it wouldn't hurt two have options. Definitely going to have to make a trip to somewhere that has reputable shops or buy online.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into midnight navy suits now trying to explain to the wife that it's practically black she said ill have to get some samples of cloth to compare. I may end up buying two suits out of this color ordeal guess it wouldn't hurt two have options. Definitely going to have to make a trip to somewhere that has reputable shops or buy online.

Is she anti navy?

I know it's like beating a dead horse, but I would also strongly recommend against a black suit.

A dark navy is wearable in any situation where you might think black is suitable. Black grey/greens out in the light, and can look washed out and generally bad in sunlight. Dark navy conversely can actually look darker than black, and richer, in indirect and indoor light.

znn1994

Reaction score
Is she anti navy?

I know it's like beating a dead horse, but I would also strongly recommend against a black suit.

A dark navy is wearable in any situation where you might think black is suitable. Black grey/greens out in the light, and can look washed out and generally bad in sunlight. Dark navy conversely can actually look darker than black, and richer, in indirect and indoor light.

she just thinks that I look better in a black suit and feels it will go better with maroon, purple, and rose gold colors that she likes me to wear. she also doesn't want me to blend into the navy decorations in our vow renewal ceremony. I dont personally wear navy colors other than jeans as far as my wardrobe goes so it's not a normal color for me.
I've been looking at midnight/dark navy and I think it would look fine she's just a visual person. it doesn't help that she wanted me in black on black on black

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Like others in this thread, I think you would do better in navy or grey for all the reasons already stated. However, if your partner feels strongly about this issue, and you're renewing vows, and you don't wear suits often, I would personally just go with what she likes. It's ultimately not that big of a deal, and if you don't wear suits often, it will be almost a non-issue for the other parts of your life.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
she just thinks that I look better in a black suit and feels it will go better with maroon, purple, and rose gold colors that she likes me to wear. she also doesn't want me to blend into the navy decorations in our vow renewal ceremony. I dont personally wear navy colors other than jeans as far as my wardrobe goes so it's not a normal color for me.
I've been looking at midnight/dark navy and I think it would look fine she's just a visual person. it doesn't help that she wanted me in black on black on black

You could always get a charcoal suit. Might go better with purple. I think purple is an incredibly difficult color to wear, personally, depending on skin tone. Rose gold likely better with navy, though I'm not sure what you'd be wearing in rose gold (other than jewelry - and if you are worried about matching jewelry to your suit you're too far down the rabbit hole).

By black on black on black do you mean suit/shirt/tie?

Please don't do that. That's like a bad prom photo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads