• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First time buying a suite need advice.

znn1994

Reaction score
I went to all the local b&m stores to try and find a black suit for formal semi-formal occasions and didn't have much luck. The clerks didn't seem very knowledgeable and were very short at the stores I went to and didn't seem to take me very seriously showing me the cheapest they had to offer not wanting to spend much time with me and pushing me into a quick decision. I have a budget of 1k for a quality suit. I tried on a Ted Baker London Endurance (black, purple) 40r that I felt really comfortable in and the fit and style was to my liking for $800 but after reading reviews here I'm not to inclined to purchase it. I would appreciate some alternatives if anyone has any?

(definitely spelled suit wrong in title if someone wants to fix that lol gotta love auto fill)

Last edited:

nevaeh

Reaction score
How soon do you need the suit? Destin's in a tough spot, since neither Tampa, Orlando, nor Miami--the cities with some decent menswear stores I know of--are anywhere near. Can you drive to one of those?

If not, look into ordering from SuitSupply or Spier & Mackay online. Both are known for well-made suits within your price range. An advantage with SuitSupply is that they have a great return policy. Have someone take some measurements and work with SuitSupply's or Spier's online customer service and confirm that 40R is the right size for you on their patterns.

What suit color (e.g., navy, mid-grey, charcoal) and style (e.g., two button, three button) are you thinking?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
United States, Northwest Florida, Destin/Fortwalton Beach

I should have also asked: what is your height, chest size, and waist size?

Sorry for the additional question. Will help us give you better advice.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Above advice is good. Meanwhile let’s assume you don’t really want a black suit, which is for funerals and is actually hard to pair with shirts (beyond white), shoes, ties etc. They are also hard to find. If this is your first suit and you are not the leader of a latenight TV band, it should be classic navy.

znn1994

Reaction score
How soon do you need the suit? Destin's in a tough spot, since neither Tampa, Orlando, nor Miami--the cities with some decent menswear stores I know of--are anywhere near. Can you drive to one of those?

If not, look into ordering from SuitSupply or Spier & Mackay online. Both are known for well-made suits within your price range. An advantage with SuitSupply is that they have a great return policy. Have someone take some measurements and work with SuitSupply's or Spier's online customer service and confirm that 40R is the right size for you on their patterns.

What suit color (e.g., navy, mid-grey, charcoal) and style (e.g., two button, three button) are you thinking?

November 1st is when I need the suit by its for a close friends wedding. I'm not a groomsmen but am the husband to the maid of honor. I can make a trip to Orlando if I need to as well. I'm going with a black suit. I'll only ever need it for weddings or other highly formal events. Plus my wife seams to only like me in a black suit. Tried charcoal but she wasn't having it.

znn1994

Reaction score
I should have also asked: what is your height, chest size, and waist size?

Sorry for the additional question. Will help us give you better advice.

Had my wife take the measurements.
Height 71"
Chest 40"
Waist 32"
Shoulder 18"
Sleeve 23"

Lev Vyacheslavovich

Reaction score
If you have a budget for $1k, make sure that the suit/blazer you will buy is fully canvassed ( since fused items don't last relatively to canvassed jackets). Brands I recommend in this price range are Canali, Sartoria Castangia, Isaia, Belvest, Caruso, and much more. Canali may be more accessible in your location though. It is a good starter brand for quality suits and separates.You could buy many of these brands online on eBay or on websites such as Sartoriale. Additionally, I recommend not buying a black suit, since this color is for really formal occasions, such as funerals and weddings. I would buy in dark navy or in charcoal grey. Hopes this helps

znn1994

Reaction score
Above advice is good. Meanwhile let’s assume you don’t really want a black suit, which is for funerals and is actually hard to pair with shirts (beyond white), shoes, ties etc. They are also hard to find. If this is your first suit and you are not the leader of a latenight TV band, it should be classic navy.
I agree they are hard to find especially with everything going on in the states and globally at the moment. I've heard and read this opinion a lot that black is a taboo color. I find it confusing though isn't the norm in Asian culture black? I also was under the impression that it was fashionable in the states for a time recently as well. It seams there are to opposing thoughts in regards to the black suit and its appropriateness as far as what I'm reading online. I'd like to hear some real advice on the subject if I could?

Lev Vyacheslavovich

Reaction score
So the main reason why black is not recommended is that it is difficult to pair it with other colors compared to navy for instance. It is subjective in my opinion, but to me navy looks a lot nicer paired with other colors compared to black. There's a really nice video from Gentleman's Gazette that covers this: The Most Overrated Color in Menswear: Black & What Colors To Wear Instead

znn1994

Reaction score
So the main reason why black is not recommended is that it is difficult to pair it with other colors compared to navy for instance. It is subjective in my opinion, but to me navy looks a lot nicer paired with other colors compared to black. There's a really nice video from Gentleman's Gazette that covers this: The Most Overrated Color in Menswear: Black & What Colors To Wear Instead
I will definitely take a look at that thank you. Besides the fact that my wife likes how I look in black. another reason I was leaning that direction was the fact that that I'm not in a profession that I can wear a suit. I'm a pipeline welder. The opportunity to wear a suit is entirely based on outside events weddings, funerals, and the occasional formal dinner party. I dont even wear a suit to interviews because it's not professionally appropriate for my field of work.
The main reason I'm buying a suit instead of just renting is because I plan to use it for my own 10year vow renewal in 2 years.

Lev Vyacheslavovich

Reaction score
In this situation, buying a black suit may be a good idea, if you are only able to wear a suit on occasions such as weddings and funerals then buying a black suit is a very logical decision. Just make sure when buying the jacket, it is fully canvassed and is made with no synthetics.... it will last longer ( even though you will be wearing it very rarely, if you want a quality suit, these are the minimum requirements in my opinion)

Lev Vyacheslavovich

Reaction score
Here's a link to a spreadsheet of suit brands of ranging qualities. You can buy the majority of them for less than 1k on ebay or Sartoriale, for instance, I recently purchased a new Orazio Luciano blazer that was originally for 3k for $600 on ebay, and it fit me perfectly:

spreadsheet

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics