• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First time at Katz's Deli . . . ORGASM

samblau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/07/dining/07deli.html

The one mentioned in brooklyn is actually pretty good.

There is a severe lack of Jewish/Josher delis...I wish we had one near me in Brooklyn Heights....the place is full of rich Jews, I mean why not?

There are plenty of issues...deli is not haute cuisine, but it is priced as such. Many delis that prepare the classics moved away from doing it right but charge as such. My mother/grandmother prepare chopped liver etc., not often bc its a pain **********, but it is much cheaper, livers are about $3 per lbs and much much better. Why should I pay $17 for a Hebrew National sandwich on mass produced bread, $7 for soup made from a mix?

The health factor is also an issue...maybe if they made a normal sized sandwich for around $10 people would be more likely to return.

On LI there is a deli called Woodro, I hate LI, esp where I grew up, but always liked that place (and a fried clam place called Bigelows out on Sunrise Hwy)

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stopped by Irv's http://www.irvings-deli.com/ in livingston,nj yesterday on the way back from princeton. When I walked in, the counter guy offered me some pastrami. He pulled out an uncut flat, sliced up 3-4 pieces with a knife and let me try. It was very, very good. I asked for some brisket too and that was good so I ordered a combo sandwich, half pastrami and half brisket. I also asked that he cut my pastrami off the flat I tried. The pastrami was great, hand cut, would be in the top five in nyc. The brisket was very good but next time it will be straight pastrami. They also have boylan soda on tap with free refills. If you're driving on 287 in nj, it's definitely worth a stop. I was on the gsp, and for the 15-20 minutes it took me to get there, I'd prefer to eat in the city. Turns out Irv's is pretty close to jimmy buff's, so if you want to play fast and loose with a heart attack, hit Irv's for pastrami and jimmy buff's for a newark dog: http://www.hollyeats.com/JimmyBuffs.htm

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If jersey is still in the picture, my favorite as a kid was Tabatchnick's in Highland Park. I am not sure if it is still there, but it had no dine-in at all. I just remember all the times we were buying cold-cuts and Bernie behind the counter would give me a little slice of Tongue or Salami to taste. He was such a nice man. I will never forget the first time my father explained the numbers tattooed on his arm. I remember wondering how he could be so nice after such an awful thing happened to him.

Sorry to include you all on my little trip down memory lane.
Am Yisroel Chai.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
If jersey is still in the picture, my favorite as a kid was Tabatchnick's in Highland Park. I am not sure if it is still there, but it had no dine-in at all. I just remember all the times we were buying cold-cuts and Bernie behind the counter would give me a little slice of Tongue or Salami to taste. He was such a nice man. I will never forget the first time my father explained the numbers tattooed on his arm. I remember wondering how he could be so nice after such an awful thing happened to him. Sorry to include you all on my little trip down memory lane. Am Yisroel Chai.
That's a great story.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
If jersey is still in the picture, my favorite as a kid was Tabatchnick's in Highland Park. I am not sure if it is still there, but it had no dine-in at all. I just remember all the times we were buying cold-cuts and Bernie behind the counter would give me a little slice of Tongue or Salami to taste. He was such a nice man. I will never forget the first time my father explained the numbers tattooed on his arm. I remember wondering how he could be so nice after such an awful thing happened to him. Sorry to include you all on my little trip down memory lane. Am Yisroel Chai.
Is this the same Tabatchnicks that makes the soups and kosher foods you can find in the freezer section?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Is this the same Tabatchnicks that makes the soups and kosher foods you can find in the freezer section?
You know... I never knew that for sure even when I lived there. They certainly sold the Tabatchnick's brand stuff in the store. It seems the soup folks are headquartered in Somerset which is relatively close to Highland Park.

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tabatchnick deli was a chain and I believe they also make the soups. I believe this deli is still owned by the family: http://www.eppesessen.com/ Coincidentally, I was driving last night and heard that npr is going to interview david sax, author of Save the Deli, next week, They are looking for stories, chicagoron, maybe you could fill out some details of your story and email it to them. Here is the save the deli web page, some pretty good information including the 10 most underrated delis in nyc from yeserday's daily news: http://www.savethedeli.com/
Originally Posted by edmorel
just had the pastrami at Sarge's. Garbage.
ed, I'm sorry you didn't like my recommendation, what didn't you like about it? I haven't been there in a couple of years but I note its listed in the daily news as one of the 10 most underrated delis in the city.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
got this amazon notice yesterday. very apropos: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/015...3142080_snp_dp

* just read above post...
shog[1].gif

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
got this amazon notice yesterday. very apropos: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/015...3142080_snp_dp

* just read above post...
shog[1].gif

Interestingly, he also says that the best delis are not in NYC, but LA:

http://www.latimes.com/features/food...,2458117.story

Acre for acre, Sax maintains that Southern California boasts "more delicatessens of higher quality, on average, than anywhere else in America." He commends Nate 'n Al in Beverly Hills; Factor's in Pico-Robertson; Junior's in West L.A.; Greenblatt's on the Sunset Strip; Art's in Studio City; Canter's in the Fairfax district; and the various Hat locations.

But Sax reserves his highest praise for Langer's, near MacArthur Park -- where the pastrami sandwich "encapsulates perfection at every turn" -- and Brent's in Northridge and Westlake Village -- which he calls "absolutely sensational."
--Andre

hws

Reaction score
If one is having orgasm from small thing as eating in Jewish deli he must to do climax control or invite also Meg Ryan!

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Interestingly, he also says that the best delis are not in NYC, but LA:

http://www.latimes.com/features/food...,2458117.story

--Andre

I like Nate 'n Al's, though perhaps more because of childhood memories than food quality. Junior's is good (and close to UCLA,) though they could have a slightly better menu. Langer's is great, but the wait can be oppressive at times. There used to be a great deli on Santa Monica around the high teens/low twenties, but it closed in the early 90's. I can't remember the name.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hws
If one is having orgasm from small thing as eating in Jewish deli he must to do climax control or invite also Meg Ryan!

teacha.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads