• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

first time at a club... what to wear?

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Actually, quite a spectrum of advice was offered. Had the OP stuck around he could have selected from the following:

The Aggressive: Best chance of actually getting laid. Pooh-poohed as "mystery-method"-ish nonsense, the sad reality is that this approach, given some confidence could be high-impact with drunken chicks who appreciate the ballsy guy.
Originally Posted by Laffertron
Like many people have said wear something normal and not too hot. To improve your chances with girls wear something that is a conversation starter, a stripper cowboy hat -available at costume shops- is a good choice (seriously). If a girl comes up and talks about it you can make finger guns and go "bang bang" in a playful way at her. (seriously). If she wants to try it on, let her then after you've talked some more you can ask her if she considers herself a good kisser.

The only cologne you should wear is Thierry Mugler's Angel for men, because it smells like chocolate and will improve your chances of getting laid.

If you don't score don't worry too much, you're 18, most 18 year olds suck at macking girls. But good luck anyway. Talk to lots of women and tell them it's your birthday. See if you can get them to buy you drinks.

This is Dad's advice.
Originally Posted by Gingahbman
1) Dark jeans
2) Button down shirt (top button undone, two undone max)
3) Dress shoes (some bouncers are assholes and will throw you out if you don't have the proper shoes)

Besides that, just have a good time man. People at clubs (especially at that age) are usually so fucked up from pregaming extremely hard that they won't notice what you are wearing. Plus most clubs are packed so you'll be sweating your balls off if you come dressed to the nines (blazer, etc.).

Most importantly, just have a good time with your friends and enjoy your birthday broham. Don't stress the details
biggrin.gif

The Standard...
Originally Posted by tc6
It depends on the club. For most places, you'd be safe with any shirt thats fitted, not tight but fitted and dark slim fit jeans. If you're wearing sneakers no athletic styles, stick to the more classic styles(Chuck Tylers, Puma Suedes etc..) other wise get some simple black dress shoes.

I go clubbing fairly often and if you stick with the above style, pretty much what everyone else is recomending, you'll look better dressed than about 90% of the guys in there.

And stay away from Ed Hardy and Affliction for your tees and don't wear jeans that are all ripped up(vintage), you're gonna look like a guido if you do.

Also get some decent cologne if you don't have any, it might make a good impression if you're dancing with a girl.

Rico Suave... the slightly more upscale/sophisticated approach
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
BB OCBD and make those AE's seconds long wings
laugh.gif

Seriously it really depends on the club. Some clubs I'll just wear a fitted t-shirt and dark slim jeans with boat shoes or something; others I'll wear something like a medium grey sportcoat, pink OCBD, navy incotex (very slim), and some black leather shoes (easier to cover up the scuffs after). It really depends on the scene. Matt gave some good advice about checking out their FB page or website to see which way the crowd goes.

lol at people not being able to take a little trolling and snark: L2SF

rexthedestroyer

Reaction score
Is there a dress code? if not, wear wind breaker pants and no underwear. This works real well when you are grinding on a chick. You might even get lucky on your first night out.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does one do at a club? I will be 28 soon, and I'd like to go to one by then. Also how do you get into the club? Is there a form that I need to fill out, or will I be invited?

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
What does one do at a club? I will be 28 soon, and I'd like to go to one by then. Also how do you get into the club? Is there a form that I need to fill out, or will I be invited?

50 Cent wrote a quite exhaustive essay on this subject. Listen and learn.

Laffertron

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBugatti
The Aggressive: Best chance of actually getting laid. Pooh-poohed as "mystery-method"-ish nonsense, the sad reality is that this approach, given some confidence could be high-impact with drunken chicks who appreciate the ballsy guy.

Thanks for being the first person who point out that despite the HURR MYSTERY METHOD factor, the advice I've given actually works. (They don't have to be drunk either, having a confident joie de vivre seems to attract girls like the billy-o. If you can't make her laugh, you can't make her come.)

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Thanks for being the first person who point out that despite the HURR MYSTERY METHOD factor, the advice I've given actually works. (They don't have to be drunk either, having a confident joie de vivre seems to attract girls like the billy-o. If you can't make her laugh, you can't make her come.)
I am thankful to say I mostly go out to places where you and your silly hat would be refused at the door.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like many people have said wear something normal and not too hot. To improve your chances with girls wear something that is a conversation starter, a stripper cowboy hat -available at costume shops- is a good choice (seriously). If a girl comes up and talks about it you can make finger guns and go "bang bang" in a playful way at her. (seriously). If she wants to try it on, let her then after you've talked some more you can ask her if she considers herself a good kisser. The only cologne you should wear is Thierry Mugler's Angel for men, because it smells like chocolate and will improve your chances of getting laid. If you don't score don't worry too much, you're 18, most 18 year olds suck at macking girls. But good luck anyway. Talk to lots of women and tell them it's your birthday. See if you can get them to buy you drinks.
marsupialed. I don't understand why people need to do idiotic ****. Are you all that ******* ugly, awkward, and one-dimensional that you need to resort to this crap to get girls? Jesus ******* christ. I shudder at the thought of the ****** chicks you find with these methods. For me it depends on what I expect to happen. I usually just wear skinny jeans, baller sneakers, and a tight white v-neck. If I don't think it's going to be sloppy at all, I might wear a slim button down, but I usually stick with the v-neck. If you want a real conversation starter, just wear gothninja, at least you won't be a douche and a half. edit: also, heels if you've got them.

volatility smile

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
marsupialed. I don't understand why people need to do idiotic ****. Are you all that ******* ugly, awkward, and one-dimensional that you need to resort to this crap to get girls? Jesus ******* christ. I shudder at the thought of the ****** chicks you find with these methods.

itxNY.jpg

You were saying? (no, I don't necessarily condone these practices, but still)

gotlighters

Reaction score
18 and up... those were the days.

raw denim... slim dress shirt (H&M works)... maybe a v-neck underneath and some black vans. it's only an 18 and up club.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads