• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FIRST SUIT

cabanaman

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am new to the forum, so please bear with me even if I have made any simple mistake or asked a ridiculous question.

Basically, I am looking to buy my first polyester-free suit. Since I am based in London, the choice is not an easy one to make. (UN)Fortunately, my budget is limited to £300-£400. For that reason, I was eagerly looking for suits that are currently on sale (50%-70% discounts are extremely appealing). Would you have any suggestions for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

By way of example, what do you think about this one:
http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/Perry-Slim...,en_GB,pd.html?start=5&cgid=Mens-Suit-Bundles

I am not entirely sure whether I should go for 100% wool or whether a percentage of mohair or linen is something I should consider as well. What are your views on that? Also, what do you think about super 110's Merino Wool?

As I said, I am completely new to this, taking the very first step on the way to determine my style.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

BW,
Cabana Man

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

I have seen TM Lewin suits and I consider them rather to be of low quality.

Since you are in London, you might want to have a look a suit supply. I have no personal experience with them, but they are recommended frequently, they have three stores in London and they are right within your desired price range.

With regards to materials: 100% wool is your best bet for the first suit and make sure you do not get too high with the super numbers else the fabric will wrinkle easily. Something in the range of Super 100 up to 120 (maybe 130) would be a good choice. Finally, do not go immediately into pattered fabrics and stay with a solid dark grey or solid navy.

Last edited:

cabanaman

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the suggestion.

I had a look at their website first and singled out one that I liked the most:

http://eu.suitsupply.com/suits/suit...2529,en_GB,pd.html?start=54&cgid=Suits&pmin=1

However, I am not too sure whether the blue colour is not too dark. In some light it might indeed look like a black suit - an impression I would not like to make. What do you think? As always, any view would be greatly appreciated!

BW,
Cabana Man

Alex Dumortier

Reaction score
Quote:
I wouldn't be too concerned about that. Is it possible that, at one point in the suit's life, you find yourself in a nightclub, or some other locale where the lighting conditions are such that someone may or may not be able to distinguish whether this suit is navy or black? Yes, it's possible. However, under essentially all conditions -- particularly in business situations (assuming you don't work in a nightclub) -- nobody is going to mistake it for anything other than a classic navy suit.

Last edited:

Ivar

Reaction score

I wouldn't be too concerned about that. Is it possible that, at one point in the suit's life, you find yourself in a nightclub, or some other locale where the lighting conditions are such that someone may or may not be able to distinguish whether this suit is navy or black? Yes, it's possible. However, under essentially all conditions -- particularly in business situations (assuming you don't work in a nightclub) -- nobody is going to mistake it for anything other than a classic navy suit. 

Yep. Don't sweat it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads