• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First suit

Mystic-poot

Reaction score
Evening, gents.

Going to be buying my first suit for sixth-form in the next five months, I'm 17 and I've got a budget of £600, £645 at a push. I'm clueless.

A friend of mine recommended a few sites and I found this:

http://thekooples.com/page-liste-en-...38088012-HV205

d3bN2.png

XMk6Q.png

Thoughts?

I'd prefer a three piece, but again, I'm a style novice so I have no idea what the rules are. And for reference, my hair colour etc:

FyECs.png

Cheers.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First point...don't buy a three piece suit...too costumey
2nd point... don't for gods sake spend $1,000 for your first suit at 17...you will grow out of it quickly.

My suggestion, get a 250gbp suit at marks and spencer, and send it to a good tailor to get as good a fit as possible.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
on another note, that vest looks like dogshit

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of the above. It's better to get a less-expensive suit that fits than buy an expensive suit that doesn't. I think a solid three-piece can look very classic, and if that's what you have your heart set on....do it. But the one linked above is pretty bad.

Also, as seen here a million times prior, go with either Navy or Gray as they are the most versatile when it comes to accessories and also situations in which you'd wear it.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
First point...don't buy a three piece suit...too costumey
2nd point... don't for gods sake spend $1,000 for your first suit at 17...you will grow out of it quickly.

My suggestion, get a 250gbp suit at marks and spencer, and send it to a good tailor to get as good a fit as possible.

Excellent advice.

I bought a suit for my junior prom event and it was the only time I ever wore it. Thankfully my younger brothers got some use out of it for their junior proms and it was only a $200 job from Macy's (don't recall the brand).

Don't spend a lot. Get something that fits reasonably well and looks good on you. If you have a decent thrift/consignment selection, check those out to see if you can find something that works for you and get the suit tailored to fit perfectly (or as close as possible).

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please, don't go for M&S—their stuff is, generally, ****! This: Navy, twill, 2-button suit (you can, also, find some of their higher quality stuff in the sale section!) Google some sizing guides, on the net; you should measure your chest, arm length, etc, to determine your size! If you come back here, afterwards, we can give you tips if it needs tailoring!

Mystic-poot

Reaction score
Noted. I was planning on getting everything tailored anyway.

Any examples of good suits? Also, other than m&s what stores am I looking at for decent quality suits? I've got some Ted Baker vouchers lying around somewhere, are they worth looking into?

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charles Tyrwhitt and T.M. Lewin do good suits, for the price, in the U.K.!

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01
Charles Tyrwhitt and T.M. Lewin do good suits, for the price, in the U.K.!

Either should be very serviceable first suits that may or may not ever be worn again and won't break the bank.

*edit*
Decent Charcoal TM Lewin option from their Red Line which has a more trim, modern, fit. Very versatile suit and inexpensive. Spend the extra scratch on some decent shoes.

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mystic-poot
Noted. I was planning on getting everything tailored anyway.

Any examples of good suits? Also, other than m&s what stores am I looking at for decent quality suits? I've got some Ted Baker vouchers lying around somewhere, are they worth looking into?

Look for the Sartorial range at M&S which is of decent quality, TM Lewin, Charles Tyrwhitt and Suit Supply for entry level ~£300.

If you are going to spend £600 you could look a bit further, maybe Aquascutum or Ede and Ravenscroft, however I would be more inclined to get 2 suits at ~£300, especially if you have to wear a suit 5 times per week

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inimitable
Look for the Sartorial range at M&S which is of decent quality, TM Lewin, Charles Tyrwhitt and Suit Supply for entry level ~£300.

If you are going to spend £600 you could look a bit further, maybe Aquascutum or Ede and Ravenscroft, however I would be more inclined to get 2 suits at ~£300, especially if you have to wear a suit 5 times per week

the kid is 17 and in this 6th form thing...I'm going to assume he doesn't need to wear a suit 5 days a week.

Mystic-poot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
the kid is 17 and in this 6th form thing...I'm going to assume he doesn't need to wear a suit 5 days a week.

Oh, I am. Sixth-form is more sophisticated (around here, anyway) equivalent to college.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok, now I'm confused.

You are required to wear a suit everyday?

Mystic-poot

Reaction score
Most days, I've not got a solid timetable yet but it's usually 5 days a week.

Yachting Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by inimitable

This basically.

I wouldn't drop 600 pounds on a suit at 17. Depending on where you plan on attending Uni afterwards just take notice that when I was at Uni and would attend our formal meals in college typically some kind of food or drink went flying and would stain our gown's and suit's. Noted my friends and I were a rowdy bunch.

Also, at your age no one knows the difference between a good suit and a bad one. Hell most guys don't even know about what makes a good shoe.

Just buy a suit for half of your budget. Get the tailoring done properly. Get yourself a decent pair of shoes to match. If you can manage to do that you'll be looking better than 99% of the people your age, I promise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads