• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Suit

deputamadre

Reaction score
Similar to the post about New Suit/First Suit.
I'm in college right now and need to pick up a suit for some job interviews. I'd like to get something nice (not sartorial perfection, but not crap either) since I'll be using this for work as well. Ideally I'll spend under $1000. I am located in Richmond, VA and will have to make the purchase around here. Also, I am 6'6" and rather svelt, so about a 41. Will I need to go to a specialty Big/Tall store or would a department store have what I need? Any suggestions on good stores to pick one up? Nordstrom, Saks, Brooks Brothers? Will the store do the tailoring for me?

Thanks

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmm, sounds like a 41-42XL... people were mentioning Paul Stuart as a possible source, you may want to get in touch with them, or go there if you are in the NYC area?

Carey

Reaction score
I travel through Richomnd often, so I know your stores. Have you looked at Beecroft and Bull on Cary Street (149) just accross the river from the Country Club of Richmond? They are an excellent store, and may have something in your size marked down, too.

Do you have a car? Go to Nordstrom Rack in Dale City, VA. It is less than an hour and a half up I-95N. They have some Hickey-Freeman's in XL sizes for $599. I was there two weeks ago, and they had a variety of sizes. Shoes are worth chicking out, too. Great bargains. Many Allen Edmonds to choose from in the $100 + range. I think the Racks choice of shoes go up to size 13 or better.

I would recommend you buy a navy or charcoal solid in a two-button or a three button (where the top button hole is roled into the lapel's "V" and is meant to be fastened only by the center button). You will read the recommendation of these colors over and over here, as these tow colors are conservative and most easily forgotten. They might remember your pinstripe suit if you wear it again to the second interview. The key is to dress nicely and with a great tailored appearence, but that does not shout - "NBA" or "SportCenter" or worse - - MENS WAREHOUSE.

Don't pay retail at Saks in Stony Point or Nordstrom in Short Pump.

Try on a lot of things, then make your decision. This will take some travel and time. It is worth the effort.

Jolly Green

Reaction score
Is there an equivelant of Mr. Neds (custom NYC tailor starting at $700) up in DC? (if that's not too far away.)

Otherwise you might get measured and shop Ebay. There are a lot of good bargains to be found if you can find a reputable dealer and something in your size. Many sellers will list actual measurements to go along with the suit size.

Big and tall stores are pretty weak, in my expericence. Poor quality and a lot of "Big Dog" t-shirts.

Cheers,
D

deputamadre

Reaction score
I have a car, so I'll go check out Nordstrom Rack. Where should I get my measurements done? Should I get those done, then find a suit that fits somewhat well, then take it to a tailor?

Thanks for the help.

Jolly Green

Reaction score
If you get one "off the rack," you shouldn't need to get measurements. Just try on till you find one that fits. measurements will be required if you buy online, etc.

You might head over to your local "Borders" bookstore and see if you can find Alan Flusser's "Dressing the Man: The Art of Permanent Fashion." $45. For some reason it seems like Borders always has a copy. I can't find anything at Barnes & Nobles. Either buy it or sit down with a cup of coffee and read the suit section for suggestions on how a suit should fit. AF is a little "old school" and stuffy, but won't lead you wrong. Great pics and very good information.

Cheers,
D

Carey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deputamadre
I have a car, so I'll go check out Nordstrom Rack. Where should I get my measurements done? Should I get those done, then find a suit that fits somewhat well, then take it to a tailor? Thanks for the help.
Wear a dress shirt that you would wear with your new suit. If you don't have one, buy one. This will help you accurately judge the garment. The markings for alterations will come after you decide to purchase the garment. You might want to just go into the Nordstrom at Short Pump, or the Beecroft and Bull, or to a Jos. A Bank. You are just looking around, so these retailers will be more than happy to help you find your size. You are not obligated to buy. You are becoming an educated shopper. Just becuase you go test drive a BMW or a Chevy does not commit you to purchasing either make. You are just trying to find what works for you. One of these places will measure your chest and arm length and point you to some suit-coats to try on. After you know your appropriate size, then go up to Dale City. Potomac Mills, where Nordstrom Rack is, also has a Brooks Brothers outlet. I would not trust the floor help at the Rack or any other discount store to give you an accurate assesment as to your proper suit size; however, you can most likely get halfway decent alterations, if you only need sleeve length and trouser hem. If the jacket needs to be fitted, consider a real tailor in Richmond, or even the Nordstrom in Richmond. It will cost more than the free alterations, but the key is to look like a million bucks.

Carey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
At around $1000, I think you could get full canvas Sameulsohn MTM, which you may need given your height. The website says they are at Beecroft and Bull.
that might not fit in two or three years? Last year (summer of '06) I bought an OTR Samuelsohn from Beecroft and Bull for $600.00. One is hard-pressed to do a Samuelsohn made to measure for $1,000 bucks even in an A or B range fabric. This store has excellent customer service and is definately worth a visit, they might even have a few 40 - 42XL suits. My personal experience is that at the age of 22 I was a 39L. By the time I was 25, I was a 41L. I think most men fill-out during these years. My chest and back became fuller, and I was not lifting weights, although I was running and doing push-ups all through college and through most of my twenties. At the age of 45 I am still a 42L, and my my waist is a 36 and I am trying to keep it there - too much pain to get to a 35 and no way a 34 with these hips. If you have the luxury of time, get the best suit you can find OTR. I am sure you will find a Hickey-Freeman, or maybe even a Corneliani at the Rack. I would only resort to MTM, if you can't find a good make OTR, and at a good price.

deputamadre

Reaction score
Ok, so I checked out Saks and Brooks Brothers. Nothing in my size...I'm a 41XL, yet Brooks Brothers only carries 42XL. They say they can make me a custom one, but it will cost probably $900+. Do they make good suits? I can choose the fabric, etc. (no idea which) I need to get this suit before the 18th (damn procrastination). I'm going to head up to Nordstrom Rack tomorrow to see if they'll possibly have my size. Where else should I try? Is Beecroft and Bull pretty expensive?
I'd like to get a nice suit, though I could easily outgrow it within a few months as I go to the gym often.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deputamadre
Ok, so I checked out Saks and Brooks Brothers. Nothing in my size...I'm a 41XL, yet Brooks Brothers only carries 42XL. They say they can make me a custom one, but it will cost probably $900+. Do they make good suits? I can choose the fabric, etc. (no idea which) I need to get this suit before the 18th (damn procrastination). I'm going to head up to Nordstrom Rack tomorrow to see if they'll possibly have my size. Where else should I try? Is Beecroft and Bull pretty expensive?
I'd like to get a nice suit, though I could easily outgrow it within a few months as I go to the gym often.

How loose is the 42 XL on you? If you have a dearth of other short-term options, and you believe you may fill out a bit more, the 42XL might not be such a bad compromise. If it's not too big, a tailor should be able to take it in for you.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
deputamadre

Que lindo nombre...
confused.gif

deputamadre

Reaction score
gracias tio. Should I try the Brooks Brothers custom suit, or go with something cheaper just for the interview?

southbound35

Reaction score
If you need a suit by the 18th, I'd suggest going to Brooks Brothers to see how the 42XL fits. Since they are a chain and have a few different styles, they can probably have just about any style/color FedEx'ed the next day from one of their other stores. I'm presuming they have the capability of checking inventory at other stores. Time is running short and your tailor (or BB's) will need some lead time to have it ready for you by the 18th.

deputamadre

Reaction score
I tried another store (Franco's at Shortpump) and found a Hickey Freeman that fit me pretty well in 42XL. Shoulders are pretty much perfect, small amount of room in the front. It's $895, charcoal gray with very light blue windowpanes. I may buy it, though I'm going to try Nordstrom Rack this weekend. I guess I'll look for some 42XL's up in Potomac. What type of shoes should I buy? I know black, but style-wise... wingtips?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads