• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First suit

ILikeBacon

Reaction score
I'm in highshool and I'm looking to get my first suit.

I was looking for something around 500-800$.
I was thinking J.Crew but I heard that they have big/high armholes and extremely thin lapels?
What about Banana Republic? I heard they're quality is questionable...

Basically though I want the best fitting/best quality suit for that price range? Any suggestions?
I'm around 5'7, 5'8. Normal/athletic build.

was385

Reaction score
I'd look around ebay. Plenty of deals to be had there and you're more than likely going to outgrow anything you buy. Can easily pick up a nice suit there for around $200 or less.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Find a decent suit for under $400 and then use the rest of the money on tailoring. I doubt you will find a suit that fits you perfectly off the rack.

HarleyBob

Reaction score
wow, you are setting yourself up for a really fun time by asking that question on this forum. You are young, just go to men's warehouse, jab, etc and get a reasonable priced suit. Enjoy it and once you have graduated from college, then worry about getting nice suits.

Petrus1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ILikeBacon

I was thinking J.Crew but I heard that they have big/high armholes and extremely thin lapels?

Basically though I want the best fitting/best quality suit for that price range? Any suggestions?

If you're in HS then you'll probably outgrow it very quickly. Don't buy used clothes(they're worth nothing and you'll waste money altering it) These are very nice because they good but inexpensive and you can purchase the jacket and trousers seperately.
http://www.landsend.com/ix/Men/UserS...ed&pageSize=72

was385

Reaction score
What's wrong with used for him. He's going to wear the suit infrequently for a couple years and then probably donate it or throw it away. Really doesn't matter what you get just make sure it fits well.

Zachgranstrom

Reaction score

Petrus1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Petrus1
If you're in HS then you'll probably outgrow it very quickly. Don't buy used clothes(they're worth nothing and you'll waste money altering it) These are very nice because they good but inexpensive and you can purchase the jacket and trousers seperately.
http://www.landsend.com/ix/Men/UserS...ed&pageSize=72

P.S. In the past you had to buy the entire suit together but due to advances in technology the dyes for the top and bottoms will now match perfectly so you can buy seperates. Brooks Bros actually began this about 10 years ago and I didn't mention them because they're miuch more expensive. The good thing about seperates is that you can get a better fit and will rearely need alterations Suits are usually made with a 6" drop so a 42 will come with 36" trousers. If you have a very slim waist the pants will have to be taken in. You don't have this problem with seperates. Or say you rip you pants. No problem because you can just order another exact match instead of having a useless suit jacket.
Here's the Brooks seperates-

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatS...Section_Id=249

ILikeBacon

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys!

Well I'm like 17 almost 18 so will I actually grow that much? I really hope so. I don't like being 5"7/5"8.

Also, what is "drop"? Is it just the difference between the size of the jacket and the waist of the pants? So since I'm 38" chest and 30" waist, I'd need a 8" drop?

runner-guy

Reaction score

Okay, you have a few options. First, it's important to know what size suit you actually need. You can do this by getting measured at a Men's Wearhouse or Macy's (you don't need to buy a suit at these places though). Once you know what size suit you need, you can open up your options to some online sources. Wizard of Ahhs on Ebay, as mentioned earlier, features some very well constructed suits well within your price range and they are better quality than what you'd buy at a department store. I own a Marco Valentino from there and it's very nice. You could also try ebay and look for quality brands. Some used suits on ebay are tailored though, so you should know your approximate sleeve length, inseam, etc. Whatever suit you get, make sure it's 100% wool and you'll want to get flat front trousers. Finally, find a decent tailor in your area and get the suit tailored to your body. If you do this, you'll look better than 95% of the guys from your school.

Petrus1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by was385
What's wrong with used for him. He's going to wear the suit infrequently for a couple years and then probably donate it or throw it away. Really doesn't matter what you get just make sure it fits well.

The idea of wearing someone else's used clothes or shoes just sounds insanitary and creepy to me unless you're some homeless guy who gets free clothes at the Salvation Army. There are people on here who even think selling used "bespoke" shoes is a good idea. Bespoke shoes are made from a plaster of paris mould of your foot which is then made into a last on which the shoe is made, so unless the guy is your identical twin brother the shoe will even fit worse than some new cheap shoe you buy new and which will adapt itself to your foot.

Petrus1

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys!

Well I'm like 17 almost 18 so will I actually grow that much? I really hope so. I don't like being 5"7/5"8.

Also, what is "drop"? Is it just the difference between the size of the jacket and the waist of the pants? So since I'm 38" chest and 30" waist, I'd need a 8" drop?

This why I recommended the seperates. Most suits have a 6" drop so if you buy each piece seperately you can get a good fit without alterations.

And yes, at your age you can still grow. I had a friend who was always like the smallest kid and he suddenly grew to about 6'1" very late. You'd really have to look at your own family. Did they have a growth spurt later than most teens etc?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Petrus1
The idea of wearing someone else's used clothes or shoes just sounds insanitary and creepy to me unless you're some homeless guy who gets free clothes at the Salvation Army. There are people on here who even think selling used "bespoke" shoes is a good idea. Bespoke shoes are made from a plaster of paris mould of your foot which is then made into a last on which the shoe is made, so unless the guy is your identical twin brother the shoe will even fit worse than some new cheap shoe you buy new and which will adapt itself to your foot.
I'm surprised that we haven't yet seen 'used, but one careful owner' Zimerelli underwear being offered for sale. The selling of used bespoke shoes is indeed bizarre.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads