• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First suit: worth keeping?

Svdharma

Reaction score
Newbie here, hoping y'all could answer some questions for me.

I just bought my first suite used and I wanted to see if it is worth tailoring or if I should return it. I'm looking for a suit I can wear to interviews, social events, and wedding/funerals/etc.

Here's me in the suit I bought on ebay. Apologies for the mirror selfies. It's a solid charcoal Pal Zileri Gruppo 38R in Cerrutti s100's that looks like it's never been worn:
20180907_115854.jpg

Here's my natural silloutte. There's 6" of overlap at the middle button in this photo:
15363457211645833569503161809176.jpg

Side view. The fabric behind the collar is bunched because I'm turning my head a bit:
20180907_120034.jpg

My actual size is more like 36L but those don't really exist, so I went with 38R knowing there are some great tailors/bespoke garment makers in my area that could make it fit. The suit looked like a 3 roll 2 with a neutral gorge on ebay, but turned out to be an older hard 3 with a low gorge and heavy shoulder pads. I wanted the neutral gorge and 3 button to make me look heavier because in a well fitting shirt I look like a holocaust survivor. I guess I have three main questions:

1) Does the suit strike you as dated, between the low gorge and lapel roll?

2) Do you think the cut/style looks good on me? (Ignoring size)

3) If I decided to keep it, what alterations would you have done? I'm thinking take in the chest and waist, either have the shoulders brought in or some of the padding removed, slimming the pants, and taking the inseam in a bit? I know that's more work than you would typically have done on an OTR jacket but it's not like I'm likely to find a 36L (searching ""size 36L" suit" on ebay returns 1 relevant listing in the USA). Probably a few hundred bucks worth of work for what should amount to a semi-custom suit; assuming I can find a tailor who's up to the job?

3.5) On a side note, is there a name for fabric that has subtle horizontal variations in color due to, I'm assuming, color variations in the yarn? Does most solid suiting have that effect on close examination?

<Edited mostly for grammar>

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads