Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

First Suit - SuitSupply Vigo Street MTM?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pleco, Oct 23, 2012.

1. pleco

pleco Well-Known Member

I'm about to buy what I would consider my first proper suit(s), since previously I've used horrid ones from the high street that didn't fit properly.

I'm a 36R, 5'10" pretty slim and relatively athletic though I have a slight gut. I have a slightly stooped posture (head forward, butt out, pronounced lumbar curvature). These things are probably impossible to get a good fit for RTW and aren't likely to be well addressed with MTM. I can just about fit into 36R pants at a 30" waist, but 32" is a lot more comfortable, which is partly why I'm looking at MTM, but I'd also like a better fit.

I have a budget of about £1000 to spend on 2 suits, these will be my main ones in charcoal and navy solids (I'm considering extra trousers for them too). I'm going to take a trip to Bicester in case I can find anything good before I go to get measured at SS.

Next time I'll get pictures from all angles, was pretty absent minded when I got these taken. The first 2 are the Sienna in a 36R, second is a Havana in 36R. I actually liked the Havana enough to consider grabbing one.

Questions:
    1. Does the natural shoulder suit my build or should I be opting for a rounder shoulder?
    2. Can I ask get these built with a bit of extra material so that they would survive my physique changing or is this standard?
    3. Should I buy one suit at a time rather than getting both done together?
    4. Is the Havana a good quality sport coat and does it fit me well (from what you can see, sorry for the limited photo).
    5. Is it worth the £229 price tag or would I be best off hunting in Bicester for sport coats?

Appreciate any guidance, thank you in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

At Bicester, your first stop should be Pal Zileri and see if you can find any Pal Zileri Sartoriale

In terms of the suit, get one made first and wear it a two/three times, to see if you need any alterations and then a second suit made. If you end up with RTW suits, get one altered first, wear it a few times (it may need further alterations) and then get the second suit altered.

Have you considered any other options, such as Cad & The Dandy, Ede & Ravenscoft (they have a mtm offers in November), etc?

3. pleco

pleco Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, Cad and Dandy don't seem to have the best rep, are they worth considering? Ede & Ravenscroft could be very interesting, do you know what the pricing is like when MTM is on offer?