• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First suit.. shirt sleeves? (pic)

itskub

Reaction score
Hello, first suit here for a 20 y/o. Its from H&M, had it tailored. I was expecting wearing a suit to be confining and restricting a bit, but its just as comfortable as my other clothes. Anyway, whats up with my sleeve length? Im 6'3", so I had a 38L. When picking up my suit I asked my tailor to measure me for a dress shirt, 15" / 34-35". This shirt is by BOSS, and its that exact size, but why do the sleeves come down so far? Did she measure me incorrectly?
I would rather have a slight cropped look with my suit then a droopy look, so I thought the coat sleeves and length was fine.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you button the shirt cuffs? Looks like the suit sleeve is 1/2" too short and your shirt sleeve may be a tad too long but cannot say for sure if the cuffs are not buttoned

itskub

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Well like I said Im 6'3", a size 36R coat fit me also, but obviously was way too shorts, so i opted for the 38L. The sleeves were already lengthed on this one so its as much as Im going to get.
The shirt cuffs are unbuttoned. You think the shirt is a "tad" too long? I was worried its way too long .lol.
I was going to have it taken in on the sides (like with all of my button ups), but I think Ill get the sleeves shortend as well, and bring the coat to make sure some of the cuff is visible.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How can you be 6'3" and wear a 36R? What am I missing here?
confused.gif

Again, it's not possible to judge if the shirt sleeves are too long if you don't button the cuffs (which is how a shirt is worn by the way...). If unbuttoned on this pic, then the shirt sleeves are probably the right length

Razeus

Reaction score
Hmmm...I'm 5'9 and I wear a 38R. My sleeve is 32/33 or 34 depending on maker.
something not adding up with you.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by itskub
Thanks for the reply. Well like I said Im 6'3", a size 36R coat fit me also, but obviously was way too shorts, so i opted for the 38L.
Looking at the second pic, I think you need a 36L: the jacket doesn't fit around your chest, shoulders, and neck. If these sleeves are let out as far as they'll go, I suppose you need a 36XL. Which probably means MTM. Get Smart's Thick As Thieves could certainly accommodate you...

oldseed

Reaction score
guys, read carefully what the original poster said. he IS wearing a "L".

the problem with the suit is it's still too short, not just the sleeves, but the buttom of the suit is wrist-high when it should be lower than that (and in my personal opinion, much lower, at least at his knuckles). but that's what u get at H&M/zara. it's for short and skinny people.

the short jacket is trendy but not what i'd recommend for a first suit...

also button up the shirt so we can see what it actually looks like. i don't see why u'd take a picture of u wearing a shirt unbuttoned... i suppose if u wanna look hollywood, then go ahead and leave the shirt unbuttoned and wear a blazer that's too short.

seed

Cocophone

Reaction score
I thought the basic rule was for the jacket to cover your rear.

billiebob

Reaction score
It looks like you could use a jacket around 3 inches longer. It doesn't even come close to covering your butt. As it is now, the button stance is super high as well. If the sleeves have already been lengthened, the only thing you can do is to shorten the sleeves (by buttoning the cuffs to start). Truly, the suit just is not close to the right size.

itskub

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I was pretty much expecting MTM suggestions, and I geuss in the end MTM is only $100-150 more then what this cost, but its too late for that now. I wish H&M had 36L , I checked every suit in the Philly store but didn't come across that size and they were fully stocked.
Well only thing left to do is gain muscle for the summer.
smile.gif

I dont want you guys thinking I just picked up a suit because i 'had' to and only wear it when its required. I browse these forums often and appreciate quaility and well-fitting clothing, but Ill just have to wait for a real job until I can afford that.
Thank you

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Aside from the suit, there's still the issue of the shirt sleeve length. The measurement of 34-35 isn't really specific; you either need a 34 or a 35. If you're a 34 and buy shirts with sleeves marked 34-35, they'll be too long. If the cuff buttons tightly around your wrist, that's not a major issue, because the sleeve will just bunch up a bit. But if the cuff is large, it will extend too far into your palm. It would be good to find out your exact measurement, for future reference. (And this is one reason it's good to buy RTW shirts with precisely sized sleeves.)

Once you've washed your shirt a few times and gotten all the shrinkage out of the way, you might want to have the sleeve length altered for a more exact fit. If you're like me and have arms of slightly unequal lengths, a tailor can adjust for that, too. You'll just need to buy a shirt that can accomodate the longer arm.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads