First Suit Fit Check?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by esaul17, Oct 26, 2012.

1. esaul17

esaul17 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  2. minervau

minervau Senior member

Well, it's an extremely modern look, much more so than the conventional wisdom around these parts. I'm fine with the fashion forward thing, actually, but I think this is a bit too extreme in that:

1) The jacket length is very short. Jackets are getting shorter nowadays, as is the trend, but the classic length for a jacket was one that would cover your butt. An inch or two short might be OK, but based on the photos it looks like your jacket is about halfway down, so it just looks like you're wearing a size too small, or a short instead of a regular.

2) In the same vein, the button stance is REALLY high. It seems like it's buttoning at your sternum or just slightly below, which leads to the lapels ending very high up on the body. This throws off their proportions and also in general makes it seem like you're wearing a jacket that's too small for you. This also makes the lapels super-skinny, since a broad lapel coming from so high up on the chest would look quite awkward.

Overall the fit through the body -- shoulders, chest, waist -- looks very good. If anything a bit snug, but not in an uncomfortable way. My recommendation would be to try sizing up one size in that suiting brand and see if it still works for you.

3. esaul17

I see thank you. I was worried about the length. I tried on this jacket (http://imgur.com/Oh83I) when out too, do you think it fits any better?

4. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

I have a general rule about jacket length. If you hang your arms to the sides, the jacket should come down to about the end of your thumb. I guess this differs based on your arm length though, but it does apply to most people. This general rule is for a classic look, but not one of these hip modern looks. To me, the jacket looks very short and the pants maybe a bit too long.

5. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

Not even close.

6. esaul17

You think it worse than the initial one? What in particular is wrong with it?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  7. minervau

minervau Senior member

Both jackets seem quite short. You don't necessarily need to size up in the chest size and shoulders, which look really good. But you're a tall guy, are you putting on a Regular? Try a Long if they have them.

8. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

As mentioned jackets are way too short - the simple rule of thumb is the jacket should cover your ass, that covers about 1/2 of it

9. esaul17

They don't carry L's. But since I thought they were long enough in the sleeves the jacket was probably not too short overall.

Thanks for all the feedback.

10. gambit50

gambit50 Senior member

Pretty much just repeating what has been said. It is plain too short in the jacket regardless if you are going for a classic or contempo look. It is way beyond and not good. Is that two or three button? Either way, button stance as mentioned by Minervau.
    And for more repetition, pants are too long if you want them to be properly fitting.
    To complete the repeat, try a long if that is possible(and you were in a reg).
    That second pic of the jacket in the store is just completely awful.

11. esaul17

Are you able to tell me what exactly is terrible about it so I know for the future?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  12. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Return it. Nothing fits. Anywhere.

13. GBR

GBR Senior member

+ several!

And don't buy from that shop again - no self respecting commission grasping sales assistant should have allowed you out with that.

14. esaul17

Past suit will be returned. I found a 40L now, seems a lot better to me:

http://imgur.com/a/qHlL0

Could I get opinions on it (also updated the initial post).

15. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

Can't tell much. Pants seem too tight.