• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Suit and Professional Wardrobe (Need Advice) - Toronto

Dethevn

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been a long-time lurker of SF and I'm extremely indecisive so I was wondering if I could get some advice in regards to starting my business-formal wardrobe. I did do a search before someone calls me out, I just need a few opinions before I splurge
smile.gif

I'm going to be graduating soon and am in need of a suit (or suits) for interviews and general office wear in fairly conservative auditing/accounting firms in Toronto. I've searched around several threads and guides and the general consensus I hear is to start with a navy blue and charcoal suit.

I recently received a pretty hefty grant so my budget is around $1800 but I need this to buy me a suit(s), a decent pair of shoes, a few shirts, and a few ties.

From the threads I've read, I hear Thick as Thieves is a good place to buy your first suit as I'm mostly concerned with fit and I've only heard good things about the suits there. The two that stand out to me from ToT are the conservative and the three button house cut, would these be a good choice for interviews/office work? I've also generally heard that Toronto is pretty terrible for suits in general so I'd prefer not to waste time carousing if that is the case. The retail stores that I have been to are pretty (and frustratingly, if I may add) inconsistent in sizing me so its just confusing me and is the reason why I'm partially deterred from buying something in B&S as my first suit. I've also read several threads on people struggling with non-conformance between chest size and jacket size which worries me even further from buying a suit just by chest size.

So my main question is, should I pay a little extra and get a better suit elsewhere or buy both a navy and charcoal suit from ToT? I think two would fit into my budget depending on the fabric. The other sources I've heard mentioned here are Ralph Lauren, Corneliani, and Brooks Brothers but two of these (new) would not fit into my budget considering they are priced anywhere from $800-$1600 from what I've seen. I would consider these suits in B&S if I knew my proper measurements, but I don't as I mentioned above.

As a side question, I also need a pair of dress shoes and was wondering if something like the Alden plain toe blucher would work well with the suits I mentioned, because I saw a decently cheap pair in burgundy in my size. Or would a black shoe be more appropriate?

Thank you!

Dethevn

Pastafarian

Reaction score
2 Z Zegna suits on sale would go for about 450 each.

i first 2 suits were Z Zegna. Blue and Charcoal.

I still wear them occasionally today. that was 7 years ago.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black shoes are more appropriate.

For someone new to suits, don't buy online what you can't try on first. It should be possible to visit local retailers to be measured and explore various models that might be available online. Another option is to buy a suit during a road trip to a location with better prices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads