• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First suit (and first post) -- please critique

bigskydream

Reaction score
What do you think of the fit of my first suit? Please tell me the good and the bad. I am particularly worried about the jacket waist being too tight. I'm worried that I got a little too exicted about the whole slim fit idea and had them take it in too much. What do you think? When it's buttoned, I can stick my hand in between the jacket and my chest/belly. What about the cuff and pant lengths? Thanks in advance!

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place.
wink.gif
Our more highly skilled members can make recommendations from just a glance at photos like this, but for me to say anything I'd need brighter lighting. (I think I can just make out a roll below the collar?) And why does everyone pose with their arms sticking out funny?
smile.gif
Can the experts recommend ideal camera angles around the shoulders for depiciting the key aspects of fit? Oh, and I can tell you now to expect flack about the shoes.
biggrin.gif

bigskydream

Reaction score
Jared, thanks for the feedback. I know...the shoes suck. I probably should have bought new shoes before the suit but I had to start somewhere. New brown shoes will be my next purchase.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Welcome. Looks good. I don't have a problem with the waist suppression, but how does it feel in chest and shoulders? You're standing so stiffly I can't really tell if you have decent range of motion if you move your arms around. Try some more natural poses.
Pant length looks fine.
Sleeves are probably a touch on the long side, although that's very much one of those YMMV issues. I'd prefer to see the shirt cuffs falling to about where the jacket cuffs end now, with the jacket 1/4" or so higher than that. In these photos, it looks like the shirt cuffs creep past the base of your thumb and onto your palm a bit (which also could mean that you need narrower shirt cuffs).
Also, I'd try photographing yourself (and observing yourself in the mirror) fully dressed, meaning with your shirt fully buttoned and wearing a tie you'd be likely to wear with the suit. You want to evaluate how it will look as part of a complete outfit, not in isolation.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some reason, it looks like there isn't enough "flair" to the skirt of the jacket. Instead of starting wide in the shoulder, then suppressing in the waist, and then going back out again at the hips, this jacket goes straight down from the waist to the hips.

Also, it looks to me like the entire jacket might be too long, though it's hard to tell because of the lighting in the pictures.

The pants look good.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
For some reason, it looks like there isn't enough "flair" to the skirt of the jacket. Instead of starting wide in the shoulder, then suppressing in the waist, and then going back out again at the hips, this jacket goes straight down from the waist to the hips.

Also, it looks to me like the entire jacket might be too long, though it's hard to tell because of the lighting in the pictures.

The pants look good.

i thought the same about the waist suppression and the skirt not being flaired out naturally.
it looks as though it is a cylinder from the waist down.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The first thing that stuck out (to my eyes) was the jacket length. It's a bit too long, and while not comically so, you could benefit aesthetically from a slightly shorter coat.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's really not that bad at all. It's not too slim. Try only buttoning the middle button of the jacket.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
The first thing that stuck out (to my eyes) was the jacket length. It's a bit too long, and while not comically so, you could benefit aesthetically from a slightly shorter coat.

I think if he put his arms at his side, the finger tips would touch the bottom of the jacket, which is how it is traditionally supposed to fit. I personally like my jackets an inch or two shorter than that at least.

The bottom doesn't flare, like some people said. Did you take out those stitches that close the vents when you buy it? If you had it altered did they only take in the back center seam? When I get my suits altered I have them take in the two rear side seams (which costs more), but gives it a more contoured fit.

The main thing I really like about the suit is that the shoulders seem to fit right. If the shoulders don't fit, the suit will never look right. The sleeves need to be taken up half inch to an inch.

The pants work well. Just the right amount of break.

If you got a good deal on the suit then I would keep it. If you can get a different size though I'd get a Regular instead of Long to see how it fits.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think it looks pretty good.

If it was a MTM/bespoke suit, then there would be a lot more to be said, but overall it looks good.

I agree with getting the jacket sleeves shortened a little, and fixing the cuffs though.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i would think if your sleeves are that long when your arms are flared out like that, you wouldn't be showing any cuffs (sleeves too long) when they are by your side. - oops. just repeated what everyone said. I actually like the amount of waist suppression. Not too extreme, but good for a "slim" fit. About the "flair" in the skirt, it should make for a better basis of judgement if you posted another pic of you standing properly
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads