• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Sports Jacket - What to look out for?

Stonesy88

Reaction score
Hi,

I have decided to commission my first ever sports jacket from a local tailor, and was looking for some advice as to what I should expect.

The jacket is costing me a total of £450 which includes the following as requested:

• Harrisons of Edinburgh - Grey Flannel 250g
  • Real Horn buttons
  • Half Canvassed
  • Stitch detail around lapel, front of jacket and pockets
  • Working Cuffs

I went in two weeks ago and was fully measured, discussed in length what I required, detail etc - they have told me a bespoke pattern will be made for me, which I will then return to for a fitting, adjustments made etc, then a second fitting and then a final one with the jacket fully made up and then any minor adjustments.

In total I was told it will take around 8-10 weeks from start to finish.

I guess my question is am I getting a good deal, and what if anything should I be looking out for to ensure I am getting a proper service?

Many Thanks

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi,

I have decided to commission my first ever sports jacket from a local tailor, and was looking for some advice as to what I should expect.

The jacket is costing me a total of £450 which includes the following as requested:

• Harrisons of Edinburgh - Grey Flannel 250g
  • Real Horn buttons
  • Half Canvassed
  • Stitch detail around lapel, front of jacket and pockets
  • Working Cuffs

I went in two weeks ago and was fully measured, discussed in length what I required, detail etc - they have told me a bespoke pattern will be made for me, which I will then return to for a fitting, adjustments made etc, then a second fitting and then a final one with the jacket fully made up and then any minor adjustments.

In total I was told it will take around 8-10 weeks from start to finish.

I guess my question is am I getting a good deal, and what if anything should I be looking out for to ensure I am getting a proper service?

Many Thanks

Have you seen any of this tailors work? Most importantly, you want the jacket to fit and to be well made. Hopefully you've seen some of his work and were happy with the results.

Have you considered a navy flannel instead of grey? Navy is always the best choice for a first jacket.

Stonesy88

Reaction score
He had a few suit jackets in a chest size comparable to my usual off the shelf choice, and those were well made from what I could tell - certainly better than anything I've purchased from a regular store.

I was just concerned around the construction process, particularly as this gent is approx 70 years old; one would assume he knows his trade. He told me not to get a canvassed jacket and advised a floating/stiched jacket would be better suited to the chosen fabric.

His comments vs what I've read here is what has made me start to worry.

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Multiple fittings is a good sign. I wouldn't expect full canvassing for £450. Half canvassing is maligned here by some but at your price point it's fine. Fit will be infinitely more important than whether it is full or half canvassed.

Honestly it is very hard to know for sure what you will get until you have your first jacket made. This is the nature of custom tailoring. Don't expect your first jacket to be perfect but do ask a lot of questions at your fittings and express your preferences. Good luck!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads