• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First real suit for a skinny guy

RyanO1991

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and have really enjoyed reading people's posts here. Everyone seems well informed so I thought I'd ask a question.

I'm exploring buying my own first real suit and Suit Supply caught my eye, as I'm skinny (32 inch chest, 29 waist) and they seemed to cater for the slimmer guy.

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue in struggling to decide which fit to go for. I don't live close to a store so online is really my only option, and I was veering between Lazio, Napoli, Sienna and Havana (although the Napoli and Sienna might be too boxy for my frame).

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You cannot hope to buy your first suit online and no one can guess anything at all from that scant description. Try to avoid a disaster by either travelling to a Suit Supply shop, (requires effort), or else going to a local shop, (less effort). Either will bring far more satisfactory a result.

You might even consider a bricks and mortar shop for MTM if there is one where the staff understand their jobs rather than variously following a manual or guessing the bits that they do not understand. However do not even think about online MTM, (no effort) - if you have read any of the threads here, that is a route to a complete disaster.

In an age when it appears to be online or bust, there are still occasions when bricks and mortar shops are the only choice.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
SuSu offers a nice return policy, so it's not courting too much disaster to buy online. If your first attempt doesn't work out you can return if for an exchange or refund so you aren't risking much other than time. If you do buy online, I'd suggest going a size larger than you usually wear if you want a more classic look (SuSu tends to recommend the super slim/short look). Also, I'd stay away from their blue and purple lines. Quality and fabrics are not good IMO. If you can afford go spend a little more, the red line is a nice value.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads